Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #29
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
This is the conversation I have at every Caddy dealer. The ATS Premium loaded is almost 55K, so the ATS-V is going to be like 60/65K That is what the 2014 CTS-Vs are selling for now with discounts. Then there is the CTS V Sport, in premium trim with a couple options 80K So that means the CTS V, (if there is one) will be 90 to 100K That puts it right there against the M5, E63, and RS7 and that is some big boy company. Caddy has come a long way, but their service and materials are still not on par with the most upscale (M's AMG's S's)German cars.

We were also thinking about replacing my wife's Denali. That being said pricing has yet to be released on the new GM SUVs. We want a Escalade, but the current Platinum Escalade is 80 something so what is the new one going to be 100K? I use to love GM because you got soo much bang for the buck(CTS-V, Z06, ZL1 etc. Now only Ford and Mopar still play in that arena. GM thinks they are Mercedes, BMW or Audi.
Well we haven't even seen the new CTS-V so I wouldn't say they aren't worthy company of an M5 until we see them Plus since AMG is getting rid of their glorious 6.2/3 liter pushrod V8, Caddy will be the only one in that market with a big displacemnet V8 offering.

Last edited by LSXaddict; 12-14-2013 at 11:18 AM.
LSXaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
This is the conversation I have at every Caddy dealer. The ATS Premium loaded is almost 55K, so the ATS-V is going to be like 60/65K That is what the 2014 CTS-Vs are selling for now with discounts.
You can't compare the price of a V2 in its 6th and likely final year to the price of an entirely new generation of cars. Yes, now is a great time to buy a V2 but it's nowhere near the level of quality, refinement and technology offered in the new ATS/CTS.

Quote:
Then there is the CTS V Sport, in premium trim with a couple options 80K
The Vsport starts at $59k. I have added every option available and I am at $72k. How are you arriving at $80k?

Quote:
So that means the CTS V, (if there is one) will be 90 to 100K
Where are you getting this information? The 2014 CTS costs $6k more than the outgoing 2013 (18% increase). If the CTS-V likewise increases (20%) over the outgoing model, the MSRP would be $78k.

Quote:
That puts it right there against the M5, E63, and RS7 and that is some big boy company. Caddy has come a long way, but their service and materials are still not on par with the most upscale (M's AMG's S's)German cars.
I have to disagree with this. Have you felt the new kona brown leather package with natural elm? That is the finest wood I have ever seen in a car under $150k. Service? Think Audi is going to change your fluids before/after track days at NO cost? Think you can get an oil change and tire rotation whenever you feel like it walking into a Mercedes dealership at NO cost? I'm sorry, but Cadillac will bend over backward to make sure you are completely satisfied with the ownership experience. I can't say that about any of the German cars we have owned.

Quote:
I use to love GM because you got soo much bang for the buck(CTS-V, Z06, ZL1 etc. Now only Ford and Mopar still play in that arena. GM thinks they are Mercedes, BMW or Audi.
No, GM makes cars faster than those brands and they cost significantly less. Rest assured the next V will outperform the M5, E63 and RS6 while costing significantly less, just as they did with the V2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebparkin3 View Post
Caddys IMO are way overpriced! your paying for the name and nothing else!
Paying for the name? Show me another 4-door sedan (or wagon) that can lap the Nurburgring in under 8min for less than $65k?

Quote:
Even the G8 was a steal compared to the Chevy SS.
The outgoing G8 GXP with all the goodies was $43k in 2009. The 2014 SS is superior in every way and retails for $47k with all the options. When adjusting for inflation I call that a wash.

Quote:
Mainly its Caddy that has moved soooo far up market. There is no longer a value (to me) in Caddy, their now in the overpriced boat with the Germans and Lexus.
If they continue to offer better performance at a lower price, how is this not a value? As King T said, ALL cars are getting more expensive. Did you really expect prices for these performance sedans to stay the same?

So did you get the M5? We cross-shopped it but I walked away deflated from the driving experience. It feels so big compared to the E60, it just didn't do it for me. Curious to see what new M3/4 is like. Still too small for me but hopefully they have figured out how to connect with the driver again.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #31
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Wow not one mention of a charger,300C SRT8. Its has to be on your list of performance sedans. Don't count out the new Chevy SS as well.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #32
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
CTS-V
Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #33
MEDISIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Wow not one mention of a charger,300C SRT8. Its has to be on your list of performance sedans. Don't count out the new Chevy SS as well.
All great values but I got the sense the OP was looking at luxury performance sedans.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #34
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
You can't compare the price of a V2 in its 6th and likely final year to the price of an entirely new generation of cars. Yes, now is a great time to buy a V2 but it's nowhere near the level of quality, refinement and technology offered in the new ATS/CTS.

