Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #43
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantctchme View Post
So I should consult you for your superior statistics knowledge when I order parts for an engine build. The Melling pump relief valve and bore fit is superior to the stock unit. I've seen both.
Please Show Us the Hard data to prove this, I am all Ears and Eyes.

Please dont' take offense, I am still waiting for Hard Data to prove the Melling pump is a better pump.

The only difference I see is the spring.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #44
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quality alone is a fairly great indicator. I have not seen either units up close but what I can say is that for 2 tanks of gas I'd be upgrading my unit to the Melling to give me a better chance if keeping my motor alive. Like Ted says with all upgrades something is going to break. But that's why you make all these upgrades to hope and pray that something doesn't. Just saying 130$ well spent, and not spent else wear for a little peace of mind.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #45
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Quality alone is a fairly great indicator. I have not seen either units up close but what I can say is that for 2 tanks of gas I'd be upgrading my unit to the Melling to give me a better chance if keeping my motor alive. Like Ted says with all upgrades something is going to break. But that's why you make all these upgrades to hope and pray that something doesn't. Just saying 130$ well spent, and not spent else wear for a little peace of mind.
That is what melling wants you to believe.

Listen folks I am not trying to talk any one out of anything, I am just interested in seeing the Hard Data.

So Far No one has come up with Any, that is all I am saying.

Go back and look at statistics, the more of an item on the road the more failures you will hear about.

No one reports Melling oil pump failures but I have see them as well.

lets not Treat the Symptom but find the Cause.

Ted.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #46
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
I think some one quoted Ted as saying "if it has 50k on it change it, if it doesnt, leave it.

That's what I did. Whenever I do another cam swap on mine I'll change the pump and chain since I got 50k on the clock.

So if you got low miles, leave it..............higher mileage, change it!
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410

Last edited by J-Rod6410; 10-11-2012 at 11:39 AM.
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #47
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
That's what I'll do! The stock pump went out at 46,000 miles, ill report back in 3 years after the next 46,000 and see if the melling pump has failed!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #48
LyonsViper27

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS - JRE 415
Someone changes a chain, this requires unbolting the oil pump and re installing it, Seems easy enough bolts right back in Place RIGHT? WRONG!!!!!!!!

Many do not know the pump must be Adjusted for clearance during the install.

This requires removing the cover and running a feeler gauge around the pump rotor, you must have the same clearance all the way around the rotor.

Can you elaborate on this ted?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #49
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Here is an article that talks about centering the oil pump. Basically it has to be centered before tightened down. Can be done several ways.... rotate engine if you can tip the engine straight up (awkward), feeler gages, or aftermarket shims (fancy feeler gages) like talked about in this article. I think most use feeler gages as it is being snugged up, along with rotating the engine.

If anyone wipes out an oil pump right after a cam install, it wasn't a coincidence, the shop didn't center the oil pump, or tore the O ring.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...__systems.aspx

pics in here on how to use the shims to check for centering ( I think this looks best for a DIY job, comes with instructions too)

http://www.schumannsdynamicperforman...nment-kit.html

Last edited by Russell James; 10-11-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #50
LyonsViper27

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS - JRE 415
Thank you Russell James
Ill be adding that to my list
Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #51
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Just my opinion but I believe the fact the Melling pump is cast iron where the pressure relief valve is makes the whole pump more stable across temperature ranges and thus less prone to the piston becoming stuck. At my buddies repair shop he and I have seen OEM LS engine pumps fail ( pressure relief piston stuck ) in as little as 2K miles to 100K miles.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #52
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
That is what melling wants you to believe.

Listen folks I am not trying to talk any one out of anything, I am just interested in seeing the Hard Data.

So Far No one has come up with Any, that is all I am saying.

Go back and look at statistics, the more of an item on the road the more failures you will hear about.

No one reports Melling oil pump fail ures but I have see them as well.

lets not Treat the Symptom but find the Cause.

Ted.
Ted with all do respect I just got off the phone with an engineer from Melling I will PM you his name, email address and phone number. I spent about an hour talking to him and he is as passionate as we are.

First thing is they cannot come in and publish info for us because GM is a client of theirs. We both know what that would create.

Secondly the Melling pumps are completely redesigned not upgraded. The biggest failures on stock pumps are the valves sticking using two different materials and that will wear the bore out. The stock pumps have very tight tolerances using a steel cover and powdered metal rotors with the heat some will even seize together, yes the cover and rotors will Gall and seize together.

Third the Mellings have a what they call a sacrificial ring machined into them. It is a 60 or 100 thou ring that will center the pump and allow the crank to touch it due to movement of the crank. So as far as having to center them it's really not necessary but if installers want to that is fine if they want to take it apart. The crank pulley also assists in centering the pump.

Stock GM springs start to move at 8psi
And begin to regulate at 15psi

Melling stock replacement M295 begins to move at 14psi and regulate at 20psi

Compared to the Melling 10296 the valve starts to move at 27psi and regulate at 33psi.

The darkened color of the pumps is not to make then look pretty its because melling takes the time to machine the surfaces, use an anodize to hardened to material, heat treat and remeasure the pump to specs. That is a lot of work for a 130.00 pump that can last YOU and US members of this community more than 100k miles with peace of mind.
What does melling want us to believe? They don't, GM is their customer. All they did was offer the common folks 6 different better pumps that are better than OEM.
Yes Ted Melling is an upgrade from the reengineering to the materials to the machining of the pump.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #53
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Ted with all do respect I just got off the phone with an engineer from Melling I will PM you his name, email address and phone number. I spent about an hour talking to him and he is as passionate as we are.

First thing is they cannot come in and publish info for us because GM is a client of theirs. We both know what that would create.

Secondly the Melling pumps are completely redesigned not upgraded. The biggest failures on stock pumps are the valves sticking using two different materials and that will wear the bore out. The stock pumps have very tight tolerances using a steel cover and powdered metal rotors with the heat some will even seize together, yes the cover and rotors will Gall and seize together.

Third the Mellings have a what they call a sacrificial ring machined into them. It is a 60 or 100 thou ring that will center the pump and allow the crank to touch it due to movement of the crank. So as far as having to center them it's really not necessary but if installers want to that is fine if they want to take it apart. The crank pulley also assists in centering the pump.

Stock GM springs start to move at 8psi
And begin to regulate at 15psi

Melling stock replacement M295 begins to move at 14psi and regulate at 20psi

Compared to the Melling 10296 the valve starts to move at 27psi and regulate at 33psi.

The darkened color of the pumps is not to make then look pretty its because melling takes the time to machine the surfaces, use an anodize to hardened to material, heat treat and remeasure the pump to specs. That is a lot of work for a 130.00 pump that can last YOU and US members of this community more than 100k miles with peace of mind.
What does melling want us to believe? They don't, GM is their customer. All they did was offer the common folks 6 different better pumps that are better than OEM.
Yes Ted Melling is an upgrade from the reengineering to the materials to the machining of the pump.
Now THAT!!! is an Answer

It also explains why you can't find any hard data published.

Ted.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #54
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Yes sir I believe so as well.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #55
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

He even went on to say that the M295's help out the guys/gals having cold start issues with the AFM lifters. The stock pumps at idle do not flow enough and the AFM lifters actually bleed out lol. So that was good info to have incase it comes up here or on Ls1tech and give others that option.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #56
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Litle88
Good info and that's for doing the legwork .