Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Talking First Drive. Wow!

As some of you may remember, I started a thread last week asking about driving the Camaro in the snow. Well yesterday My wife and I test drove an LS with all season tires on it. In the 24 hours before this we received over 5 inches of fresh snow and the roads were icy and sloppy.

At first I was a bit leery, but not for more than a moment after pulling onto the highway. Holy s***! This thing's awesome in the snow. I have no idea what you people who say "the Camaro is crap in the snow, get a beater" are talking about!!

I drove a V6 M6, and I had no problems whatsoever going anywhere. Passing traffic in an unplowed passing lane with 3 inches of rutty slush on it? No problem. Stopping on an incline in traffic and getting going again? No problem. Pulling into an unplowed parking lot that is facing uphill? Still, no problem.

I never got stuck, got sideways, or even spun excessively. The car went where I pointed it, and never got unruly. Unless I made it, of course

This car's a beast! And all this on all season rubber.

I'm 6'6 and I had no trouble fitting, no trouble with visibility. I just set my side mirrors to my blind spots and never had any trouble backing out of any parking spots. I took this car everywhere I would normally go and it handles everything beautifully. The only gripe I had with it was the silly reverse gear. It should never be top left. I kept finding R instead of 1st. Guess I'm just used to a proper gearbox where R is on the far right. Pretty minor gripe though.

And for those who think the V6 is a weak motor, I have to disagree. I never felt any lack of power. Sure it's not the mighty V8, but it's still very potent.

The only downside is that since it was a manual, (local dealer has no A6's) my wife didn't get to drive it. She got to look beautiful in the passenger seat. Of course this means we are going to have to do another test drive with an automatic, but I think I can handle that.

I'm still grinning!
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
IamJacksCamaro

Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
Glad to hear that you like it! I just had mine out in the snow a few weeks ago, and realized the same thing. GM sure did a good job developing the Camaro! I agree with everything you said. The LS has plenty of power for me.
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Camaro could be the best car on the streets in the snow and I still would not drive mine in the snow with all the salt and sand on the streets.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
You really should try the V8! It may not be the one for you but all too often people later resent not at least trying it because when they do they wish they bought one.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Devon
Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
Camaro could be the best car on the streets in the snow and I still would not drive mine in the snow with all the salt and sand on the streets.
Fortunately, in my immediate area the MTO and the Township does not use salt on the roads. Salt brings the deer and moose to the highway and a lot of accidents were happening. They stopped the salt because of that. Salt is still used on the Trans Canada Highway, but I use that highway very infrequently.

The sand is another issue, but I am very meticulous about washing my cars frequently. I run a hose out of my basement window so I always have running water outside all year long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
You really should try the V8! It may not be the one for you but all too often people later resent not at least trying it because when they do they wish they bought one.
FOr my next test drive I am going to try an A6 V6 and a automatic V8. I really have no intention of buying the SS, but I still want to try it.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
As some of you may remember, I started a thread last week asking about driving the Camaro in the snow. Well yesterday My wife and I test drove an LS with all season tires on it. In the 24 hours before this we received over 5 inches of fresh snow and the roads were icy and sloppy.

At first I was a bit leery, but not for more than a moment after pulling onto the highway. Holy s***! This thing's awesome in the snow. I have no idea what you people who say "the Camaro is crap in the snow, get a beater" are talking about!!

I drove a V6 M6, and I had no problems whatsoever going anywhere. Passing traffic in an unplowed passing lane with 3 inches of rutty slush on it? No problem. Stopping on an incline in traffic and getting going again? No problem. Pulling into an unplowed parking lot that is facing uphill? Still, no problem.

I never got stuck, got sideways, or even spun excessively. The car went where I pointed it, and never got unruly. Unless I made it, of course

This car's a beast! And all this on all season rubber.

I'm 6'6 and I had no trouble fitting, no trouble with visibility. I just set my side mirrors to my blind spots and never had any trouble backing out of any parking spots. I took this car everywhere I would normally go and it handles everything beautifully. The only gripe I had with it was the silly reverse gear. It should never be top left. I kept finding R instead of 1st. Guess I'm just used to a proper gearbox where R is on the far right. Pretty minor gripe though.

And for those who think the V6 is a weak motor, I have to disagree. I never felt any lack of power. Sure it's not the mighty V8, but it's still very potent.

The only downside is that since it was a manual, (local dealer has no A6's) my wife didn't get to drive it. She got to look beautiful in the passenger seat. Of course this means we are going to have to do another test drive with an automatic, but I think I can handle that.

I'm still grinning!
YOU ARE HOOKED , unless you pay a visit to DR PHIL !!!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Devon
Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
YOU ARE HOOKED , unless you pay a visit to DR PHIL !!!
Screw Dr. Phil! I don't wanna be cured.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
BowTieDrifter
selling nissan for a 2SS

Drives: 95 Nissan 240sx fully drift prepped
me either. healthiest addiction ever? side from gym addict of course haha
just glad i dont have to worry about snow! good to hear it does fine anyway.
BowTieDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
2SS

Quote:
Screw Dr. Phil! I don't wanna be cured.
GOOOOOOOOOD , then join up the club and be happy ever after
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
FOr my next test drive I am going to try an A6 V6 and a automatic V8. I really have no intention of buying the SS, but I still want to try it.
I wouldn't advise driving the SS, then, because you won't want anything else!

The V6 is great, but the L99 and LS3 are truly addicting...
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Awesome! Now go buy it!!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:37 AM   #12
Devon
Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
I wouldn't advise driving the SS, then, because you won't want anything else!

The V6 is great, but the L99 and LS3 are truly addicting...
So I keep hearing. But I have strong willpower, and an even stronger urge to keep my wife happy. If we get the Camaro, it will be the V6. We both enjoy me having a drivers license.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:52 AM   #13
Phoenix328

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IBM
I too was also in the club of sports cars are for summer......but this is the first car i bought snow tires for and WOW what a difference i have had exactly zero problems in the snow in fact i take the camaro in the snow over the wife's front drive impala because the camaro is more surefooted. and btw i have the V8.

1100: 07-01-09 4000: 08-25-09
4200: 08-25-09
5000: 09-02-09
6000: 09-02-09
2000: 07-24-09
2500: 07-29-09
3000: 07-30-09
3100: 08-02-09
3300: 08-05-09 TPW 08-17-09
3400: 08-13-09
3800: 08-24-09
Phoenix328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:37 AM   #14
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
...and reverse is to the right and up on the V8!

Best regards,

Elie