Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
I hope the GMPP cat back sounds good, I really want to keep the hardware on this car all original (and under warranty!). If nothing else it'll sound better than the stock exhaust so I should be able to live with it.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #16
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
what kind of warranty problems are caused by exhaust swaps?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Does everyone here realize that all car manufacturers have to submit their cars to federal testing for drive-by noise limits? To meet legal requirements vehicle manufacturers have to use a standard drive-by noise acceleration test conforming to relatively easily specified procedures (gear, approach speed, etcetera). The "drive-by" in this instance is the microphone used to pick up the total noise volume generated by the car being tested. This testing picks up all noise generated by the car, so a supercharged car with an audible whine component must have a quieter exhaust to stay under the maximum allowable decibels in order to pass the test.

This federal requirement limits how loud any car manufacturer can make their performance models, so those types of cars are generally tuned for a deeper sound rather than a louder sound. This is one of the reasons that aftermarket exhausts are so popular. Once you purchase a car, you only have to worry about being ticketed for breaking your local sound level ordinances.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
blackZbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
what kind of warranty problems are caused by exhaust swaps?
Next to none, but anything is possible and I say better safe than sorry. But my main issue is that I like thet fact that my car will be 100% Chevy, not 96% Chevy, 4% Borla... just a personal prefernce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
This federal requirement limits how loud any car manufacturer can make their performance models, so those types of cars are generally tuned for a deeper sound rather than a louder sound. This is one of the reasons that aftermarket exhausts are so popular. Once you purchase a car, you only have to worry about being ticketed for breaking your local sound level ordinances.
I've thought about this and always wondered if this standard also applies to noise level increases caused by factory offered peformance parts, or just the car in stock trim. If it does I'll have to keep my stock exhaust in the garage and go with something aftermarket because I want my beast to roar.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #19
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
id like my camaro to be 100% the best it can be....be it 1% flowmaster 5% brembo 15 % AirPowerSystems....etc etc
Old 10-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #20
"KINGPIN"

Drives: None
I installed Corsa exhaust on an 02' C6 and I was very pleased with it. May consider doing the same here.
"KINGPIN" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #21
"KINGPIN"

Drives: None
C5, sorry.
"KINGPIN" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #22
Tom Henry Racing

Drives: 98 Brickyard,The latest THR build
I will have a chambered exhaust available through Tom Henry Racing.
Tom Henry Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #23
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Yea, i have heard the GMPP "Touring" and "Sport" Exhausts for the Cobalt SS, and they are considerably deeper and louder respectively. Very nice for exhaust on a four banger, i prefer the Touring because of the deeper rumble rather then the louder rasp common to four bangers.
I imagine GM will have somthing considerably similar for the Camaro as well.
And i have a 3" single outlet Magnaflow Ultraflow II exhaust on my 305 equipped Caprice, and it yeilds a lovely rumble under idle, and full accel, while being very tolerable at highway speeds. Dual would be very nice, but probably annoying out on the highway at cruising speed.

I won't comprimise when it comes to my Camaro though. It will (most likely) be GM shorty headers and a GMPP Sport Dual Exhaust.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #24
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I seem to remember that GMPP performance exhaust system is actually made thru corsa performance exhaust. I remember seeing a side by side picture example of both somewhere.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #25
blackZbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Weasel View Post
I will have a chambered exhaust available through Tom Henry Racing.
I love the sound of chambered exhaust... when you want a loud, gut rumbling roar out of your pipes nothing beats chambered to me!

Old 10-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #26
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Since we're expressing our personal opinion, here's mine...it's also associated with personal experience. If you want a GREAT SOUNDING exhaust system, with many choices, and I'm sure there will be, even for the Camaro, than go with Corsa. I have a bunch of my corvette friends who all have Corsa's, even a couple with Borlas, but swear by the Corsa's.

Corsa offers a lot of veriations, from sound to performance, and they do it all without any 'drone'. Drone just kills the effect of any exhaust system, and you'll go deaf before your time.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #27
frank99ta

Drives: Trans Am
I imagine its gonna be the usual manufacturers. Corsa will have the least drone and probably the quietest right there with the magnaflow. The GMPP is probably made by borla. I think the GMPP exhaust for the c6 is made by borla. The next step up will be Borla just slightly louder than the GMPP. The loudest will be the SLp of course or for those looking for the extreme, straight pipes or cutouts like on the 4th gen. I like it loud so I'll probably just drive down to the local muffler shop and have him cut the mufflers off and weld up some pipes. I did that with my c-6 and it sounds awesome. I've had straight pipes on just about every car I've had. Sounds good to me.. Oh, and for those that have never had a flowmaster, its like riding around with the muffler in your lap. The interior drone is terrible, plus they don't sound that good on ls1 motors, IMO. They sound good when you start them up and idle, but when you hit the higher rpm's it sound like its blowing air. It's like it loses its sound at higher rpms.
frank99ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #28
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
If a muffler is prone to drone, it will be in one specific small RPM range. Unfortunately, the RPM range is usually right at cruising speed in the top gear. And the drone is so obnoxious that you wind up cruising at a slightly different speed than you normally would (either higher or lower) just to avoid the drone. Corsas and Borlas both make high quality mufflers that do not drone in most applications. The Corsas generally cost more than the equivalent model Borlas.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote