Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Swap My Link Radio for cd radio

I'd like to know if I can remove the My Link radio in my 15 2LTCamaro for the standard CD radio that comes in the cheaper models. I have no use for any of the My Link features. Is it a simple plug and play? TY
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
i have one you can have, you will have to come get it.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
It should be plug and play for the most part. You would probably need to send the radio to somewhere like Gen5 to reprogram it to your VIN though.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #4
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Talked to the local dealer, not possible to swap radios because they are matched to the vin. The dealer can't change the vin, only GM radio service can do that and they only do it under warranty for the dealers. Good GAWD! Talk about big brother!
Old 03-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Yeah they usually can't. That's why I mentioned gen5. They can do it. I think it is about $400

Gen5diy.com
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
silverstorm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
Talked to the local dealer, not possible to swap radios because they are matched to the vin. The dealer can't change the vin, only GM radio service can do that and they only do it under warranty for the dealers. Good GAWD! Talk about big brother!
Dealers don't know what they're talking about most of the time. Swapping the radio is possible, you would just have to send it to gen5 to have it reprogramed.

https://www.gen5diy.com/products/10-...io-programming
silverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Ty for the info, I called them and they said you can NOT go back to a cd player radio. The programing in the car will not work with it. You can go upgrade to a My Link radio but not down. Ty for your help.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
The OEM radio is absolute shit and a complete waste of time and money. Simply purchase a PAC-RPK5 and Pioneer/Kenwood package, it's cheaper with 100x the quality and features.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
This is where I ended up.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551727

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #10
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
The OEM radio is absolute shit and a complete waste of time and money. Simply purchase a PAC-RPK5 and Pioneer/Kenwood package, it's cheaper with 100x the quality and features.
Yeah, but then you're stuck with a goofy non-stock looking radio right smack in the middle of the dash.

Actually, the stock non-mylink head unit doesn't sound bad if/when you add an aftermarket self-powered subwoofer to it. I added the RF 10" self powered subwoofer to mine and it sounds 100% better.

If you need a little more loudness, you can always add the GM kicker amplifier like some of the Z28 guys do to their non-mylink radios.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #11
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Yeah, but then you're stuck with a goofy non-stock looking radio right smack in the middle of the dash.

Actually, the stock non-mylink head unit doesn't sound bad if/when you add an aftermarket self-powered subwoofer to it. I added the RF 10" self powered subwoofer to mine and it sounds 100% better.

If you need a little more loudness, you can always add the GM kicker amplifier like some of the Z28 guys do to their non-mylink radios.
Hey! I think the stock non-MyLink AND the MyLink radios are pretty crappy/goofy looking themselves. I thought about going with the MyLink retro fit but it was over a grand and I also didn’t like that the lock switch is an issue on my 2011. I can’t say how they sound because I yanked mine out early on because I really wanted better Apple integration. And with the PAC, you can use whatever HU you think looks or sounds best. And you pretty much keep the rest of the look since it uses the stock HVAC knobs.
Attached Images

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current

Last edited by Cheap Guy; 04-25-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #12
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post

An Ant has no quarrel with a boot and certainly would argue until the day he dies that Airplanes do not exist.

Audio is a direct product of one's experience. Someone who has never heard or physically seen real quality shall always believe their perspective is 100% and nothing can exist outside their belief. Anyone within the Audio community believing aesthetics are more important over physical measurable proven facts are naive at best.

"Sound bad" is relative, I personally don't believe anything "sounds bad" today by Auto-zone and Walmart standards. You are absolutely correct, humans LOVE to spend $1,000 - $2,000 at Walmart and eat using plastic dinner plates and fake silverware. There is an entirely separate population however that spend far less money and have permanent China, Silver and Gold dinnerware.

The GM Kicker amp is a 400% overpriced marketing scam any audio shop in the nation can replicate cheaper. The GM OEM 5th gen radios were manufactured by Panasonic for about $100. It has no app functionality of any kind, distortion is 10%+ and even if a harness is used to splice a signal for aftermarket amps, the tune and input signal are horrible.

You are absolutely correct though, Apple has brainwashed the population well into believing ergonomics are more important than function, quality and more importantly, cost. Fortunately, there are vendors willing to cater to those with more money than sense. These vendors seem to be thriving as there are a ton of ignorant people out there.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote