Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray A6
Are our hood vents functional?

I had a self proclaimed expert tell me my hood vents were just cosmetic and did nothing for actual heat dissipation. The roads were dry here in MN, so I took it out yesterday for a quick winter drive. I noticed heat rising out of them, so decided to take a quick pic with my FLIR gun and I think it's safe to say they are functional.

(my bow tie is a flow tie, so it that is why it looks like it's hot )
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
I have a 2015, so my heat extractor is different than yours. I took mine for a wash and hand dry this morning (about 30 degrees here). You should have seen the amount of steam flowing out of my vent from the headers getting wet. Definitely not just cosmetic. Thanks for sharing the FLIR image, pretty cool.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
When the ZL1's first came out, there were some air flow pictures that showed the air flow coming into the front of the car and exiting the hood vents taking the heat from the engine with it.
very effective.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Mine is not as functional as a real ZL1 Hood. I have The TL1 hood insert but i can tell you there is a lot of Heat coming out of those vents
Attached Images

TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #5
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 1983 z28
https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/che...-zl1/2014.html
Here is what gm says about the zl1 aerodynamic of the body and hood.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #6
0stones0
Rowin’ Gears

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Unless the “expert” was thinking of the mail slot, which is not functional. But, I doubt it.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #7
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
I had a self proclaimed expert tell me my hood vents were just cosmetic and did nothing for actual heat dissipation. The roads were dry here in MN, so I took it out yesterday for a quick winter drive. I noticed heat rising out of them, so decided to take a quick pic with my FLIR gun and I think it's safe to say they are functional.

Nice heat imagery!!

I always see the heat waves hovering above my hood while I'm at a stop light on a cool day. I have also tested the aero of the grill and heat extractor after rinsing my car....

Place a leaf blower in front of the upper grill and watch the water/moisture shoot out of the heat extractor vents. Def functional as per GM's explanation.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:

All you have to do is pop the hood on a ZL1 and see that the "mohawk" opens to the atmosphere. The guy that told you it wasn't functional is a bonafide goof.

Not only does it dissipate heat from the supercharger, but it also adds downforce at speed.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #9
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray A6
yep, I knew there were functional, I didn't believe him at all. I just had never had it out in 20 degree weather to see the heat rising and it gave me reason to play with my FLIR E8, just figured I would share.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
12oclockshadow

Drives: 2012 ZL1 M6
Quote:
yep, I knew there were functional, I didn't believe him at all. I just had never had it out in 20 degree weather to see the heat rising and it gave me reason to play with my FLIR E8, just figured I would share.
I always see the heat coming out when stopped at light or parked. Pretty cool!
Speed Engineering 1 7/8 Headers no cats, LPE 2.38 upper pulley kit, Roto-Fab CAI, FIC 1000 injectors, MSD plug wires w/Kevlar heat sleeves, Brick Mod, 160 degree thermostat, Custom Tune by Mike Gforce Motorsports, Phastek Blue map LED and LED footwell lighting, VLEDS DRLs and FOGs.
12oclockshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Cool view of the heat, thanks.

From the GM press release about the car:
  • Hood – The ZL1’s hood has a vented, carbon fibre insert, contributing to both engine cooling and aerodynamic downforce. The specially shaped vents draw air up through the engine bay – allowing a significant volume of air flow while keeping the front tires firmly connected to the pavement.
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote