Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Warranty voided lifting speed limiter

There is a reason i bought the 1LE, plain and simple, to haulass.I just got off the phone with my dealer who called GM, and if i lift my speed limiter my warranty is voided...are you kidding me! Why make a car like this that has the same top speed(limited)as my 2011 1LT RS???????? and it's not the tires.The goodyears are "Y" rated same as the pirellis 186mph+

I need to be able to run and maintain 165 mph,which the car will do all day long.I am running in http://www.sscc.us/ this May.I have someone, a sponser of camaro5 who can lift it.My question is does anyone really know for sure if the foot print can be eliminated?
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Why would the warranty be of concern if the intentions for that car will be running in that high of a speed class? Won't the car have to be race prepped with tons of other stuff anyway, just add a tuner to that list.

If you're concerend with a tune voiding the warranty.... what do you think racing it will do?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
There will be a record of the tune in the ECU ... Sorry, the only model without a limiter is the ZL1.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Why would the warranty be of concern if the intentions for that car will be running in that high of a speed class? Won't the car have to be race prepped with tons of other stuff anyway, just add a tuner to that list.

If you're concerend with a tune voiding the warranty.... what do you think racing it will do?
why cant a car be driven at high speeds and be under warranty ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
why cant a car be driven at high speeds and be under warranty ?
It can. Entering a racing event is a different story.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
cornerspeed92

The 1LE was designed for the track,in fact GM is working with SCCA on getting this car in one of their class's,cant remember which class it is, but the fact that this car was designed to go fast,and be on a race track, and that they would put a speed limiter just isn't right.http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-for-scca.html found it.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Fiveg56

Drives: -
There is a flash counter...they will know you messed with the GM programming.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
alanhurst
Master Chief

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS L99
sadly it's just blanket coverage on GMs part. They need to protect themselves from backwoods "mechanics" jacking their gameboys into the cars computer,screwing things up,towing it back to the dealer, and having GM pay to fix things.

more or less.
alanhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Okay, in Rancho Cucamonga, there's a Speed/ performance shop. It's on Sixth Street, in between Haven and Archibald... on the corner of Sixth and Bally Court. I was in there a few months ago, talked to a guy who worked for GM for many years, and seems to know quite a lot about the "footprints" left by tuning/ electronic modding, as (I think) he said that this was one of his specialized areas of knowledge while working for GM. I would recommend talking to that guy. Sorry, can't remember his name (it's a small shop... maybe four employees?), but just ask for the guy who used to work for GM. ............................................. I'll be in that area later today, and will TRY to get you a business name/ phone number at least, but it couldn't hurt, if you have the time, to drop into that shop... I'll bet that's where you will find the most knowledgable advice around on this topic.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
cornerspeed92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Okay, in Rancho Cucamonga, there's a Speed/ performance shop. It's on Sixth Street, in between Haven and Archibald... on the corner of Sixth and Bally Court. I was in there a few months ago, talked to a guy who worked for GM for many years, and seems to know quite a lot about the "footprints" left by tuning/ electronic modding, as (I think) he said that this was one of his specialized areas of knowledge while working for GM. I would recommend talking to that guy. Sorry, can't remember his name (it's a small shop... maybe four employees?), but just ask for the guy who used to work for GM. ............................................. I'll be in that area later today, and will TRY to get you a business name/ phone number at least, but it couldn't hurt, if you have the time, to drop into that shop... I'll bet that's where you will find the most knowledgable advice around on this topic.
Thanks i know exactly who you are talking about i have talked to him a number of times about my V6 will be talking to him,Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Russell James

You seem to have Racing and Warranty as two high priorities.

Those two things are never going to jive.

The solution is to buy the car and enjoy. Customize those things you want changed and enjoy it even more. If something major happens, deal with it at that time. That is my approach.

To me, racing at that level will take tons of race prep to the car. I'm just thinking the use of a tuner will be just one more part of the race prep.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
It can. Entering a racing event is a different story.
i still feel you can take a car to a track, racing or not. and should keep a warranty. to reasonable limit, with the car being stock.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Here is one reason why. You own an SS with an option package. It is insured as an SS Camaro. If they removed the speed limiter on the cars with a the 1LE option it would still be listed as an SS. Every SS owners insurance would instantly increase as there really wouldn't be a way for the insurance companies to know the difference. Higher rates = less buyers.

LEO's and safety groups also love the fact that you are speed limited. Fuel economy, less ability to blow the engine while running redline at top speed and other factors.

Far fewer ZL1's will be built and sold at a significantly higher cost attracting mostly drivers of an age that tend to do less foolish things on the public roads.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Here is one reason why. You own an SS with an option package. It is insured as an SS Camaro. If they removed the speed limiter on the cars with a the 1LE option it would still be listed as an SS. Every SS owners insurance would instantly increase as there really wouldn't be a way for the insurance companies to know the difference. Higher rates = less buyers.

LEO's and safety groups also love the fact that you are speed limited. Fuel economy, less ability to blow the engine while running redline at top speed and other factors.

Far fewer ZL1's will be built and sold at a significantly higher cost attracting mostly drivers of an age that tend to do less foolish things on the public roads.
Probably also has to do with how the car was validated. The ZR1 was validated at high speed test tracks. Was the Camaro? I don't know. But that type of validation would be required to check if every system is up to living at that speed.... driveshaft, axles, wheels, wheel studs, cooling system, body panels, lift.... it's a whole lot more than just a tire rating to determine if a car is actually capable of maintaining a certain high speed. It takes an entire vehicle validation schedule to determine that. And if there is a speed limiter there.... one might conclude, that was the extent it was validated to.