Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Drives: 2011 1LT Synergy Green
Chrome ring around the center of steering wheel

Has anyone been able to remove this part? The chrome ring around the steering wheel center. It's actually part of the air bag housing . I want to Paint it.

Any help & I would be greatfull . ..

Name:  20150319_142203.jpg
Views: 4017
Size:  92.3 KB
BIO-HAZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

59 # views and no answers ... Any one , is this just a trim ring which is pushed in ? Can it be lifted with a trim tool ? Or is there something holding it in from the back and there's no way to remove it and reinstall it .

Help ....
Old 04-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
Couldn't you just tape off and cover dash etc to paint it? Considering I believe air bag is packed inside that I doubt I'd try prying or poking at it. I have no idea if that ring is removable. Perhapse ask someone selling a center section if they can look to see if it's fastened from behind. They do pop up fs from time to time. I believe air bag is packed in there though. Might have to ask someone who had the air bag pop on them to check it.
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter18155 View Post
Couldn't you just tape off and cover dash etc to paint it? Considering I believe air bag is packed inside that I doubt I'd try prying or poking at it. I have no idea if that ring is removable. Perhapse ask someone selling a center section if they can look to see if it's fastened from behind. They do pop up fs from time to time. I believe air bag is packed in there though. Might have to ask someone who had the air bag pop on them to check it.
Thanks , I had mine off ,but didn't check when I replaced my steering wheel bezel .I would never try & paint it in the car , that's suicide , Plus painters tape won't stick to the steering wheel material . tried that when I blacked out my Camaro lettering on it ..
Old 04-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
unxpected_12
Xpect the unXpected

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Good topic. Need some info on this too previous owner messed up the coating causing it to peal ugly. Thought about plastidipping it. There has to be some sort of disassembly to it. Since it in front of the airbag chose not to be messing with it.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:51 AM   #6
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
On my BMW the badge there faded but I just covered it with a sticker, everyone online warned about taking it off because of the airbag and it was less expensive to just cover it. If you decide to try to take it off make sure the battery is disconnected just to be safe
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
On my BMW the badge there faded but I just covered it with a sticker, everyone online warned about taking it off because of the airbag and it was less expensive to just cover it. If you decide to try to take it off make sure the battery is disconnected just to be safe
Thanks already know that , I just want to know how the ring is attached to the plastic cover ....
Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #8
sbear

Hope you find a solution, love your car so far

I'm gonna guess you'll want it green???
Old 04-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbear View Post
Hope you find a solution, love your car so far

I'm gonna guess you'll want it green???
Thanks on finding solution , And thanks so much for the kind words on the car . I'm really not sure if I want it green or black .. I did get to black out the Camaro lettering in the center . I did that with a paint pen . Turned out great . But it was easy as its so small and you can't notice any in perfection's . But doing the ring ,I think it would not look good with the paint pen .
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
ka1

Drives: 2011 2SS
I ended up using one of those paint pens. It didn't turn out great but it works temporarily. Have to see if I have a pic.
ka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Upgrade to the 2012+ steering wheel, IMO it looks a lot nicer
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #12
A10maint

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIO-HAZARD View Post
Thanks , I had mine off ,but didn't check when I replaced my steering wheel bezel .I would never try & paint it in the car , that's suicide , Plus painters tape won't stick to the steering wheel material . tried that when I blacked out my Camaro lettering on it ..
I know you said that you would never paint inside car, which I don't blame you because I wouldn't, but have you thought about removing the air bag and masking off the areas and then painting. Just a thought.
A10maint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #13
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
I ended up using one of those paint pens. It didn't turn out great but it works temporarily. Have to see if I have a pic.
I felt it would look like a bad job..didn't dare to try..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Upgrade to the 2012+ steering wheel, IMO it looks a lot nicer
I really don't like the 2012 steering wheel my self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10maint View Post
I know you said that you would never paint inside car, which I don't blame you because I wouldn't, but have you thought about removing the air bag and masking off the areas and then painting. Just a thought.
I know that could be done , it's just trying to figure out how to mask off , in a cirle. Plus no painter's tape will stick to the plastic material that's it's made out off, tried that already . ..

But thanks everyone for the ideas aND such. I will figure it some how . . When I put my mind to it. Might just get a circle of black vinyl and try that...lol
Old 05-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #14
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Bump ttt. Has anyone done anything to the chrome ring? And what & how..

I can't believe someone hasn't done this yet....

Ideas , Help anything ?..