Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Insurance Rates --

I just turned 25 this week and was wondering how my insurance rates would be affected. I have heard a lot of people talk about how at 25 you get bumped into a new category for insurance rates.

For those of you that remember, what difference did you see in your insurance rates after you turned 25?
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
State Farm cut my rates in half.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Thats what I've heard, the insurance companies play games with you untill you're 25.
they spike the price at 18, then let it slowly lower, at 21 they push it through the roof again, and then it lowers bit by bit, till twentyfive, and your pretty much good unless you get in an accident
Old 03-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Happy belated Birthday!!!

Look for your insurance to drop.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
It will drop for sure. Mine went down a couple hundred per year. Enjoy it while you can though...rates don't decrease because of your age again until you're 50.

Shop around at other companies as well. I just got quotes from Geico, Liberty Mutual, and State Farm and ALL of them were lower than my Allstate plan. In fact, Geico was almost $400 a year cheaper! Needless to say, I'm switching soon.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urthman View Post
It will drop for sure. Mine went down a couple hundred per year. Enjoy it while you can though...rates don't decrease because of your age again until you're 50.

Shop around at other companies as well. I just got quotes from Geico, Liberty Mutual, and State Farm and ALL of them were lower than my Allstate plan. In fact, Geico was almost $400 a year cheaper! Needless to say, I'm switching soon.
Awesome. I actually currently have Geico as well, and was wondering how that works. Will I see the difference refelected in my premium soon, or will i have to wait until my policy in renewed in like 4 months? Guess I will have to give them a call.

Geico is great. We had Farmers Insurance up in Chicago and when we moved to Indy and switched over our plan they tried making us pay a higher premium than in Chicago... So we shopped around and Geico was BY FAR the cheapest by like $3-400 a year!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Happy belated Birthday!!!

Look for your insurance to drop.
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Thats what I've heard, the insurance companies play games with you untill you're 25.
they spike the price at 18, then let it slowly lower, at 21 they push it through the roof again, and then it lowers bit by bit, till twentyfive, and your pretty much good unless you get in an accident
They play games for good reason, under 25 is a very risky time for them.
Don't get me wrong, I have no love for the monopoly we call the insurance companies, but younger drivers do pose the most risk. We've all been there at some point
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
ShawsDQ

Drives: 1995 Camaro
Looks like I might have to wait untill the 2010 model comes out, will be 25 then and wont get slammed as bad with insurance costs.
ShawsDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawsDQ View Post
Looks like I might have to wait untill the 2010 model comes out, will be 25 then and wont get slammed as bad with insurance costs.
It'd be worth checking around if just to see what the rates are if you really want to pick one up in '09. I was checking out rates on a GTO a few years back and the rates were not horrible for me.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
ShawsDQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
It'd be worth checking around if just to see what the rates are if you really want to pick one up in '09. I was checking out rates on a GTO a few years back and the rates were not horrible for me.
Good point, Just went on Geico and checked what it would cost me to insure a Mustang GT today, should be around the equivelent of the base V8 camaro in 2009. Did get a pretty good quote for my age, so might not be as bad as I initially thought.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawsDQ View Post
Good point, Just went on Geico and checked what it would cost me to insure a Mustang GT today, should be around the equivelent of the base V8 camaro in 2009. Did get a pretty good quote for my age, so might not be as bad as I initially thought.
I don't know if it will make a huge difference, but try running that on a new 2006 GTO my initial guess is that there will be a pretty sizable difference because of the horsepower gap.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #13
ShawsDQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I don't know if it will make a huge difference, but try running that on a new 2006 GTO my initial guess is that there will be a pretty sizable difference because of the horsepower gap.
True, mustang only has 300 hp, the camaros performance V6 will probably be that if not a little better. It seems most people are looking at about 425 for the base V8, so GTO will probably give me a better guess. Thanks for the heads up
Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
ChevyNut

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Black on Black
I just got a geico quote on a 2006 GTO and it would run me 762.60 every 6 months. I think i could manage that with a car payment with some cash left to put some gas in the beast.
ChevyNut is offline   Reply With Quote