Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-06-2022, 07:19 AM   #1
shredder7

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
My Chrome OE SS Chrome Rims bolts are rusting what's best addictive to remove rust?

My Chrome OE SS Chrome Rims bolts are rusting what's best addictive to remove rust?
I noticed 2 bays before I drove my car to the beach I cleaned my rims with some waterless car wash and noticed no rust on any of the bolts of my OE SS chrome rims. But, 2 days later after having driving my car over some sand and coral rocks on the beach parking lot, and parked there for about and hour. The next day, I noticed rust starting to build up on the bolts right away on all 3 rims.
I used a product called BLASTER that supposed to take out the rust. I followed directions by spraying them and wiping them continuously a minute afterwards and it did not take all of it out. I am worried that the rust may spread on my 20" SS Chrome rims. Can someone offer me the best advice to get rid of this rust on the bolts? I seen WD -40 but, I want to ask if that is safe to either use the BLASTER, or WD- 40 on applying them to all my entitre Chrome rims to prevent rust. What is this best and most safest Rusty/ prevent spray for Camaro Chrome rims? Can someone help me please? your help is greatly appreciated! looking forward to help soon Thank you!
shredder7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 10:26 PM   #2
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Wish I knew. Hard to avoid salt air there, but I'd keep it off the beach. Rust never sleeps once it starts. I'd wash and rinse everything for starters. Undercarriage and all. You can try to polish corrosion off and wax chrome to keep it at bay. Is it the lug nuts or wheel studs?
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #3
shredder7

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
It's the lug nuts mainly. I did spray a rust remover from Oreillys auto called BLASTER and sprayed and wiped them off. It doesn't take all of the rust off. I'l just have to keep spraying and wiping . I'm just afraid it might spread throughout the chrome rims. Is W-D40 safe for chrome rims tp prevent further rust?
shredder7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder7 View Post
It's the lug nuts mainly. I did spray a rust remover from Oreillys auto called BLASTER and sprayed and wiped them off. It doesn't take all of the rust off. I'l just have to keep spraying and wiping . I'm just afraid it might spread throughout the chrome rims. Is W-D40 safe for chrome rims tp prevent further rust?
“ Can I use WD-40 on chrome?
The unique formula of WD-40 Multi-Use helps eradicate corrosion from metals such as iron, stainless steel, and chrome without further damaging the surface of the metal or even removing the paint.“
Old 07-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #5
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Before I mounted my 6th gen wheels I had to order lugnuts off of the 'bay since my car came with the steelies. They were from back east and I could see some rust under the covers.
Let them set for a couple days in vinegar which ate the rust then let them dry in the sun. Lite polishing then shot some oil inside and they still look new after a couple years.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:43 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
When I had my aftermarket chromies on the Camaro way back when, here on the east coast of Florida, and went to the beach a lot, after I cleaned them up I use some Turtle Wax chrome polish on my wheels and lugs and they stayed pretty shiny. After you polish them you could put a coating of a ceramic spray detailer just to be safe. Should work.
Attached Images