Name:  2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-V-6-1LE-112-876x535 2.jpg
Views: 2555
Size:  37.2 KB
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Um, that is what the V8 is for Car and Driver.

Funny how in this day and age a car that runs a 5.1 0-60, 13.7 1/4 and tops out at over 150, "needs more power".
Old 12-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Autosenses

Drives: MK7GTI, 21 Traverse
Send a message via AIM to Autosenses
I am planning on picking one of these up for weekend fun mountain carving in upstate NY and little track use at Limerock. However, reading articles like this...it's discouraging. I just have to keep remembering that this thing would blow the doors in every way compared to my GTI.
Autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
I would rather have a 1ss vs the v6 1le
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #5
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
I would rather have a 1ss vs the v6 1le
Me too, unless I could pick up a used v6 1LE for a crazy deal. If the v6 responded to mods even a little, it could be a super fun car.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
So what you're telling me is that R&T's only real complaint about the V6 1LE is that it lacks power? Sounds good to me, considering it has one of the more powerful N/A V6's around.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #7
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
GM makes a V6 1LE Camaro with more power already. Its called a 1SS with 6MT. All the track handling stuff put on the V6 1LE comes from the SS.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
GM makes a V6 1LE Camaro with more power already. Its called a 1SS with 6MT. All the track handling stuff put on the V6 1LE comes from the SS.
This is very true!!! I would say the real allure to the V6 1LE is a super fun canyon carver with way better gas mileage than a regular SS (and we are talking regular instead of premium) and the bonus 1LE appearance parts.

You can get a V6 1LE (non-2LT) for a solod 8-10k less than a well optioned 1SS, at the end of the day money talks and that's what it will come down to for a lot of people!
Old 12-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
You, and apparently a lot of other people, are missing the point of the V6 1LE. According to GM, the V6 1LE weighs 3490 pounds while the SS weighs 300 pounds more. That is a huge difference. When it comes to actually driving on a track, 300 fewer pounds translates into better handling, less wear on tires and brakes, and with the V6, a lot less gas being used, and it will be regular, not premium. A V6 1LE will be a lot cheaper, and more fun than an SS on the track. Track days are not about raw times, they are about safely learning your limits and having fun without going broke.

I'm sorry that magazine writers who drive 500+HP cars all day long think a car that does 13 second 1/4 miles is only "adequate". I'd like to take them back to the glory days of muscle cars and go head to head in a V6 Camaro against 90% of what were considered to be scary-fast muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. They might be surprised to find out the that vast majority of legendary muscle cars couldn't get into the 13's unless they were dropped off a cliff, even with proper slicks. They weren't that fast, just really loud and fun. I was there. Not only were the cars not that fast, the really scary thing about them was trying to stop them or go around a corner.

These are the golden years of sports cars, ladies and gentlemen. Take advantage while you can.

BTW, anyone who sees a deal on a 1LS/1LE with Recaros, PM me.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
You, and apparently a lot of other people, are missing the point of the V6 1LE. According to GM, the V6 1LE weighs 3490 pounds while the SS weighs 300 pounds more. That is a huge difference. When it comes to actually driving on a track, 300 fewer pounds translates into better handling, less wear on tires and brakes, and with the V6, a lot less gas being used, and it will be regular, not premium. A V6 1LE will be a lot cheaper, and more fun than an SS on the track. Track days are not about raw times, they are about safely learning your limits and having fun without going broke.

I'm sorry that magazine writers who drive 500+HP cars all day long think a car that does 13 second 1/4 miles is only "adequate". I'd like to take them back to the glory days of muscle cars and go head to head in a V6 Camaro against 90% of what were considered to be scary-fast muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. They might be surprised to find out the that vast majority of legendary muscle cars couldn't get into the 13's unless they were dropped off a cliff, even with proper slicks. They weren't that fast, just really loud and fun. I was there. Not only were the cars not that fast, the really scary thing about them was trying to stop them or go around a corner.

These are the golden years of sports cars, ladies and gentlemen. Take advantage while you can.

+1
Well said.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
A7X

Drives: Subaru Tribeca
Quote:

yes as the post above me said "well said!"
A7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:

There is no 3,790 pound SS.. SS 1LE is close I guess, but an SS starts at 3,685.. So, you could have an SS which has the same suspension bits as v6 1LE within 200 pounds. Also, the v6 is closer to 14 seconds than 13. Not trying to be a negative nancy, just pointing out facts.

As far as engine power goes, I don't see how it's underpowered. Underpowered because handling is that good? Maybe.. That's why you step up to the SS I guess.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #13
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Been a constant Car & Driver reader for the past 30 years. I was IN C&D back in 1996 when they did an article on the MT Hwy Patrol and how we were dealing with the lack of a speed limit. Spent two weeks with one of their writers; Larry Griffin. He and I discussed how attitudes change at the magazine. If the dominant group of writers and the Editor are interested in "X" then that's what we will get fed each issue.

I think they have become so jaded by the sheer performance available today, that to them, track times, 1/4 mile times and G figures are what makes a vehicle Good or Bad .

IMHO the 6 Cyl Camaro, especially the 1LE option car is a tremendous car at a real bargain sticker price. Especially if you want to try autocross or the occasional track day. Or if you have some insurance issues. Or need to use it as a daily driver with a high mile commute. Many advantages to the 335 hp Six.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #14
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:

Bravo. Truer words seldom spoken.

I owned a new 69 Chevelle SS 396 when I was nineteen. Loved it, unfortunately ruined it by turning it into more of a drag car than a street car. Thirty years later I bought a basket case Chevelle project car. In two years and $10K turned it into basically a new, original ,SS 396.

I recall it's maiden drive vividly. Man! Is this thing ever front heavy! It makes great sounds but it's SLOW. And it doesn't want to turn or stop! Looked great in the driveway. Made cool noises. But it was really a disappointment.

Had a VW GTI in 2010 that could beat it in ALL categories, except for great sounds.

I was fortunate to have grown up during the golden age of American Muscle Cars. It was great fun.

Now in my sixties we are in the second Golden Age....I agree with COmaro; Lets ENJOY it.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote