Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Question The earth is growing?

Notice he doesn't mention where the water is coming from? Or maybe it's just obvious and i'm a bit dense. lol.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
very interesting!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
the overall theory is intriguing. and he does make some very solid points... and that would go along with some other theories ive been contemplating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
Notice he doesn't mention where the water is coming from? Or maybe it's just obvious and i'm a bit dense. lol.
most all water on earth/mars/wherever is believed to come from both comet/asteroid/meteor strikes bringing frozen ice to the planet as well as nucleosynthesis bonding hydrogen and oxygen atoms over billions of years
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Sorry, but the current theory makes much more sense. I loved how they kept slowly morphing the land masses to 'fit' the theory.

I sure hope Al Gore doesn't get ahold of this. He'll find a way to make money off of it.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Haloman1346
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
This guy (the person who made that vid) should be shot in the face.

Love how he said something along the lines of "Scientist dont want to admit its wrong because 200+ years of research would be for nothing."

THATS THE BEAUTY OF SCIENCE...... If something is wrong, we change it and start making up new theories based on the new evidence....

Scientist thought the earth was flat in the 13-1400's... they admited it was wrong..... and they began to investigate and gather more information based on the newly found eviedence that the earth was round.

Like I said before...THAT guy should be shot in the face with a large, metal, spherical object.
Haloman1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
the overall theory is intriguing. and he does make some very solid points... and that would go along with some other theories ive been contemplating.
Same here. And the growth thing would make sense in that the material closer to the core of the planet it much denser and as it nears the surface it has to expand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
most all water on earth/mars/wherever is believed to come from both comet/asteroid/meteor strikes bringing frozen ice to the planet as well as nucleosynthesis bonding hydrogen and oxygen atoms over billions of years
But we have such a ridiculously high amount of water. And i don't think nucleosynthesis can occur naturally on earth. with the exception of possibly the core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman1346 View Post
Scientist thought the earth was flat in the 13-1400's... they admited it was wrong..... and they began to investigate and gather more information based on the newly found eviedence that the earth was round.
Actually scientist knew that the earth was round for almost a thousand years before that. The main thing holding the common man from finding out was the fear of torture from the religious folk. Same thing with the ear revolving around the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Sorry, but the current theory makes much more sense. I loved how they kept slowly morphing the land masses to 'fit' the theory.

I sure hope Al Gore doesn't get ahold of this. He'll find a way to make money off of it.
I think the two theories could coexist actually. Cause we do have evidence of subduction. The fact that they newest part of the sub-atlantic shelve is smoother nearer to that fault line and rockier near edges of the continent could mean that as stress was placed on the older rock it crumbled as it was being pushed away faster than the plates were shifting to accommodate the new land.

I don't think it's a giant conspiracy i just think that introducing too many theories that aren't yet developed enough would cause unneeded duress amongst people that it really doesn't matter to. So until you have all the kinks worked out why bother discussing it with the layman? If he's interested he'll look for it and maybe come across it but there is no point in worrying the common folk with something that while possibly important, immediately means nothing to them.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
LOL, you must be bored

btw...Where does the damn water come from???
Old 03-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

God!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
This makes me very curious. Based on this hypothesis then, it would mean Mars would have to be considerably younger than earth correct?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:

Let me ask you a question....Is glass a solid or a liquid?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
PQ
Booooosted.

A solid.

Because it's our perception of solid liquid or gas. To another being who is more accute of senses and could actually see time in a much slower rate they may perceive it as a gelatinous liquid.

So to us it's a solid. Ice is considered a solid. Until it heats up. You could put glass in a frozen environment and it wouldn't settle.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
A solid.

Because it's our perception of solid liquid or gas. To another being who is more accute of senses and could actually see time in a much slower rate they may perceive it as a gelatinous liquid.

So to us it's a solid. Ice is considered a solid. Until it heats up. You could put glass in a frozen environment and it wouldn't settle.
That is exactly my point in the question. Glass IS a liquid, you can't ignore a physical property just because you don't perceive it.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Amen some one said GOD and it wasn't me! I was waiting to see how long that took
Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Interesting...If I were to guess "why"...I'd say the core(s) of the earth are getting less dense. Clearly you can't make matter...and I doubt that much junk crashed into the planet over such a 'short' period of time...so the mantle must be expanding -- that's actually pretty cool.

The water? There's tons of crap (gases, too) hidden in the mantle. If it becomes less dense, it will release that stuff -- most of it was probably hydrogen and oxygen to begin with. Which when combined, we all know makes water. (Not to mention the ice-balls hitting the planet over those millions and billions of years)

It stops, I hope? I'd hate for the planet to expand till we're just a cloud of debris....