Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #43
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
....and you don't know what you're missin' by not doing a 4......don't knock it till you've tried it.
I have driven many home and around while waiting to V8 swap them. Have a 1977 Datsun with a weber and header right now. There is nothing fun about a 4 banger that isnt 100 times better if you put a V8 in its place.

I know all about the light weight concept... a 200 hp, 200 lbs built 4 banger vs a 600hp 400lb built LS. Sorry but the LS wins at everything. I really tried to find a reason to leave a L20B in the Datsun.

Power to weight
Lower cost
easier for parts
great gas milage.
Look cooler

Sorry... been there done that. I honestly would not drive a turbo 4 banger Camaro if you gave it to me. I'm one of those guys who would not own the V6 either. Even if the V6 is 400 hp. I want the V8.

Have you driven a 2400 lbs car or truck with a 500hp V8 in it? You will never do the 4 banger again.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #44
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post

Have you driven a 2400 lbs car or truck with a 500hp V8 in it? You will never do the 4 banger again.
Nope....nor would I want to. If you want to drive the big stuff.....you've got to go all the way....big body, big brakes, big motor, big tranny, etc.

There is no way I'd risk driving a light thing like that....only to have it turn over on me. Give me a chevelle or Impala or Biscayne with that big block...only!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #45
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
The best z28, meaning the original '67-'69 models, were more user friendly than the '14 and '15, and they were, at that period, a sensation. Like I said, Chevy has to think the formula through carefully.
you obviously never driven a 302 in a first gen, they arent very user friendly cars.
IMO they shot their self in the foot! they should of priced them between the ZL1 and the SS not over ZL1 price. I was excited when they announced them but not alot of people(I include myself) are willing to pay more (alot) than a ZL1.
I am not dissing the car, its damn nice but why wouldnt you buy a ZL1 yes its heavier(iron diff, S/C, thicker glass) yeah the brake rotors add the cool factor but unless your tracking it what do you get above the ZL1?
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #46
frenchsquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1969 View Post
IMO they shot their self in the foot! they should of priced them between the ZL1 and the SS not over ZL1 price. I was excited when they announced them but not alot of people(I include myself) are willing to pay more (alot) than a ZL1.
I am not dissing the car, its damn nice but why wouldnt you buy a ZL1 yes its heavier(iron diff, S/C, thicker glass) yeah the brake rotors add the cool factor but unless your tracking it what do you get above the ZL1?
If your not tracking the car don't buy it. By all means get the ZL1. I have told 5 or 6 guys that. Real potential buyers. The ZL1 is a better street car. Not everyone wants a street car.

I dont want a street car. I did not buy a street car and I dont care anything about how well it gets me to and from work. I walk from my bedroom to my office down the hall.

I bought the Z28 instead of the ZL1 and paid more for it. As I have said I would not pay $40,000 for just a super charged Camaro. Who cares. Its nothing more then a supercharged Camaro. I don't want one. If thats what you want then by all means get one. I am glad GM makes cars for everyone. I love that we have options and lots of different Camaro's. We don't need the Z28 to be a street car.

The Z28 was targeted at me. They guy who takes a new Corvette and upgrades everything on it to make it a track car. The Z28 was perfect from the factory. Thats why I bought one. If I bought a ZL1 and added the Carbon Ceramic Brakes and the cooling system needed I would be well over the cost of the Z28. That car was a steal for what you got. Very few get that.

I have 5800 miles on my Z28. 4 sets of tires, 3 sets of brake pads, 4 oil changes, 3 rear end services and only 1800 street driven miles.

Bring a 2015 ZL1 to the track and watch me lap you. I was on the track with one for about 12 min. Then the ZL1 slide of the track and hit the wall. Complete loss. Great car in the 1/4 mile.

