Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
AngryMonkey

Drives: 2016 SS Camaro
Thunderbolt Hi Flow Cats destroyed after 4-5 months

I have a 2016 2SS. I installed a Borla ATAK full header exhaust April this year with “Thunderbolt” hi flow cats. A few weeks after installation I started hearing some rattling exhaust sounds. I thought something may have loosened up. I travel for work a lot so I didn’t get the car into the exhaust shop for diagnosis until yesterday. Turns out the hi flow cats were making all the noise and after only maybe 1500-2000 miles they completely fell apart inside. Shop says it’s due to the high heat out of the headers and it will keep happening and theybhad never seen cats break down like this so fast. I had them delete the cats and I’m now running just the Borla system headers, cross-pipe and then into the ATAK mufflers.

1- anyone have issues with Thunderbolt or other brand cats like this?

2- are there better cats out there anyone would suggest?

3- any other issues with tuning I need to address? I have a decent tune in it from RDP store via SCT tuner for the exhaust and cold air intake. Nothing modded under the hood.

I’m in VA and we have emissions inspection every 2 yrs which luckily won’t hit me until 2020.

Thanks.

AngryMonkey
AngryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Sounds like a warranty issue.. ? Manufacturing defect on part of exhaust (not GM per se).

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Kooks makes good cats
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
With long tube headers, o2 sensors no longer get up to proper temp and switch properly. Your tune is off and probably running rich and that will cause the cats to fail. Headers produce less heat because it escapes out the thin wall primaries instead of being held in like a manifold or shorty tri-y...That is why OEM's do not use long tube headers. That being said Kooks makes a good green cat that was designed to handle these conditions, but I would still get the tune checked.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Heat does not destroy cats there are made for high heat. They were either defective or the shop that installed them broke them during install. Its easy to do if they do not fit the opening a tech with to much hammer starts hitting them to hard to seat them. Replace the cats do not be a polluter.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
With long tube headers, o2 sensors no longer get up to proper temp and switch properly. Your tune is off and probably running rich and that will cause the cats to fail.
I think you would get a CEL with this.
The OP is talking about the cats falling apart in a matter of WEEKS! That sounds like a defective product or butchered install.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thunderbolt