Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
BORLA PRAISE

I installed my atak catback over the weekend on a LS3 and I"m 100% satisfied with the results borla makes an excellent product. Fit and finish was excellent. I love the sound of the atak. I had about an hour drive to a friends house to use his lift and on the way i really got pissed at the stock exhaust. I dont do much freeway driving, but it just really irritated me the way the stock exhaust sounds cruising up freeway at about 75-80. Drone was bad IMO, never heard anyone bitch about the stock exhaust with drone but i guess i'll be the first. So as im driving, im thinking man im gonna install this exhaust and hate it, if stock sounds this bad then this atak is gonna be terrible since its so much louder. NOT!!! With the ATAK, IMO , you get a crisp tone at 80 cruising. I was totally blown away. My friend has the s type cat back on his ls3 and I honestly believe the atak has less drone than the stype. atak has more tone but less drone. sounds silly but it true. I know drone is a widely debated term and so be it. but anyone who is afraid of the drone with atak dont be its not any worse than the stype and IMO better. Atak gave the car a race car sound at wide open throttle, but a nice mild tone while being civilized. ITs exactly what i hope it'd be and i couldn't be happier. borla did a great job with this exhaust, good work. sorry no vids. car gets the cash. Camera's on the to buy list
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
nice... but i like a little drone
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jferrell88 View Post
I installed my atak catback over the weekend on a LS3 and I"m 100% satisfied with the results borla makes an excellent product. Fit and finish was excellent. I love the sound of the atak. I had about an hour drive to a friends house to use his lift and on the way i really got pissed at the stock exhaust. I dont do much freeway driving, but it just really irritated me the way the stock exhaust sounds cruising up freeway at about 75-80. Drone was bad IMO, never heard anyone bitch about the stock exhaust with drone but i guess i'll be the first. So as im driving, im thinking man im gonna install this exhaust and hate it, if stock sounds this bad then this atak is gonna be terrible since its so much louder. NOT!!! With the ATAK, IMO , you get a crisp tone at 80 cruising. I was totally blown away. My friend has the s type cat back on his ls3 and I honestly believe the atak has less drone than the stype. atak has more tone but less drone. sounds silly but it true. I know drone is a widely debated term and so be it. but anyone who is afraid of the drone with atak dont be its not any worse than the stype and IMO better. Atak gave the car a race car sound at wide open throttle, but a nice mild tone while being civilized. ITs exactly what i hope it'd be and i couldn't be happier. borla did a great job with this exhaust, good work. sorry no vids. car gets the cash. Camera's on the to buy list

I am even more excited to get mine done now ! Great review , you answered alot of the questions I had about the ATAK . Hopefully my parts to complets the exhaust will show up this week , Borla said they would get them out by Mon or Tues at latest . Enjoy the ride !
fargomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
That is definitely the first time that I've heard anyone say that the stock exhaust has a drone lol
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
add a set of lt headers and delete the cats and you will really love the sound.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
blake2010ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to blake2010ss Send a message via MSN to blake2010ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspaul View Post
add a set of lt headers and delete the cats and you will really love the sound.

416, AGP 6262, E85, Cam
blake2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
i had my Borla "S" Type installed a month or so ago and it rattled. took it back and they said it was rattling on the tunnel brace..they tightened it up and it stopped rattling. now, the other day, it started rattling again. any idea what i can do? upgrade the tunnel brace? or just take it back again?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
blake2010ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to blake2010ss Send a message via MSN to blake2010ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
i had my Borla "S" Type installed a month or so ago and it rattled. took it back and they said it was rattling on the tunnel brace..they tightened it up and it stopped rattling. now, the other day, it started rattling again. any idea what i can do? upgrade the tunnel brace? or just take it back again?
We put 4 washers between the brace and car per bolt. Fixed my rattle... we'll see how it lasts

416, AGP 6262, E85, Cam
blake2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
gtbaldini

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
I purchased the Barton Tunnel Brace...It's solid, compared to stock it's bulletproof. Much stiffer and you won't need the "washer fix."
gtbaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
That is definitely the first time that I've heard anyone say that the stock exhaust has a drone lol
i hear it on mine as well, im not sure of the rpms but it seems like when im in a higher gear with low rpms, its not as loud as a car with exhaust but i can tell where it will be when i get exhaust
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Does the axle back generally have more issues with drone than a catback?
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbaldini View Post
I purchased the Barton Tunnel Brace...It's solid, compared to stock it's bulletproof. Much stiffer and you won't need the "washer fix."
that's the one i was looking at. i'll have to check it out. thanks!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
gtbaldini

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS LS3
Your welcome.
gtbaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
southerncarparts

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
You need the Camaro G1 tunnel brace....It will accommodate up to a 3" aftermarket exhaust.

Jim
southerncarparts is offline   Reply With Quote