The Vsport starts at $59k. I have added every option available and I am at $72k. How are you arriving at $80k?

Where are you getting this information? The 2014 CTS costs $6k more than the outgoing 2013 (18% increase). If the CTS-V likewise increases (20%) over the outgoing model, the MSRP would be $78k.

I have to disagree with this. Have you felt the new kona brown leather package with natural elm? That is the finest wood I have ever seen in a car under $150k. Service? Think Audi is going to change your fluids before/after track days at NO cost? Think you can get an oil change and tire rotation whenever you feel like it walking into a Mercedes dealership at NO cost? I'm sorry, but Cadillac will bend over backward to make sure you are completely satisfied with the ownership experience. I can't say that about any of the German cars we have owned.

No, GM makes cars faster than those brands and they cost significantly less. Rest assured the next V will outperform the M5, E63 and RS6 while costing significantly less, just as they did with the V2.

Paying for the name? Show me another 4-door sedan (or wagon) that can lap the Nurburgring in under 8min for less than $65k?

The outgoing G8 GXP with all the goodies was $43k in 2009. The 2014 SS is superior in every way and retails for $47k with all the options. When adjusting for inflation I call that a wash.

If they continue to offer better performance at a lower price, how is this not a value? As King T said, ALL cars are getting more expensive. Did you really expect prices for these performance sedans to stay the same?

So did you get the M5? We cross-shopped it but I walked away deflated from the driving experience. It feels so big compared to the E60, it just didn't do it for me. Curious to see what new M3/4 is like. Still too small for me but hopefully they have figured out how to connect with the driver again.
We ordered a Singapore Grey M5, set for production, and we will be doing the performance center delivery in South Carolina(Something you can't do with a caddy). We would have done the European delivery, but there was a time conflict. The whole experience with BMW has been amazing. There are so many ways to personalize your car, and they make you feel like your special whether you buy a 3 series or 7 series. The entire experience is truly bespoke and thought out. I love GM, and this is the first time I have purchased a european car. That being said Caddy wants to be European, and the Europeans do it better. I liked when Caddy was American luxury/performance not pseudo european luxury. The current CTS-V is all american while beating the europeans at their own game. The new CTS is a want to be german car, that falls waaaay short.

Its funny how some (mainly american press) dislike the new M5? However, all the European reviews love it?? In fact Top Gear said the new M5 was the best car being built. Chris Harris (a very honest reviewer) said the new M5 is much much better than the previous M5?? I think we here in the states have listen a bit too much to Jonny Liberman at Motor Trend. There is NO car that provides extreme luxury and extreme sport like the M5. At the push of a button you go from a exotic sports car to a modern, tech, luxury barge. There no other car that can do that as well. If you spend every second at the track, maybe there are better track cars, but then again why not just buy a track car??
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #35
2ndCamaro79

I do believe the SRT8 300 and Charger, as well as the current CTS-V are the best bang for buck! I would much rather have any of the above than the new CTS. I also like everything about the Chevy SS, sans the exterior. If it had a retro Chevelle exterior I would be driving one right now! The SS would have been the natural progression from my Camaro, and I would have saved 50K. I just decided to splurge on the M5, since we decided not to replace our Denali.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #36
MEDISIN

Quote:
We ordered a Singapore Grey M5, set for production, and we will be doing the performance center delivery in South Carolina(Something you can't do with a caddy). We would have done the European delivery, but there was a time conflict. The whole experience with BMW has been amazing. There are so many ways to personalize your car, and they make you feel like your special whether you buy a 3 series or 7 series. The entire experience is truly bespoke and thought out. I love GM, and this is the first time I have purchased a european car. That being said Caddy wants to be European, and the Europeans do it better. I liked when Caddy was American luxury/performance not pseudo european luxury. The current CTS-V is all american while beating the europeans at their own game. The new CTS is a want to be german car, that falls waaaay short.

Its funny how some (mainly american press) dislike the new M5? However, all the European reviews love it?? In fact Top Gear said the new M5 was the best car being built. Chris Harris (a very honest reviewer) said the new M5 is much much better than the previous M5?? I think we here in the states have listen a bit too much to Jonny Liberman at Motor Trend. There is NO car that provides extreme luxury and extreme sport like the M5. At the push of a button you go from a exotic sports car to a modern, tech, luxury barge. There no other car that can do that as well. If you spend every second at the track, maybe there are better track cars, but then again why not just buy a track car??

Congratulations! Hard to go wrong with a M5. I did European delivery with a friend when he ordered his M3. A little pretentious for me but to each his own. He still drives around with his EU plate on the front.

Cadillac has the V-Series Academy btw. Fly to Las Vegas, pick up your Caddy and do the performance driving course.

I'm glad the purchase process has gone so well. I suppose when you're spending north of $100k on a car you should expect it. I sincerely hope your maintenance and warranty experience is trouble-free. Those oil pump failures left a lot of new M5's parked on dealer lots for weeks waiting for parts. A family friend of ours got so frustrated waiting to drive his two-month old M5, he traded it for a Panamera Turbo!

European press and awards always go to European vehicles as they represent 90%+ of the market there. We have much more in terms of offerings and selection here which makes competition fierce and reviews more critical. It's a big, powerful performance sedan, no question. It just felt too much like a big luxury sedan with more HP and not the driver-engaged, sharp handling car of previous generations. It's straight-line speed is staggering, yet it's still over a second slower around VIR than the V sedan and coupe from 5 years ago.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

As for styling it's entirely subjective. I tend to find most German interiors an austere place to be. Nothing particularly interesting about them. Then Jaguar releases the new XJ and that interior is a revelation in my mind! We like what we like. I happen to think the new CTS is much more sophisticated looking design that appeals to me more than the last generation did. Yet it still follows in the "Art and Science" design language. Curious to see how "aggressive" the next V comes to look. I suppose the ATS-V will give us a clue.

Don't get me wrong, we've owned several German cars over the years and two British as well. We liked them very much. But the poor reliability, the costly repairs, the nickel-and-diming by the service departments, we just got tired of things NOT working when we needed them to work.

The second car on our list was the E63 AMG which at the time was a bit slower than the V but the interior was the nicest place to be IMHO. It just wasn't $30,000 nicer and no maintenance, no factory backed warranty for track use. It just didn't pull on us the way the V did. Didn't help that my wife had bad experiences with MB in the past.

Everyone I've talked to that has done the delivery in SC for the performance school has had a great time. Post some pics of the car and the burnt rubber on your rear quarter panels!!

Last edited by MEDISIN; 12-29-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #37
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Congratulations! Hard to go wrong with a M5. I did European delivery with a friend when he ordered his M3. A little pretentious for me but to each his own. He still drives around with his EU plate on the front.

Cadillac has the V-Series Academy btw. Fly to Las Vegas, pick up your Caddy and do the performance driving course.

I'm glad the purchase process has gone so well. I suppose when you're spending north of $100k on a car you should expect it. I sincerely hope your maintenance and warranty experience is trouble-free. Those oil pump failures left a lot of new M5's parked on dealer lots for weeks waiting for parts. A family friend of ours got so frustrated waiting to drive his two-month old M5, he traded it for a Panamera Turbo!

European press and awards always go to European vehicles as they represent 90%+ of the market there. We have much more in terms of offerings and selection here which makes competition fierce and reviews more critical. It's a big, powerful performance sedan, no question. It just felt too much like a big luxury sedan with more HP and not the driver-engaged, sharp handling car of previous generations. It's straight-line speed is staggering, yet it's still over a second slower around VIR than the V sedan and coupe from 5 years ago.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

As for styling it's entirely subjective. I tend to find most German interiors an austere place to be. Nothing particularly interesting about them. Then Jaguar releases the new XJ and that interior is a revelation in my mind! We like what we like. I happen to think the new CTS is much more sophisticated looking design that appeals to me more than the last generation did. Yet it still follows in the "Art and Science" design language. Curious to see how "aggressive" the next V comes to look. I suppose the ATS-V will give us a clue.

Don't get me wrong, we've owned several German cars over the years and two British as well. We liked them very much. But the poor reliability, the costly repairs, the nickle-and-diming by the service departments, we just got tired of things NOT working when we needed them to work.

The second car on our list was the E63 AMG which at the time was a bit slower than the V but the interior was the nicest place to be IMHO. It just wasn't $30,000 nicer and no maintenance, no factory backed warranty for track use. It just didn't pull on us the way the V did. Didn't help that my wife had bad experiences with MB in the past.

Everyone I've talked to that has done the delivery in SC for the performance school has had a great time. Post some pics of the car and the burnt rubber on your rear quarter panels!!

Your not to far from me, maybe we can get together and trade some some seat time once the M5 comes in. I ordered with the competition pkg, and I may have the Mperformance exhaust added at port. Maybe a track day with the German Beast will woo you back to the FatherLand :big grin:

We are leasing, so if there are any long term problems, the next owner can enjoy them. For interiors, the CTS just has so little variety. The cue system (not going to knock it, because I don't have much time with it) looks out of place with the wood and leather. There are only a couple of veneer choices, and to me, the ATS pulls off the interior better Like you, I was never a big fan of european interiors. One of the biggest strikes for the E63 was to me, its long in the tooth interior. If the E63 had the new S class interior game over. The LCI interior in the 2014 M5 is perfect, and I love the seat message for long trips. The B&O sound system is world class, and there is nothing on the market better than Idrive (even Liberman had to agree). Add to that no maintenance (not even brake pads) and it just ran away with the contest.

Take a look at this video (I know its in German) but the points at the end on reliability make a lot of sense. Then spend some time on the Caddy forum, and very few like the new Caddy products. There are also lots of guys that have major issues with the new turbo engines

p.s sorry about the grammar, rushing this morning

Last edited by 2ndCamaro79; 12-24-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #38
MEDISIN

Quote:
Your not to far from me, maybe we can get together and trade some some seat time once the M5 comes in. I ordered with the competition pkg, and I may have the Mperformance exhaust added at port. Maybe a track day with the German Beast will woo you back to the FatherLand :big grin:
An afternoon at VIR would be a blast! I'm gonna need stickier tires to even make it a race with you though. No launch control allowed lol

There's no denying the new batch of twin-turbo's from BMW, Audi, and MB are sick. The freaking S8 runs 11.8 in the 1/4 mile. Absolute rockets. But such was the pervasive thought in 2008 before the V2 was introduced as well. America can't compete blah, blah. Along comes a $59,000 sedan from Cadillac that kicks the wind, water and sh!t out of the Germans. I can't wait to see what the V3 brings, especially with the tremendous weight savings of the alpha platform.

These cars remind me of the first time I went off-roading in a Land Rover after driving Jeeps for years (CJ7, J10, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee). I couldn't believe I was up to the hubs in mud and rock crawling in absolute quiet comfort. No fuss, just upward and onward. They make it too easy!

Quote:
We are leasing, so if there are any long term problems, the next owner can enjoy them.
Smart. I promised myself I would never own another German car out of warranty. At least BMW provides the 4-year maintenance like Cadillac. Wish the others would follow suit. Heck, even Chevrolet offers two year free maintenance now.

Quote:
The LCI interior in the 2014 M5 is perfect, and I love the seat message for long trips. The B&O sound system is world class, and there is nothing on the market better than Idrive (even Liberman had to agree). Add to that no maintenance (not even brake pads) and it just ran away with the contest.
I'm sure the B&O is nothing short of miraculous. Will help pipe the engine noise in through the speakers nicely

Quote:
Take a look at this video (I know its in German) but the points at the end on reliability make a lot of sense. Then spend some time on the Caddy forum, and very few like the new Caddy products. There are also lots of guys that have major issues with the new turbo engines

The first few minutes are entertaining but it's clear the video is quite anti-American. Still a lot of butt-hurt Euro fanboys crying from the punishment the V2 doled out over the years. That "antique" engine has powered just about everything with wheels, rotors, props, and impellers over the years to the tune of 100 million in various applications. They are extremely durable, lightweight for their displacement, fuel efficient for their power and very cheap to maintain. Show me a German engine that can check all of those boxes? Preaching to the choir, I know.

And I'm not convinced an engineer maintained Nurburgring taxi is in any way reflective of the car you or I would be driving. I'm not saying they're unreliable but decades of data shows the Germans to be among the worst. Like I said, when the F10 M5 was first being delivered, many of them were immediately recalled and parked for weeks waiting on replacement oil pumps (cheap Chinese unit was too blame). The CTS-V is now in its 6th year of production with ZERO recalls.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/05/b...astrophic-eng/

But hey, we also own a Land Rover which ARE the worst in reliability, and we still enjoy the hell out of it!

Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #39
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
An afternoon at VIR would be a blast! I'm gonna need stickier tires to even make it a race with you though. No launch control allowed lol

There's no denying the new batch of twin-turbo's from BMW, Audi, and MB are sick. The freaking S8 runs 11.8 in the 1/4 mile. Absolute rockets. But such was the pervasive thought in 2008 before the V2 was introduced as well. America can't compete blah, blah. Along comes a $59,000 sedan from Cadillac that kicks the wind, water and sh!t out of the Germans. I can't wait to see what the V3 brings, especially with the tremendous weight savings of the alpha platform.

