Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #71
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
Hugh Hefner would be proud sir. Went from Q&A to T&A in only 3 pages. Well done.LOL
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #72
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Incoming!!!
Sensuous!

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #73
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Lmao!
I'm getting banned lol
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #74
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF75645 View Post
Hugh Hefner would be proud sir. Went from Q&A to T&A in only 3 pages. Well done.LOL
Lmao didn't it! Hey I aim to please.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #75
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Glad to help out, and that goes to all members. It's just that I value the dollar and the blue collared worker. I've been working on these since they came out in 98 and I can honestly say I'm no expert at all BUT I know what combos work and which don't or when Co's come out trying to make money off of the inexperienced. Like I say "if you are going into it, upgrade and do it once do right, or you'll be paying twice".

Hope this info helps others.
So i have a question.

So here what i fail to understand. Take shops like JRE, and even mine which is livernois. both shops say to stay with stock. Which unlike you they make money off building, its there source of income. its much more of important to keep people happy, with a good reputation etc... modding a car is a very touchy thing to many. one failure could turn away people from a shop.

a oil pump for 100- 200 is not going to stop someone from doing a cam swap. So its really not a price thing, it cannot be. its really not a big deal to while doing a cam swap, replace it for either the customer or shop. Why would you guess shops put the stock one back in ? its a honest question

what i was told, personally my shop has never seen a failure on there builds (LS3 oil pump, cam). I do not understand how people can honestly mod engines like we do lol. its a unbelievable about of controversy. It has made me never want to touch a engine again. its a sad thing to say. but true, i am even debating about going back to stock cam cuz i cant take this being cammed stuff. its not even about the money to fix something, its the reliability part.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #76
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
So does Melling disclose all this info about their pumps in a datasheet or are we just supposed to believe what some enginner verbally said to a customer on a phone call? The info you described is really good if that's the case but seems that Melling is not trying at all to make anyone aware of this info. They should be on this site and prove it themselves the same way Pfadt or others try to convice everyone how superior their products are. If GM is a client of Melling then you would think they would license Melling's pump design or use Melling in all stock cars. I know that at the end of the day its all about profits but its just wrong to make a crappy product for profit. I am a bit skeptical that GM would put their reputation on the line.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #77
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Mike if you want reliability leave it stock bud. If you want to cam your ride, welcome to hobby that is not for anyone and yea I think it's a brother hood. When a racer needs help no matter what brand your racing everyone will help as much as they can.

It's all a chance really, shit happens. But you minimize those chances by adding quality parts. Especially if your SBE chances for shit happening. You gotta get quality tunes and parts and maintaining them accordingly. Don't loose hope brotha, hey if you want to upgrade your pump and get a bigger cam and C5r timing chain lol.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #78
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Please Show Us the Hard data to prove this, I am all Ears and Eyes.

Please dont' take offense, I am still waiting for Hard Data to prove the Melling pump is a better pump.

The only difference I see is the spring.

Ted.
No offense taken. I don't have data. :Facepalm: I just see a lot of oil pump failures in completely stock vehicles with very little miles. (Service Tech). I understand the importance of a properly installed oil pump and that is probably the reason for the oil pump failures that happen within, a reasonably close proximity to the cam install. The fact that your shop doesn't have oil pump failures after cam installs proves this. I believe I'm correct in assuming you do ALOT of cam installs with many happy customers. I just don't have very much confidence in the gm gen 3/4 oil pump except for the vehicles with active fuel management (L99, many 5.3s), their pumps seem pretty tough in stock applications.

On a side note, I'm a little OCD and will be doing 3bolt gear, c5r chain, Melling pump, trunion upgrade, Tooley valve springs and pushrods, a rabbits foot, four leaf clover, and a penny on heads with my cam replacement.
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #79
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Sorry to hear that!
for the rebuild id recommend a C5r from katech, ls2 dampner. What crank pulley are you using? Reason I ask is because harmonics plays a big role in breaking chains.

I don't know who you are asking, but my chain broke at 4,200 miles total, 500ish after cam install with an under pulley. I put the OEM pulley back on during the rebuild.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #80
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

I wa asking because I wanted to see what underdrive pulley you were using. There's a brand I think was a big culprit with having harmonics I believe it was ASP pulleys. What chain were you using sir?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #81
1Camaro2SS

Question: Do you need to remove the oil pump out of the way in order to replace the chain tensioner with an LS2 dampener? I think the answer is no but would like to check with the experts on here. thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #82
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Camaro2SS View Post
So does Melling disclose all this info about their pumps in a datasheet or are we just supposed to believe what some enginner verbally said to a customer on a phone call? The info you described is really good if that's the case but seems that Melling is not trying at all to make anyone aware of this info. They should be on this site and prove it themselves the same way Pfadt or others try to convice everyone how superior their products are. If GM is a client of Melling then you would think they would license Melling's pump design or use Melling in all stock cars. I know that at the end of the day its all about profits but its just wrong to make a crappy product for profit. I am a bit skeptical that GM would put their reputation on the line.
Like I said before I gave Ted the engineers number to converse with he did not need to talk to me but i got lucky because he is a gear head, they CANNOT go public and publish ANYTHING, if you had a multi million dollar account youd understand they also have Ford and Chrysler as clients so respect it and believe it or not. Melling has nothing they need to prove and we'll let their record speak for itself. If you don't want to buy one then don't its that easy.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #83
1Camaro2SS

Quote:
Like I said before I gave Ted the engineers number to converse with he did not need to talk to me but i got lucky because he is a gear head, they CANNOT go public and publish ANYTHING, if you had a multi million dollar account youd understand they also have Ford and Chrysler as clients so respect it and believe it or not. Melling has nothing they need to prove and we'll let their record speak for itself. If you don't want to buy one then don't its that easy.
Yeah I get it man. To me it was never about the extra $130. I'd pay $500 for an upgraded pump. I am also not afraid or lazy to do the work. I have an engineering background and takes a lot to convince me. I'm all about the data like some folks on here. In any case thanks for going out of your way to find out that info for us.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #84
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
I wa asking because I wanted to see what underdrive pulley you were using. There's a brand I think was a big culprit with having harmonics I believe it was ASP pulleys. What chain were you using sir?

It was the SLP pulley and I am now using a Katech chain

I wasn't sure because I know I posted that my chain failed but then I thought I removed that post here.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote