Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-06-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Compounds, polishes, getting out scratches.

I have never used a compound or a polish, I’ve only ever waxed. I have surface scratches and some that maybe a bit deeper ( looks white ).

I have a repair paint pen and the color matches. I am wondering, paint, compound and polish? Or compound paint polish… ???

Also, Adam’s compound and polish or 3M?
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
Dave-G

Drives: 2011 RS/2LT- manual
In the past, I have preferred 3M for when I HAVE to compound. I always start with the least aggressive route, as I can always go back and try again, but if you get too heavy handed, you cant. Also, you may not need an aggressive compounding. Have you considered using a one step compound/ polish? It goes on in one application. the compound starts the cutting, and as it breaks down, it begins to polish. I would leave any scratch repair till after you do the buffer work.
Dave-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:03 AM   #3
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-G View Post
In the past, I have preferred 3M for when I HAVE to compound. I always start with the least aggressive route, as I can always go back and try again, but if you get too heavy handed, you cant. Also, you may not need an aggressive compounding. Have you considered using a one step compound/ polish? It goes on in one application. the compound starts the cutting, and as it breaks down, it begins to polish. I would leave any scratch repair till after you do the buffer work.
Thanks for the advice, I do tend to go hardcore when I try something new.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:46 PM   #4
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
+1 on the "Start Lightly" school of thought. You can always polish more, but you can't put paint back again (cheaply anyway).
Old 08-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #5
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Do I apply compound to just the scratched areas? Or the whole car? I don’t want an uneven look.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:20 AM   #6
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
To Answer your question it depends on how bad the scratches are and the rest of the cars finish. You may have to kind of feather it out if the finish is decent, I really like 3M products for compounding. I have shelves full of products and I typical use CG Products ( They are not the best and do great with marketing but I do like how they go on and come off.)

If this was me and the car is a darker color , I think I would use these products and in these order.

This 3M is good, there are stronger compounds that may be needed for the scratches you are dealing with but you need to be careful as you can start to really mess up the paint.

https://smile.amazon.com/3M-03900-Ru...ps%2C81&sr=8-6

Rejuvanator works very well and I think you will be impressed.

https://smile.amazon.com/Malco-Rejuv...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Really good Wax

https://smile.amazon.com/Detailers-G...s%2C83&sr=8-13

Some sort of Sealant is good as well

https://smile.amazon.com/Chemical-Gu...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://smile.amazon.com/Chemical-Gu...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is online now   Reply With Quote