Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
Best way to clean windshield and windows?

I rarely drive my camaro so most of the time it is in the garage. Yesterday I finished washing it and parked it back into the garage. 7 hrs later, a bunch of dust had fallen on the car. So I decided to take some invisible glass and a microfiber and starting cleaning the windshield. Apparently, there are fingerprints that are like "stained" into the windshield and the sticker that goes on the right side of the windshield is imprinted into the glass. There are also some water spots that can't be taken out, no matter how much invisible glass i spray or how hard I wipe with the microfiber.

What is the best method to clean the windshield and window to keep it shiny, clear, and protected?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
XQIZT
Adam's Distributor

Drives: 1988 Base Coupe, 1991 Z28
If your glass cleaner of choice isn't cutting it, you can try using a clay bar on your glass. That might remove the deeper issues. You can also polish glass if there are really stubborn spots. Keep in mind too that not all glass cleaners and glass towels are created equally.

Florida's Distributor of Adam's Premium Car Care Products
Same Prices and Fast Delivery
Call or text at 407-257-9604 ~ Email at mike@xqizt-automotive.com ~ Facebook.com/XQIZTAUTO
XQIZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
If the above doesn't work as well... 0000 (notice 4 zeros) steel wool works well. Also, the ghosted sticker won't ever leave until you get that car in the sun...
Old 03-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL1CK View Post
If the above doesn't work as well... 0000 (notice 4 zeros) steel wool works well. Also, the ghosted sticker won't ever leave until you get that car in the sun...
This. Then dry it off with some newspaper. - not kidding about the newspaper
Old 03-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
Wouldn't the 0000 steel wool or newspaper scratch the glass?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan's camaro View Post
Wouldn't the 0000 steel wool or newspaper scratch the glass?
Only if you press extremely hard with the steel wool, but if you use it like a cloth, then no. Newspaper won't scratch glass at all... and leaves no streaks.
Had to emphasize extremely, as it's hard to scratch the glass with 0000, but it can be done.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Myfirstgixxer600

Drives: 2010 camaro 2lt
It will sound weird but you can use chrome polish to clean your glass too.
Myfirstgixxer600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
haulingoods
haulingoods

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2 SS/RS Rally Yellow
QUOTE=FL1CK;4586675]Only if you press extremely hard with the steel wool, but if you use it like a cloth, then no. Newspaper won't scratch glass at all... and leaves no streaks.
Had to emphasize extremely, as it's hard to scratch the glass with 0000, but it can be done.[/QUOTE]

Learned about using newspaper for cleaning windows from our Drill Sergeants while going through U.S. Army basic training back in the '70s, actually works really well with just a small amount of water to wet the newspaper to clean, or as other Op stated to dry windshield after washing for a streak free finish.
haulingoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
This. Then dry it off with some newspaper. - not kidding about the newspaper
Well...
maybe:

"It does work, but it's not usually the best option, and there may be some serious drawbacks."

http://housekeeping.about.com/od/ide...newspapers.htm
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Rockit_z28
www.1baddogracing.com

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS Auto
Please see the link for removing water spots. This is the best stuff I have ever tried.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=16

Built and Tuned by Heintz Racing
Go: DSS 9", RPM Trans TH400, Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion, ECS Vortech YSI-B, Fore Fuel System, ID1700, Gall Racing 427 C.I LSX, Mast 285CC Heads, HR Custom Cam

Show: Custom Painted Stripes/Badges (Orange Pearl over White), Z/TA Spoiler, VFN Hood, Weld Wheels
http://www.HeintzRacing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/1baddogracing

Rockit_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Well...
maybe:

"It does work, but it's not usually the best option, and there may be some serious drawbacks."

I've never had that problem at all. I like using it for windows because it doesn't leave any fibers behind like some of those glass microfiber cloths.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Well...
maybe:

That's about old newspapers with old style ink, I haven't seen any that had newsprint come off the paper since the 80s. New process with laser printing makes the ink "burn" into the paper and doesn't smear like the old ink. Unless your newspaper is done the old way, this is a mute point.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I've used #0000 steel wool on glass and chrome plated steel without scratching (keep wet with something). Don't use it on chrome plated alloy wheels, mirrors, inside your car windows if tinted, plastics/rubber, or paint as it will scratch them bad.

Last edited by midnighter; 03-18-2012 at 01:06 AM.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
MKG

Drives: 1971 Camaro roller
Send a message via AIM to MKG Send a message via Yahoo to MKG
For cleaning a windshield I use a few products. I use a few products from Diamondite. They make a clay that is specially formulated for glass. Its a clay bar designed to extract embedded contaminants glass the same way detailing clay works on auto paint. Then second I use Diamondite Glasswork restorer, polish removes mineral deposits and water spots to leave glass impeccably clear and clean. Then as a final step I seal the windows with Optimum Opti-Seal. Yes its a paint sealant but if spread very thin it works great on glass.
MKG is offline   Reply With Quote