These cars remind me of the first time I went off-roading in a Land Rover after driving Jeeps for years (CJ7, J10, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee). I couldn't believe I was up to the hubs in mud and rock crawling in absolute quiet comfort. No fuss, just upward and onward. They make it too easy!

Smart. I promised myself I would never own another German car out of warranty. At least BMW provides the 4-year maintenance like Cadillac. Wish the others would follow suit. Heck, even Chevrolet offers two year free maintenance now.

I'm sure the B&O is nothing short of miraculous. Will help pipe the engine noise in through the speakers nicely

The first few minutes are entertaining but it's clear the video is quite anti-American. Still a lot of butt-hurt Euro fanboys crying from the punishment the V2 doled out over the years. That "antique" engine has powered just about everything with wheels, rotors, props, and impellers over the years to the tune of 100 million in various applications. They are extremely durable, lightweight for their displacement, fuel efficient for their power and very cheap to maintain. Show me a German engine that can check all of those boxes? Preaching to the choir, I know.

And I'm not convinced an engineer maintained Nurburgring taxi is in any way reflective of the car you or I would be driving. I'm not saying they're unreliable but decades of data shows the Germans to be among the worst. Like I said, when the F10 M5 was first being delivered, many of them were immediately recalled and parked for weeks waiting on replacement oil pumps (cheap Chinese unit was too blame). The CTS-V is now in its 6th year of production with ZERO recalls.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/05/b...astrophic-eng/

But hey, we also own a Land Rover which ARE the worst in reliability, and we still enjoy the hell out of it!
I agree with everything your saying, don't get me wrong. My biggest issues is the new CTS can't fill the old CTS shoes. I understand, its like trying to follow up a classic movie or album, often its impossible to do. I believe Caddy could have had another hit if they followed the original formula. The formula, build the best sport sedan in the world. The formula they used this time, build the best BMW in the world. You can't out BMW, BMW! In other words break the mold, don't follow the mold. The current CTS-V broke the mold, the new one not so much. I will take pictures as soon as we take delivery! Once the weather warms up, we can set up a track day at VIR!
Old 12-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
MEDISIN

Quote:
I agree with everything your saying, don't get me wrong. My biggest issues is the new CTS can't fill the old CTS shoes. I understand, its like trying to follow up a classic movie or album, often its impossible to do. I believe Caddy could have had another hit if they followed the original formula. The formula, build the best sport sedan in the world. The formula they used this time, build the best BMW in the world. You can't out BMW, BMW! In other words break the mold, don't follow the mold. The current CTS-V broke the mold, the new one not so much. I will take pictures as soon as we take delivery! Once the weather warms up, we can set up a track day at VIR!
I think it's a little premature to say it doesn't fill the V2's shoes just yet. We know very little about the V3 including what engine will be under the hood and what transmissions will be available. I've heard rumors of a dual clutch 7-speed being prepared but we'll see.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/09/...-transmission/

The ATS-V will give us some clue as to how serious Cadillac is at besting the Germans. GM already rules in chassis development so in effect they have already out BMW'd, BMW. But will there be enough power to best the new M3/4 both in a straight-line and around the track? Will it continue to provide the most engaging driving experience over the BMW as the regular ATS has over the regular 3-series?

Interesting times for sure.

I'm out in Norfolk/Virginia Beach for work 3-4 times a year. I'll shoot you a PM next time I'm headed up. Maybe we can meet up for a beer and continue our conversation!

Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #41
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
I think it's a little premature to say it doesn't fill the V2's shoes just yet. We know very little about the V3 including what engine will be under the hood and what transmissions will be available. I've heard rumors of a dual clutch 7-speed being prepared but we'll see.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/09/...-transmission/

The ATS-V will give us some clue as to how serious Cadillac is at besting the Germans. GM already rules in chassis development so in effect they have already out BMW'd, BMW. But will there be enough power to best the new M3/4 both in a straight-line and around the track? Will it continue to provide the most engaging driving experience over the BMW as the regular ATS has over the regular 3-series?

Interesting times for sure.

I'm out in Norfolk/Virginia Beach for work 3-4 times a year. I'll shoot you a PM next time I'm headed up. Maybe we can meet up for a beer and continue our conversation!
Sounds like a plan
Old 12-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #42
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Seriously lol-ing at how completely wrong and uninformed half the posts in this thread are.