Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-01-2022, 08:16 PM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
UGH!!!! Rust

Just saying, before anyone trash talks my having the Camaro undercoated and it still rusting, I had the rustproofing done SEVEN years ago and just this winter, the car developed some surface rust on a lower seam in a rust-prone area. I can live with that.

I found some rust starting on both the wife`s Escape (rear hatch bottom seam) and the Camaro (driver`s door bottom seam).

The weather is far to cold and crappy to fix the issues now, so I`m researching fixes.

So far, the plan is to clean off the rustproofing (on the Camaro), then wire brush the area, spray OSPHO (phosphoric acid solution) and let it convert the remaining rust and cure for 24 hours. Then take POR-15 and paint over the OSPHO-converted rust. On the Camaro, I won`t have to use any touch up paint since the car is already black. On the wife-mobile, there is no undercoating to take care of, so it`s just wire brush, treat then POR-15...I already bought a small spray can of touch up paint for match her car (so she doesn`t have to look at the repair...even though SHE would never see it...she hasn`t seen the rust yet either.

So that`s my plan...does any one have any better ideas or products? I`m going hog wild on You Tube looking at rust converters and "Paint over Rust" products. I already have OSPHO from when my wife`s Jeep rotted out and we welded some floor panels in, and I can get POR-15 from Summit Racing down the street, but I am open to suggestions and ideas.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:15 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Research the POR-15 a little more. I don't know that you want or can apply it over "rust converted" metal. I think its one of the products that doesn't like to be applied over "bare" metal and needs something to bite into. It has been a while since I researched it and I could be confusing it with a different product.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:24 AM   #3
DavidH

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Eastwood has a really nice set of rust encapsulation products. It is paint over style and bare metal option. I've seen it in person and looks really nice.

https://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust...=google&wv=3.1
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:31 PM   #4
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Research the POR-15 a little more. I don't know that you want or can apply it over "rust converted" metal. I think its one of the products that doesn't like to be applied over "bare" metal and needs something to bite into. It has been a while since I researched it and I could be confusing it with a different product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
Eastwood has a really nice set of rust encapsulation products. It is paint over style and bare metal option. I've seen it in person and looks really nice.

https://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust...=google&wv=3.1
I plan on doing a lot more research since it will likely be a good month or two before the weather is nice enough to do the work and I am looking at the Eastwood products as well.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:14 AM   #5
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
This is what I have used for years for rust repairs, expensive but worth it. If you get any on your hands you'll be wearing it for a few weeks.

https://shop.masterseriesct.com/product.sc?productId=10
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:59 PM   #6
DonM
Camaro #4

After some research and recommendations, I think I'm going to buy This Kit which I can pick up locally at Summit Racing, less than 2 miles from my house. Too, a few days ago, I started putting a few coats of OSPHO (rust killer/converter) that I had laying around from when the wife's Jeep had it's floor panels rust out and we welded new metal in. Hopefully, it will at least slow the corrosion down until I can fix it properly in a month or so.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Sorry to hear of this. Rust is a very aggressive element, and if your car gets wet or contaminated with road salt, then it can be an eventual enemy. However, undercoating has been my friend for many years, and it has saved me from certain corrosion issues. A lot of people even say to apply it several times, but I've only applied it once (correctly) on a new car chassis and then I'm done. Bear in mind, that undercoating does NOT prevent rust occuring on other exposed areas, like sheetmetal. Wax generously applied on your painted surfaces goes a very long way in preventing the car from accumulating rust spots. The key is not to have any exposed metal anywhere. I've applied liquid and solid wax underneath (new) door seams, on hinges, and under the hood at the seams, and so far I've had success.

Don't be fooled though, that keeping the car absolutely dry and covered is perhaps one of your best defenses.

Try to eradicate the rust areas and coat the exposed metal. Rust must be eradicated or it will come back. There are products that will encapsulate rust (in cases where you have rust on the chassis underneath the car), and you may have some success with those products. Do as best as you can to treat your rust.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote