Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Traded my Camaro for a CTS-V, then V for V-Sport

Friday night I completed my journey of trading my 2013 CTS-V for a 2014 CTS V-Sport. If you saw my other thread(on Cadillac Forum), in the V Series section, you know it was hard getting a fair trade in value. So my first section will detail my trade and purchase.

Trade/Purchase:

I traded in a 2013 CTS-V, Stealth Blue, Auto, All Options sans painted calibers, MSRP 74K, Mileage 1025. My purchase price was 62K and I received 54K on trade in. The new car is a 2014 CTS V-Sport (non premium), Black Diamond, Black on Black Interior, MSRP $61,XXX. I am leasing it for $577 a month, 48 months, 10K miles a year, and I put 3K down. A forum member assisted me with a GM Family Friends Coupon, but the dealer said it was not good with V cars? Other than that the experience was good. My salesperson was excellent and seemed to love the new Cadillac products.

I will now break down my review of the V-Sport by: Exterior/Interior/Sound/Driving Experience/ and Performance

Exterior:

Lets start by saying the CTS looks waaay better in person than it does in pictures. Like others I felt the side and rear were too boring. While the rear is still my least favorite part of the exterior, it works in person. The front end and lighting are amazing and evoke major presence. As the car flows from the front to rear there is a real sense of luxury and style. I would describe it best as a premium/modern upscale look. When you get out and look back or are walking up to the new CTS, you feel like your driving a proper luxury saloon. My previous CTS-V (while muscular) seemed like it could be based on a less expensive model (which it was). I am not taking shots at the gen 2 CTS (I really like it) its just the gen 3 CTS is far more premium. One thing American cars had, and have to get away from is the Rental Car stigma. There is NOTHING rental about the new CTS, and exterior wise it is the equal of Mercedes,BMW, and Audi! In every parking lot, my CTS has been the sharpest looking car. It looks new, expensive and very modern. One thing I would change: Make the rear end more aggressive (maybe quad exhaust)

Interior:

The interior is very different than the second gen. In fact you really can not compare them fairly. I will say the interior of my CTS-V seemed like a cockpit while the V-Sport reminds me of a traditional luxury car. Materials are of course very nice, french stitching, soft touch surfaces, real wood etc.. To me the ATS interior has a more striking, and rich look. It all seems to just flow better and look more boutique. I attribute that, to the fact the ATS does not have as much real estate to dress up. My interior is also black, so that washes out a lot too. I don't have the fancy gauges like the premium model, but they are clear and easy to read. I do feel they could have dressed them up a little bit nicer. The center stack is dominated by CUE, and as many have already mentioned, gets covered in ugly finger prints very quick. I will not go into CUE in detail, but you do get use to it after awhile. Notice I said use to it, not love it. The screen is large and clear with good detail, but find myself starring at my fingerprints and pissed off. The buttons on the steering wheel could be a little higher quality, but all other buttons (i.e. window switches ) are very nice. Non premium V-Sports don't get the big sunroof, so you are forced to look at a headliner thats not that nice. My Jeep Summit has an Alacantara headliner and that would have been a nice touch in the CTS. Overall the cabin is nice, but a half step behind the most expensive European ones (i.e. Designo, Individual,Prestige etc.) but on par with the normal (90%) European interiors. I also must add the premium CTS mats (extra cost) are super high pile and very, very nice. :-) The V-Sport comes with a lot of standard features that are really nice and helpful. I love the heated steering wheel and the automatic cup holders and glove box. The Bose sounds system is MUCH better than on my V and is very clear and crisp. Seats are comfortable, but on my model lack the adjustability of my Recaros or Premiums seats. One major issue I have is the climate controls. The car never seems to be at a comfortable temp, and HVAC in general is crazy slow/ complicated. Other than that, with the exception of the Grand Cherokee Jeeps, this is the nicest American interior I have ever experienced. One thing I would change: Make the interior more bespoke, more leather colors and veneer choices.

Sound:

By sound, I am talking exhaust note. Overall the sounds the twin-turbo V6 makes are very artificial. In the touring mode and at low speed the exhaust is quiet and a little limp. In sport/track mode while using the flabby paddles the V-Sport sounds too good (kinda like a F1 car). At start up the exhaust has a nice little bark to it, then mellows out. Overall you can tell the exhaust note is very tuned and coached most of the time. It kinda has a split personality and can't make up its mind how it wants to sound. As far as engine noise, so far I have not noticed any. You don't hear the turbos spin up or any other noise inside the cabin. One thing I would change: Add a little button that opens/closes the exhaust.. a la dual mode exhaus

Driving Experience/Performance

My first take on this was from the passenger seat, as we drove home from the dealer. From the passenger seat, the car felt bumpy, loose and light. Coming from my V, I was very put off at first. The V is heavy and planted, feeling solid and substantial. Things changed big time once I had a chance to get behind the wheel. For a big car the CTS masks its size and makes you feel like your driving something a lot smaller. In tour mode the steering is loose and the car feels light and tossable. Ride is smooth, but not overly soft, you do feel the road. In track/sport mode the steering tightens up and the throttle response is quick if not touchy. You get a far greater since of speed in the new CTS vs the 2nd gen V. Taking off from a stand still in track mode with traction control off is like getting launched out a cannon. Maybe it is because it grips and goes, but it feels quicker than my V. Even once you get going there is a instant sense of speed. You ofter hear the media talking about "usable power" in the V-Sport there is A LOT of usable power. If your just driving at 5/10ths most of the time, the V-Sport is more fun to drive. If your driving at 9 tenths and on a track the V wins hands down. The V-Sport is very Jekyll and Hyde and this is all dictated using the different driving modes (tour/sport/track). In auto and tour mode the V-Sport is luxury like with good pick up. In manual with track or sport selected the V-Sport lurches about and sounds like your qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix. I also can not say enough about how light the cars seems and how it masks its size. One thing I would change: Make the ride a little smoother in tour mode.

Overall, this is the best American sedan I have ever driven. The V was a four door Corvette with a nice interior. The V-Sport is a lady in the street and a freak in the bed. It very much reminds me of the current M5, with a lot less power. It is a luxury car first and a performance car second. I think I like that better anyway, because most of the time you can't use a cars super performance(legally). When you take a look at what you get for the price, the CTS seems like a bargain. Yes its expensive, but all really nice cars are. After you drive the new CTS and live with it for a bit you realize its worth. Unlike the new super expensive GM SUVs, the new ATS/CTS were built from the ground up. GM did not just simply slap MRC and leather on an existing product and price it out the roof. Congratulations Cadillac for building your first non rental car, mass market sedan!!!!

p.s. apologize for grammer/spelling, trying to watch 5 year old and type. And the crappy cell phone pics.

Took a lot of heat on the Cadillac Forum for trading my V, but I really enjoy the new CTS-V. I am sure I will pick up a 3rd Gen CTS-V when it comes out.

----------

My traded 2013 CTS-V

2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Congrats!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Congrats!

Thanks!! We are thinking about ordering an Escalade, but we want to drive or at least see more first.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I really love the new CTS and I can't wait to see one on the road as I'm sure it has the big presence you mentioned.

Been doing a lot of reading on the LF3 TTV6 in that car, and they seem to be putting down more power stock on the dyno that you'd expect.

I have also seen what they can do when they are tuned, and its a pretty huge increase in power.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Congrats...it's ok I guess. While it's a capable sedan...it's still a sedan. I just personally can't get over the fact of "4-doors" and "performance" being in the same sentence. But I suppose if you gotta keep up with the Eurotrash lovers, you gotta do what you gotta do.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
banter

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Congrats...it's ok I guess. While it's a capable sedan...it's still a sedan. I just personally can't get over the fact of "4-doors" and "performance" being in the same sentence. But I suppose if you gotta keep up with the Eurotrash lovers, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Having said that I have to assume you've never driven one. They're pretty insane for being a sedan. As for the OP, are you aware a new CTS-V is coming soon?
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65

Quote:

Considering this thing will run circles around the vast majority of Camaros...
Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Congrats, if I could afford one a CTS V sport would probably be parked out front my office haha.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
Congrats bro. I didn't realize the new V's didn't have any badging to differentiate.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:

Considering this thing will run circles around the vast majority of Camaros...
Amen
Old 03-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by roorback View Post
Congrats bro. I didn't realize the new V's didn't have any badging to differentiate.
It's a Vsport, not a CTS-V.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
Quote:
It's a Vsport, not a CTS-V.
oh. Duh. He said that. My mind said V for some reason. My bad.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by roorback View Post
oh. Duh. He said that. My mind said V for some reason. My bad.
You're not the first one. Vsport vs V-series is going to be super confusing for a lot of folks.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #14
evilstevie

Drives: 2022 RBM 2SS 1le
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not stuck with your brain....
evilstevie is offline   Reply With Quote