Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Christiancoach

Drives: 2008 Holden Commodore SSV
Dust Free Brake Pads: Long Term?

I searched and read several threads about low dust brake pads here. Most of the information was from people who had only been using the Hawk Ceramic or equivalent for a short time. I am wondering about your long term experience with them.
I am looking for the lowest amount of brake dust possible without a significant drop in stopping power. My car uses the same pads as the Camaro.
Thanks!
Tony
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiancoach View Post
I searched and read several threads about low dust brake pads here. Most of the information was from people who had only been using the Hawk Ceramic or equivalent for a short time. I am wondering about your long term experience with them.
I am looking for the lowest amount of brake dust possible without a significant drop in stopping power. My car uses the same pads as the Camaro.
Thanks!
Tony
"Low dust" pads are essentially "lighter-colored dust" pads. There is currently no way to stop a vehicle without wear, so dust happens. Some of it is from the pads and some of it is from the iron rotors.

Many "ceramic" pads (a huge, largely non-descript category that can mean a lot of things, depending on who is labeling the box) give off a much lighter colored dust, ash gray in some cases. The trouble is that the materials needed to make that lighter dust are not as good in creating friction. They typically will not stop as well.

We have found the Hawk Performance Ceramic has provided the best dust/performance combination of the ones we've tested so far. I would estimate they give up about 15% in initial bite, which is a bit less than some ceramic pads we've tried. The only other downside is that some drivers report slightly higher rotor wear, especially at low temps and low rubbing speeds.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
adub

Drives: Shopping
The pads haven't been out for a long time, so you won't find many "long term" 2010 Camaro customers. Had mine for the past 2000 miles and I love them. 0 complaints
adub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
obe1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM, 1995 Blown Z28
I have about 8,000 miles on the Hawk Ceramic pads and have no dust. I can't fine light colored dust on my rims! I don't believe there's been any loss of stopping power over the stock pads.
2019 Corvette Grand Sport
obe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
Christiancoach

Drives: 2008 Holden Commodore SSV
Anyone know where I can get a good price on Hawk Ceramic (low dust).
Thank you!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
I ran hawk ceramics on my modded subaru a couple of years back. I found the stopping power to be alot less then the hawk hps pads. Just my opinion, but for a heavy car with this much power, I would put as much bite down as i can.