Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Microfiber cloth maintenance

I just got a kit from Adams and after claying the car, i was wondering if i am supposed to clean the microfiber clothes, they turned pink from the detail spray, so am i supposed to put them in the washer or are they ok just to leave or is there some other way of cleaning them?
gmen09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Some people say you shouldn't wash microfiber towels. However I do it quite often. I use a little oxyclean mixed with a detergent, and I would NOT recommend fabric softener.

Also, if using a dryer, do not use a dryer sheet. It adds a lot of static and stickiness.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
Maverickhpr

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2LT RS
with my adams microfibers i use the cleaner that they made for microfibers http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-751-a...rightener.aspx and it is the best i have used on them tried it first on my well used ones and they came out better than new. I was one of thoose people that tried everything to restore my microfibers.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
I spot treat with APC then presoak mine in a bucket of hot water over night, rinse, then back in the bucket with warm water and Woolite over night. Hang dry. They come out looking like new each time.

Some recommend staying away from the dryer, others will recommend its ok.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
The next in my series of FAQ threads, addressing our most common questions and concerns with aspects of detailing.

Microfiber. Its probably one of the most, if not THE most important part of a paint correction and care routine. All the effort spent polishing and cleaning can be undone in an instant if the wrong towels are used.

Being that microfiber plays such a pivotal role in the 'shine enthusiasts' collection it seems only fitting that they should receive the appropriate care and cleaning to insure a long and useful life.

PROPER MICROFIBER CLEANING:
  1. Always separate lights and darks as well as heavily soiled towels to avoid cross contamination.
  2. Wash dark towels and heavily soiled towels (like ones used for metal polishing) in a separate load from other towels. Wash microfiber only with other microfiber, do not mix with cotton or other materials.
  3. Pre-treat any stains with Adam's APC.
  4. Machine wash using a warm water setting and extra rinse cycle if the machine is equipped.
  5. Use only a liquid laundry detergent, no granulated, preferably an allergen free detergent that contains no dyes or perfumes.
  6. Machine dry on a low heat setting with no fabric softener.
SOME TIPS FOR MICROFIBER TOWEL & APPLICATOR CARE:
  • Pre-Soak: If you know your detail will be a long one, and you'll be going thru a lot of towels, start a pre-soak bucket. Fill a bucket 1/2 - 2/3rds full of water, add approximately 3-4oz of APC and stir. As towels are used up toss them in the bucket to soak. When the detail is done, pull them out, wring out excess water, and proceed with your usual wash routine. The pre-soak will help prevent stubborn stains from setting in and make routine cleaning easier.
  • Taking it a Step Further: Put a grit guard in the bottom of your pre-soak bucket. Larger contamination dislodged from the towels in the soaking process will then be kept separate from the towels and making sure they come as clean as possible in the wash.
  • Spot Treatments: Sometimes there will be spots that just don't come out in the wash. Fear not! Most times a more concentrated cleaning in that area and another washing will remove them or at least reduce them. Use full strength Adam's APC to spot treat, scrub really well with your fingers or against a grit guard to work the cleaner in deep. Flush with water and wash as usual.
  • Storage: Microfiber towels should always be stored in a clean, dust free environment. Avoid storing them where small creepy-crawly critters may find their way into the pile so you don't end up with an unpleasant surprise. Plastic storage totes make excellent storage and organization systems for your towels while ensuring you'll have clean, dust free towels at the ready.
  • Air Dry If Possible: Machine drying your towels is fine, but any amount of abuse you can spare them will help prolong their lives. If possible line/air dry your towels, they may feel a tad crispy, but this is remedied simply with a mist of Waterless Wash or Detail Spray before use or even a few second tumble in the dryer.
  • Boiling Towels: Over time your towels may accumulate a buildup of waxes, polish residue, polymers, or even fabric softener residue from the dryer. The best way to remedy lack of absorbency or linting from these issues is boiling -
    1. Simply bring a large pot of water to boil
    2. Add in 2-3 capfuls of white vinegar.
    3. Add a couple towels at a time and allow them to boil.
    4. Try to avoid allowing the towels to sit against the sides or bottom of the pot for too long.
    5. After a few moments pull each towel out (using tongs to be safe) and flush under cool water.
    6. Wash these towels using your usual routine and they should be as good as new!
Like anything else detailing, taking good care of your tools and accessories means they'll take good care of you. Microfiber being 100% man made means its much more durable than many naturally occurring fibers, so make sure to treat your towels with care and they'll serve you well for a long time!
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
More than you want to know:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/microfiber-products/
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
GPC1

Drives: Camaro SS
The new Adams Microfiber Revitalizer works awesome!
GPC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Some people say you shouldn't wash microfiber towels. However I do it quite often. I use a little oxyclean mixed with a detergent, and I would NOT recommend fabric softener.

Also, if using a dryer, do not use a dryer sheet. It adds a lot of static and stickiness.
Wonder how they clean them then.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
Wonder how they clean them then.
I have been playing guitar for 17 years. For my ultra-expensive, mahogany body guitar it is necessary to use a certain microfiber towel to clean them. Washing these type of microfiber towels ruins them and they suggest never letting them touch the body of the guitar again once they have been machine washed.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
How often should we replace microfiber towels? Are they good forever?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
I have been playing guitar for 17 years. For my ultra-expensive, mahogany body guitar it is necessary to use a certain microfiber towel to clean them. Washing these type of microfiber towels ruins them and they suggest never letting them touch the body of the guitar again once they have been machine washed.
Do you have a picture of a link to the this microfiber towel? I am curious because I have spoken with and meet with many of the leading suppliers of microfiber towel manufacturers and generally the only towels that washing ruins are those made of the absolute cheapest qualities.

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote