Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:07 AM   #15
Fe_C_RS

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS
I wouldn't say I dislike automatic transmissions per se. However, like Rod knock, I feel more engaged and aware of my vehicle when driving a manual. All too often driving an auto I find it easy to allow myself to want to be distracted (playing with the radio, the phone, etc.) or more likely putting my mind on auto pilot and zoning out while driving. I just feel like a manual makes a better and safer driver.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #16
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
sometimes life makes the choice for you

Old 01-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #17
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
No hate here ZL1's rule, stick, auto, doesn't matter!

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

Old 01-24-2014, 05:24 AM   #18
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
I enjoy my auto. I had an Audi s4 in manual and there is no way it was better than their auto. Let's face it, manual is dying out in most top end cars simply because auto is quicker. I had the chance to drive a Porsche turbo in manual and the gearbox was amazing. Great manual car and rewarding when driven properly.. but they do not exist anymore. Another point is that not everybody with a manual can actually drive a manual properly.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #19
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I had a auto L99 and now have a stick. To me I hated that the car was always in to high of a gear when I wanted to get her moving.

Besides, go watch Jack Reacher and you would want to drive a stick just for the SS car scene.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #20
DDoug

Drives: '13 Inferno Orange ZL1 Convertible
I started driving manuals for fun factor, better gas mileage, simplicity, and more power to the wheels.

Now, with more efficient autos, some of these factors have actually been reversed. Now, its just preference.

If I was a drag racer, auto, period. It's easier for an amateur like me to get more consistent runs with an auto.

Only about 7% of cars sold in the US are manual. And, there are odd people, like me, whose all 3 cars are manuals. Two others previously also, now sold.

So, the overwhelming majority drive autos. The haters? I don't know why, but that seems to be the norm these days. "My opinion matters. All others are WRONG!"

Read any car review online and Joe Dillpickle (aka the pill) will tell the world it's the "ugliest, piece o' crap eva." Honestly, why should I, or anyone else, care what someone else, that has never driven (or even seen in the flesh) said car has to say about it?

As far as being "manly" to drive stick. My mother can drive a stick. It's really not that difficult, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eymang View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Its just a $1185.00 option that doesn't come as a "standard" item. Besides, on a ZL1 its quicker.
plus, doubling the gg tax to $2,600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Dude, just a piece of avice. Don't lead your first post on this forum with "my wife wouldn't let me"

Anyone says they would dd their car and rather have a stick in the traffic I deal with around DC would be lying.
All my cars are manual, I just prefer them. Even in bumper to bumper traffic. I just idle in first a lot. When I had an automatic pick-up, my right calf would cramp up in heavy traffic from constantly working the gas/brake back and forth.

My calves can actually get a rest just idling along, no feet on any pedals. My dd creeps at about 3.5 mph in first, 4.7 mph in second. Traffic stops, flip to neutral, light on the brakes, if needed. Sitting still, no feet on pedals.

I'm actually more comfortable.

Sheesh, how did I type this much?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #21
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
My other car is an automatic.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #22
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Most 'Man'ual guys have something to prove. It's a big accomplishment for them.

Me?

The thrill was gone a long time ago.
+1
Old 01-24-2014, 06:44 AM   #23
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
I drive an auto because it's a daily driver, I put 15k a year on my car and it's in storage for 6 months. I don't think it takes anything away from the car, if you want to have fun with it just use the tap shifts.
In my opinion the guys who swear by manual transmissions are just old school, nothing wrong with that. I know guys that swear that fuel injection takes away from "muscle cars". The technology for automatics has come a long way, it really comes down to preference not performance.
In all my experiences people just hate on what that they don't understand.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #24
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr pogo View Post
sometimes life makes the choice for you

I'm happy to see you're overcoming the disability you have, if it even is a disability anymore to you and also taking it lightly by even naming yourself mr pogo on here haha
Old 01-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #25
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
My wife wanted me to get a standard trans. She said "what better theft protection,no one can drive a standard car anymore!" I laughed about that then last week I saw on the news where some dudes broke into a car in florida to steal it and had to leave it cause none of them could drive it because it was a standard trans! Anyway I wanted an auto because I read all of the info I could about the ZL1 before I ordered mine and saw it was quicker {all though not much} but I also thought the resale would be better when the day comes when I sell the car.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #26
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
The people that talk shit about automatics are also the ones that run their mouth about 6 cylinders, 2014 cosmetic updates, etc. They really need to hop down off their high horse and realize their shit still stinks and are not any better than anyone else here. Unfortunately, they value their own opinion as if it has a throne compared to anyone else's.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #27
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticZL1 View Post
I recently purchased my dream car, a Black 2014 ZL1, and I decided to go the automatic route because my wife wouldn't let me get standard because she wants to drive it sometimes, haha.. But anyways, I see lots of people hate on the Automatic, and why is that? From what I can tell it is essentially the same performance, if anyone could tell me why people dislike the autos please leave a post!

Dude I think you summed it up with "my wife wouldn't let me get a standard"
You yourself are hating on the auto by implying that you really wanted a stick, but had to settle for the auto. That's the same thing everybody does.
People don't hate the auto, as much as the reason why they have to get the auto.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #28
chubsworth

Drives: 2014 2SS RS NPP
For me, on a performance car doing the gear shifting myself is an important and enjoyable part of the driving experience. I totally understand the practicality of an automatic but my reasons for owning a Camaro do not include practicality. In the future there will be cars that steer themselves, and this will obviously add another element of practicality, but each driver must decide how 'engaged' they want to be in the driving experience.

Closed Thread

Tags
automatic, automatics, camaro, manuals, zl1