Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #1
Munchman

Drives: 2014 Silverado ltz,2011 Camaro 2ss
Help a new guy spend his money

My Daddy always wanted fast car that he could take the track and drive one the weekends. He never bought or had a car built because he wanted to make sure he left his children something when he was gone. Well I lost him the first of last month and I’ve decided that I’m gonna build something that my kids and myself
Can enjoy as a memorale to my daddy.
I’ll be pickin up a new to me zl1 here soon and have no idea where to start spending money and where to save money. So if you had approx. 15k to put Into a stock zl1 a6 to make the most power but still be reliable enough for a Sunday cruise where would you spend the money
Munchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:51 PM   #2
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchman View Post
My Daddy always wanted fast car that he could take the track and drive one the weekends. He never bought or had a car built because he wanted to make sure he left his children something when he was gone. Well I lost him the first of last month and I’ve decided that I’m gonna build something that my kids and myself
I’ll be pickin up a new to me zl1 here soon and have no idea where to start spending money and where to save money. So if you had approx. 15k to put Into a stock zl1 a6 to make the most power but still be reliable enough for a Sunday cruise where would you spend the money
Get it and drive it first. It has lots of power and you might not need or want any more power. If you get a ZL1 you don't have to do much "building".
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:13 AM   #3
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Get it and drive it first. It has lots of power and you might not need or want any more power. If you get a ZL1 you don't have to do much "building".
Sound advise...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Really is sound advice. Exactly what I was thinking when I read the orig post.

Another reason ro wait a while is it gives you time to research and figure out mods and the best place to get them done.. tuning...etc
Let a trusted speed shop help guide you when the time is right. For now enjoy the car. The zl1 is an incredible machine.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #5
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
You'll love the zl1. It is an awesome car. When you say take it to the track, do you mean quarter mile or road course?

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #6
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Sorry for your loss..

$15k into a ZL1 is some serious power, this isn’t a SS. If your intentions are to mod it; then start with intake, pulley, injectors, headers and tune. That’s only $5k and will get you well over 700 flywheel horsepower, and be perfect on the street for your Sunday cruise
'87 GN

Last edited by SecondZ28; 06-11-2018 at 08:05 AM.
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Truly inspiring tale. The only things that I have to add or advise you on are the following:

1. Decide on the theme of your car: In terms of modification. Do you want minimal, tasteful mods, moderate or really over the top modifications, where the car's use will change from being pedestrian to an all-out dedicated track car.
2. Research (if others are doing the installs) where and who you'd like to work on the car.
3. Establish a budget (looks like you have).
4. Do any/all/ or no changes based on your desires. Despite your nice story, remember that this is your car, so the things done to it should be to your liking. There's no guarantee that your beneficiaries will have the same objective or taste in cars as you do.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchman View Post
How many miles.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
@ReaperZL1

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1 aka the Reaper
i have 1 7/8" x 3" kooks longtubes for sale. exhaust is always a good start
@ReaperZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote