Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
BandRcAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Clutch Pedal Acting Wierd

So I have read all the threads about the clutch pedal sticking or acting odd. Most threads never come to a conclusion or each has its own fix. I'll start off by saying that my car has a McLeod RST Twin Disc Clutch, GTO separate resevoir, and Tick Remote Bleeder Line. Clutch was installed 5k miles ago, new slave cylinder and throw out bearing were installed also at that time.

The Issues: Clutch one day got stuck half way down, then like 3/4 of the way down on a long hot drive in traffic home. It still shifted fine and would disengage. I got home, bled it out completely with Motul 600. And Tada, worked perfect for about a month. Last week the same issues happened. Bled it, lasted about half a day. Now I have been driving it like this, in the morning the clutch will be fine and normal, after about 20 mins of driving it gets stuck half way down. If I get stuck in traffic for too long then its stuck 3/4 of the way down. Been doing this the past 4 days now. Last night I bled it again when I got home from work and it felt good again, until this morning on my drive, 20 mins in, half way down... It is driving me insane....Anyone out there have any idea?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Is your return spring broken or removed? I think I saw on a post a few weeks ago on this forum about aftermarket spring that helps.
https://www.lingenfelter.com/product/L360091410.html
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
BandRcAMARO

Its not broken, and that spring just covers up the issue but doesnt actually fix it.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandRcAMARO View Post
Its not broken, and that spring just covers up the issue but doesnt actually fix it.
Agreed.

If I may ask, how are you bleeding it...

The reason I ask, is in my field of hydraulics, even with shaft seals and dust covers, eventually contamination get through into the line and or reservoir fluid. This leads to excessive leakage or sticking... Are you flushing enough fluid through it to fully replace the fluid in the slave cylinder and enough additional to ensure completely clean returns.

If you are doing the flush properly, then you might have an issue with the plastic sleeve at the input shaft. I'm not well versed in that so maybe others can chime in... I know one or two of the clutch companies offer a machined metal replacement...

There is also a remote possibility there is an input shaft issue not noticeable or affecting this situation until such time as the shaft and bearings heat up...

I tend to think it's a contamination issue if it got/gets better for a bit then right back to it... I hope you figure it out soon, sounds like a pain...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

You posted this in the correct area, however, since you have aftermarket parts, I think we might get a better viewing and responses in the clutch specific forum... moving it for you...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 PM   #6
Pk222

Drives: 98 z28 stalled a4, 2010 ss m6
This is the issue I was just having but full stock setup. I bled it every way possible and got full pedal a few times thinking I was good just to have 2” of clutch pedal after a few minutes of driving. 65,000 miles on mostly stock ss. The bearing retainer was slightly burnt. New billet retainer was all I needed but replaced everything while it was out.
Pk222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pk222 View Post
This is the issue I was just having but full stock setup. I bled it every way possible and got full pedal a few times thinking I was good just to have 2” of clutch pedal after a few minutes of driving. 65,000 miles on mostly stock ss. The bearing retainer was slightly burnt. New billet retainer was all I needed but replaced everything while it was out.
This is the plastic bit I was referring to earlier... Thanks PK... I knew someone would have it...

Old 07-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
BandRcAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pk222 View Post

Sounds like the same issue, what bearing retainer did you swap out?
Old 07-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Here is the information for one manufacturer of this item... Tick Performance also offers one... there may be others...

http://monsterclutches.com/billet-re...earing-support

This is the installation guide for the bearing support...

http://monsterclutches.com/billet-bearing-install

Old 07-27-2018, 06:59 PM   #10
BandRcAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Here is the information for one manufacturer of this item... Tick Performance also offers one... there may be others...

http://monsterclutches.com/billet-re...earing-support

This is the installation guide for the bearing support...

http://monsterclutches.com/billet-bearing-install
Thanks, im thinking of swapping the master cylinder also?
Old 07-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
Pk222

Ideal garage is the only company I know of to make an upgraded master cylinder for our cars that I know of. I’ve heard of ram making one but haven’t seen it. I installed mine right after getting my car but didn’t see much difference.
I used the tick performance bearing retainer only because I ordered my clutch and everything else through them. I’m sure both tick and monster will both be better over the stock plastic piece. Both are billet pieces.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #12
BandRcAMARO

Gotcha, i talked to Tick and they are releasing a master for 5th gens soon, they have a good track record with the 4th gen camaro one they offer so might wait on that.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:46 PM   #13
Pk222

I’m looking foreword to theirs. The ideal garage may have been a better upgrade starting with an aftermarket clutch. With the stock I didn’t notice much at 25,000 miles.
Tick was nice enough to refere me to the ideal garage master a few years ago before they had one in the works
Old 07-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #14
BandRcAMARO

Well Pk, just got the email yesterday from Tick that they started preorders for the master cylinder. They will ship them later in august but even the early promo price is 400 bucks