Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #29
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Looks good to me. 127 mph trap speed tells the story. That's what the Hellcats trap, give or take a few mph. We all know what the Hellcats are capable of with drag radials. No reason the ZL1 won't be capable of the same given the power to weight ratio.

Seems like an excellent starting point to me Great chassis, relatively light weight, has all the grip and brakes you could want. If you desire more power, that's easy
As a current Z06 owner, I believe this car is going to be a stud and on a drag strip give the Z06 a run for its money. That trap speed is right around the Z06 trap speed. I honestly believe if this car was on Super Sport or specifically Sport Cup 2 tires (which is what the numbers from GM are for Z06.) the ZL1 would have 0-60 of 3.2ish and 11.2 1/4. They should make those tires an option, they are just much better tires. For the few that are disappointed just wait for reviews, i don't think you'll be disappointed at all. Its going to compete performance wise with cars that cost 2-3 times the price. Its going to crush everything bmw, audi (except R8), mercedes (except new GT R.). That's pretty damn impressive at its price point.
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #30
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrennyZL1 View Post
As a current Z06 owner, I believe this car is going to be a stud and on a drag strip give the Z06 a run for its money. That trap speed is right around the Z06 trap speed. I honestly believe if this car was on Super Sport or specifically Sport Cup 2 tires (which is what the numbers from GM are for Z06.) the ZL1 would have 0-60 of 3.2ish and 11.2 1/4. They should make those tires an option, they are just much better tires. For the few that are disappointed just wait for reviews, i don't think you'll be disappointed at all. Its going to compete performance wise with cars that cost 2-3 times the price. Its going to crush everything bmw, audi (except R8), mercedes (except new GT R.). That's pretty damn impressive at its price point.
Coming out of a Z06 I agree 100%!!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #31
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2017ZL1 View Post
Coming out of a Z06 I agree 100%!!
I know some C7Z owners won't admit it and don't like it but they are blinded by their fan boyism. Are you a current C7 Z owner? Do you plan on purchasing or consider purchasing ZL1?
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #32
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoy View Post
I hate to admit it, but i'm kinda with you on this. The most significant improvement seems the be the 1/4 time. I guess with the weight drop, power bump, and 10 speed hype, I was expecting to see a 0-60 time around 3.3...but maybe that's because I've been waiting for so long, I was expecting to be blown away. It doesn't help that Al O kinda hinted that we'd be really impressed with these numbers. Don't get me wrong, these numbers are still really good given how much we're paying, but they're not mind-blowing imo.

So maybe what maybe getting lost in these numbers is the 'feel' of the car. When I test drove a gen 5 zl1, it felt a little sluggish for 580hp. Maybe this new one will 'feel' faster and more capable than its predecessor. This release doesn't change anything cuz I'll still be buying it.
The 5th Gen off the shelf with stock tires was a 12.0/11.9 second car. For this 6th Gen ZL1 to pull an 11.4 on stock tires is enormous.

It is not like lopping .8 seconds off a 15 second car - when you are into the 11's and lower, each .1 is a huge improvement. So, to get an 11.4 on an unprepped track with street tires is no small achievement!

My last drag car was an 11 second '87 Grand National. To get it from a 12.30 to an 11.70 car took a lot more mods than to get it from 13.8 to 12.3.

This new ZL1 is a monster for a stock machine. And a base price of $62k? That's a performance steal.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #33
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
62K For the ZL1 is a very fair price for the vehicle you are getting. Should be one hell of a performance machine.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #34
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I am Impressed. Crazy Performance.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #35
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
The 5th Gen off the shelf with stock tires was a 12.0/11.9 second car. For this 6th Gen ZL1 to pull an 11.4 on stock tires is enormous.

It is not like lopping .8 seconds off a 15 second car - when you are into the 11's and lower, each .1 is a huge improvement. So, to get an 11.4 on an unprepped track with street tires is no small achievement!

My last drag car was an 11 second '87 Grand National. To get it from a 12.30 to an 11.70 car took a lot more mods than to get it from 13.8 to 12.3.

This new ZL1 is a monster for a stock machine. And a base price of $62k? That's a performance steal.
I completely agree. But everybody keeps talking about going in a straight line. With the reduced weight, eLSD, stiffer chassis, and bigger brakes, it doesn't seem like a big improvement in area cornering and braking. We'll have to wait for the ring times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still buying one.
gblaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #36
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrennyZL1 View Post
I've never run super sports, but you really think it could shave that much off straight line acceleration times? If true, that's pretty impressive.

I know this has been mentioned before and I know it sounds a bit trite now, but we really are obtaining supercar performance for the price of a run of the mill ubiquitous bmw 5 series. So, very few people should be disappointed about anything. These numbers are pretty close to what I was expecting last year when rumors started swirling about the new zl1. But I guess as time passed, the buildup and my expectations grew, hence the ho-hum reaction.
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #37
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
"And.... this was rumored to be RACE GAS, prepped surface, and TUNED."
And who rumored this? Have you kept up with any of the Hellcat's performance? These numbers have already been beaten by private owners completely stock or with DRs only. Stop spreading myths. The car runs as advertised with a proper driver and conditions. The ZL1 should be capable of the same, the 127-mph trap speed should be more than enough to better 11:40s.
GM is historically on the conservative side with their numbers.

I see this thing matching the Hellcat in the 1/4 mile. Considering that's the Hellcats claim to fame and it won't compete in other performance categories, but the Zl1 will - that's impressive.

It will be faster than a GT350R on a track and faster than a Hellcat at the strip. That's no small feat.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #38
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
GM is historically on the conservative side with their numbers.

I see this thing matching the Hellcat in the 1/4 mile. Considering that's the Hellcats claim to fame and it won't compete in other performance categories, but the Zl1 will - that's impressive.

It will be faster than a GT350R on a track and faster than a Hellcat at the strip. That's no small feat.
It is going to be one hell of a car, capable of excelling in all areas.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #39
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
That car is WAY too quiet. Immediate first mod: headers, and remove mufflers and cats.

WAAYYY too quiet!
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #40
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
As I have predicted in previous posts, this car will run 10s on street tires. It may sound like a lofty claim but with the driver mod, prepped track, and good air, it will be done! If they truly did run 127 mph with this car, I see that improving by at least 2 mph in good air as well.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #41
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Wow. I was considering a Z06 or the new Corvette Grand Sport... I may have to reconsider and get a ZL1...
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #42
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Base prices are right about where I imagined they might be based on Al O's comment that if you could afford a 5th gen, you'll be able to afford a 6th gen. The $7k jump to get the Vert is right on track with the other 6th gens.

The one option I'm curious about is for the 10-speed auto. I'm going to predict it's a $3k option or better, I wonder if the 10-speed will be efficient enough to escape the GG tax. Somehow I don't think so.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote