Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
EvenPrime

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Convertible
My new Winter Rim's and Tires

Not that I expect my car to ever see snow, I do live up in Canada (Vancouver) and the weather is now so cold that my stock summer tires are beyond useless. I was sliding everywhere just regular driving (still 60% tread). (I think the stock tires are garbage even in hot weather - I've always wondered if I just got a crappy set or do they all suck this bad).

So I decided to bite the bullet and buy rims and tires, that way it was a simple change out.

My ride with summer stock rims and tires;

Rims now sitting in my bedroom (Best place for them - helps me sleep at night haha)

I decided to go with Ruffino Boss Anthracite Rims with Pirelli 285/35R20 Winter 240 Sottozero Series II tires all around.

I can now accelerate again

Close up

ll

Sorry about the quality of the pictures: Damn iphone.

This setup cost me a total of $3543. I thought it was quite a bit but I'm not complaining. I want to enjoy the car whenever the road is dry even at cold temperatures and my stock tires like I said were absolutely garbage.

Now remember 1 CAD = 0.89 American therefore the price for my fellow americans would be around ~$3150. Does this seem like a decent price?

I'm extrememly happy with the setup, plus the guys at Volco Tires were awesome and treated me like a top customer. Was nice for a change as I'm used to dealing with dealerships hehe.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
EvenPrime

FYI - I own both parking spots so its ok if Im across the line hehe
Old 11-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
brian-nicola

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Greetings from Nanaimo. Correct on the Goodyears, maybe on the track they are OK, but crap on the street. My winter shoes are Continental DWS.
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
wow Vancouver. nice area. i dont know how you handle the bitterly cold weather. i am surprised at the number of vert owners up in Canada. is it s short season? anyway, good luck with the new tires and rims! they look really nice and your ZL1 is bad ass! greetings from "cold" Kansas city.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenPrime View Post
FYI - I own both parking spots so its ok if Im across the line hehe
THIS is hilarious. Anticipating someone having an issue with it. I didn't even think about it.

I really like the looks of your rims and you have the best winter tires for the car. Very Nice.

I want something like that, but probably won't spend as much. I'll probably get Continental Extreme Contact DW?
Not sure.

Very nice.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
ichriscamaro
BlueDiamond

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE RRM
I have the Pirelli scorpion winter set with zl1 replicas on my 1LE for the winter months. I wanted the same 1LE look during winter driving. So my 1LE wheels and eagle tires are now sitting in the garage!
ichriscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
Todd in Vancouver

I'm also out in BC out in the Fraser Valley. I picked up a used set of SS wheels and a set of Blizzaks and they are great for Winter driving. The factory GY are great if you get some heat into them. I've had a bunch of track time with them this past Summer and after a few laps and some heat they do stick like glue but you have to get them hot.

I'd love to see some more Camaro guys come out for some racing fun so keep an eye on the posts and I also belong to the VCMC club and we have a lot of fun at the AutoX and track. It's the best way to see what these cars are really capable of.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
EvenPrime

I finally took them on the highway today. Dry weather (7 degrees Celsius). I guess there is a cost for any tire. I floored it at 90km and though she stuck firmly to the road I felt the car rising and feeling like it floated a bit. Had to put both hands on the steering wheel hehe.

A lot of Vert's in Canada for sure. Vancouver is decent year round weather compared to rest of Canada. I had the top down today (Probably shouldn't have though hehe....
Old 11-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
EvenPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
I'd love to see some more Camaro guys come out for some racing fun so keep an eye on the posts and I also belong to the VCMC club and we have a lot of fun at the AutoX and track. It's the best way to see what these cars are really capable of.
Man Oh Man ... I had a look at your other project, woah that looks like a lot of fun! I'll check out the VCMC club, I've never tracked a vehicle before, don't really know a lot of people involved. [Just moved to Vancouver last May ]

Cheers;
Old 11-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
if you can afford all that, then why not just get a winter beater?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
EvenPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
if you can afford all that, then why not just get a winter beater?
Well;
1) Because I bought this car to drive and enjoy as much as I can. We get a lot of dry clean days in the winter here, its just cold.

2) I'm actually shopping now for a winter beater truck now. I just didn't want to be restricted to driving my car 6 months of the year. It cost me 3500 bucks to get an extra 2-3 months per year. Worth it in my books
Old 11-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
Todd in Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenPrime View Post
Well;
1) Because I bought this car to drive and enjoy as much as I can. We get a lot of dry clean days in the winter here, its just cold.

2) I'm actually shopping now for a winter beater truck now. I just didn't want to be restricted to driving my car 6 months of the year. It cost me 3500 bucks to get an extra 2-3 months per year. Worth it in my books
I've been here for a decade and there are really a handful of days that the car stays parked and I'm with you 100% that I buy a car to drive and not sit nice and clean parked. Let me know what you want in a truck,mi was looking at one today for sale and its a nice clean chevy 4x4 owned by an old guy up the street from me.

This was my first year with VCMC and I had a blast, no experience necessary.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Nice set of wheels and tires

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #14
BALLEE

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
I am looking to get the same wheels. What size and offset did you get?
BALLEE is offline   Reply With Quote