The issue is no one knows what the car is. GM did not make one single commercial for it. 99% of the population hasn't even heard of one. Hell my GM dealership didn't know GM made the car. How many people like me wandered into a GM dealership who had one and saw the car? Of those how many had $60,000 or whatever the dealer wanted for the car? First one I saw was asking $85,000 for it. Stupid dealers over pricing them.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #47
aris

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
you obviously never driven a 302 in a first gen, they arent very user friendly cars.
The reason I didn't buy a ZL1 over the Z/28 is because I wanted a track focused car - which the ZL1 is not. The carbon ceramic brakes, lightened body, forged wheels, functional aero package, etc., were all things that made the Z/28 appeal to me.

And for what it's worth (and not to knock the ZL1), I personally think there are a handful of arguably "better" street cars than the ZL1 for around the same money, but I hesitate to say there are many better track cars that the Z/28 at it's price point or even higher. At $75k, the Z/28 really was a value for the people that actually wanted to use the car for what it was made for.

I think a large percentage of people that ended up buying the Z/28 bought it expecting a "top of the line" Camaro with all the bells and whistles, which is not what it was supposed to be.

My hope is that if they ever do release a 6th gen Z/28, that it will have similarly high-end and exotic components, along with the biggest/best N/A corvette motor, lighter weight, crazy aero, etc etc. If I wanted a fully loaded street car with climate control and some 10,000 watt stereo, I'd get something else.

Last edited by aris; 10-19-2017 at 09:12 PM.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #48
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
+1
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #49
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
If your not tracking the car don't buy it. By all means get the ZL1. I have told 5 or 6 guys that. Real potential buyers. The ZL1 is a better street car. Not everyone wants a street car.

I dont want a street car. I did not buy a street car and I dont care anything about how well it gets me to and from work. I walk from my bedroom to my office down the hall.

I bought the Z28 instead of the ZL1 and paid more for it. As I have said I would not pay $40,000 for just a super charged Camaro. Who cares. Its nothing more then a supercharged Camaro. I don't want one. If thats what you want then by all means get one. I am glad GM makes cars for everyone. I love that we have options and lots of different Camaro's. We don't need the Z28 to be a street car.

The Z28 was targeted at me. They guy who takes a new Corvette and upgrades everything on it to make it a track car. The Z28 was perfect from the factory. Thats why I bought one. If I bought a ZL1 and added the Carbon Ceramic Brakes and the cooling system needed I would be well over the cost of the Z28. That car was a steal for what you got. Very few get that.

I have 5800 miles on my Z28. 4 sets of tires, 3 sets of brake pads, 4 oil changes, 3 rear end services and only 1800 street driven miles.

Bring a 2015 ZL1 to the track and watch me lap you. I was on the track with one for about 12 min. Then the ZL1 slide of the track and hit the wall. Complete loss. Great car in the 1/4 mile.

The issue is no one knows what the car is. GM did not make one single commercial for it. 99% of the population hasn't even heard of one. Hell my GM dealership didn't know GM made the car. How many people like me wandered into a GM dealership who had one and saw the car? Of those how many had $60,000 or whatever the dealer wanted for the car? First one I saw was asking $85,000 for it. Stupid dealers over pricing them.
I am not bias because both cars are nice, I have two ZL1's and a buddy of mines have two SS's, one ZL1 and the Z/28 which all are very nice. The ZL1 is definitely far superior over the SS. Your statement saying that the ZL1 is a just a supercharged Camaro is as wrong as wrong can be. I am not going to bad mouth either car because they both are the real deal. It is one's preference over the other (subjective), my buddy which have all variants says that He like the Zl1 better out of all the cars. Now concerning the post will there be a 6th Gen Z/28? if Chevy finds it profitable or target a race class for NA engines who knows what they will do with all the electric car talk now! if they do I am sure it will be nice.

Last edited by Dega Man; 10-19-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #50
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Read post #31 where I explain it.

I agree with you on the rest of this post. Not that I couldn't have bought a z28, but I already made up my mind on ZL1.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:06 AM   #51
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
I think a large percentage of people that ended up buying the Z/28 bought it expecting a "top of the line" Camaro with all the bells and whistles, which is not what it was supposed to be.
That sums it up. Those people have no one to blame but themselves, Reuss himself expressed, out loud, live on camera..that this was NOT that car. Yet still people bought it and immediately traded it back in for a ZL1. I dont feel sorry for those people at all, they were warned. Like many here, I wanted that car BECAUSE of the items it has/doesnt have..not 'despite' not having them. If GM had let me loose here at work, and said go build a Camaro you want...this is exactly what I would have built. So much so that I had 'almost' made myself start thinking about a C6Z Carbon...and then finally they got the hint and rooted through the parts bin, took out all the tech stuff I dont care about, and gave me all the things I do care about. But, alas, what ultimately got proven out is that people like me (us) are more scarce than people like to think.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #52
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Really glad to have started this thread as I like reading others thoughts on the subject.

Coming from an era (early 60's) where stripped down cars were made by all the manufactures they were mostly run on the street. To many to list here but, you can search.

The common thread of these cars was they were stripped strictly for those that wanted all the power without adding weight. Back then weight to horsepower ratio's were more important. I remember the rawness of the HP being the deciding factor for most.

Plymouth and Chrysler were putting out some wild cars that were stripped down with massive engines and huge tq numbers with multiple carbs and wild intakes.

So this is part of our American muscle car history. Point is, they were all NA cars and raw HP. THIS is what I get from my car with mods and afraid that this may be the last breath of era on it's way out. That same rawness of brute power without all the other crap I could care less about.

If I want comfort I will by a Cadillac.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #53
1erMQP

Drives: 15 Z/28 #605
Let's say it with Chris Harris words, the Z/28 is a analog car in a digital age.

And that's what we are all looking for.

Indisputable modern cars are the faster ones.
But you are not so much engaged in the car and it's not you who is driving the car.

On my daily driver I want to have as much gimmicks as possible.

But not on my toys...
1erMQP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #54
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
Frenchsquared, Aris I understand I am a Z28 fan when they announced they were going to make them I was considering buying one, it would be the first new car I would have ever bought then I saw the price tag I'm not in the proper income level to afford that, I have other cars too. I bought my first 69 Z in 1978 and still own one so dont take my post above as a dis it wasnt intended to be, I still wouldnt mind having one.
I've actually of thought of selling my 69 as its not much fun here in Texas W/O A/C and truth be told I'm a little leary driving the relic around because they aint the cheap hotrods anymore probably only reason I still have it is my son is waiting for it to be passed down when I'm gone

Last edited by zman1969; 10-20-2017 at 09:08 AM.
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:35 AM   #55
frenchsquared

Quote:
Frenchsquared, Aris I understand I am a Z28 fan when they announced they were going to make them I was considering buying one, it would be the first new car I would have ever bought then I saw the price tag I'm not in the proper income level to afford that, I have other cars too.
I agree... I was shocked... but the times have changed. I would love for the car to have been cheaper. Remove the seats, remove the carpet, remove the headliner... but had they removed the engine, brakes, rear diff, cooling or tranny I would not want the car. I waited 2 years to find a new one I could afford.

I love the way you could build a car back in the days. Unfortunately those days are gone. For some reason none of the dealers will let you put any engine in any car with any options. If they would... I would have bought a Camaro with a LS7 and a Short Bed, Regular cab, 2x4 with the LS7 as well. Hey GM... I will buy that truck today for $50,000 if you would make it.

Either there are not enough people with $70,000 wanting a real track car
or
GM didn't tell anyone there was a real track car for $70,000

Whatever the issue is... The world has the ZL1, so go buy it and leave my Z28 alone.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #56
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
What engine goes in the 2019 mid-engine Vette?
a 7liter Naturally Aspirated around 650 HP. The Upgrade will be a Twin Turbo 850 HP.

I would suspect that a Z/28 would have a version of the NA Motor.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote