Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:29 AM   #57
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Ok so here is what I'm not understanding about laser jammers.

Radar detectors work as follows. You drive along, your detector finds a signal and goes off, you have time to check your speed (unless of course it is the dreaded laser). By the time you actually reach the area the officer is radaring (is that a word?) you are at the legal speed and have been scared enough to obey the speed limit for the rest of your drive. That's how I am anyway.

From what I understand about how lasers work, the have to be in a direct line of site. Otherwise if they were behind buildings they wouldn't be able to identify the car. Now I may be wrong, but from what my dad has told me (he works for a local PD) all cops are trained to be able to recognize a speeding vehicle with or without radar. Even if this jammer scrambles the signal to the police car, you aren't notified of the signal until it hits you, at which point the officer can plainly see you and can tell you are speeding.

You just wasted 800 dollars on the jammer, plus the cost of the ticket, PLUS the extra fine/penalties tacked on for having the contraband jammer.

Doesn't seem worth it to me.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 AM   #58
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I would just like to say that they very fact that you view police officers as "out to get you", makes them that much more likely to give you a ticket. The way you act towards them when they walk up to your window is greatly influncenced by how you think about them.

I've also been told that if you slow down, smile and wave an acknowledgement to the officer that just tagged you as you go by, many times they will not pull you over as they know they got their point across to you.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #59
rlg3

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Why radar and laser jammers work

From some recent research, first-hand experience, and talking to others. Generally, a radar detector will work well in your local town or city, where generally officers are using radar bands that a detector will pick k,ka,x, etc.

If you do a lot of interstate travel where state troopers are more likely to use laser a jammer will work.

The key to not getting caught on a jammer is take a small dark or black car like a 2010 camaro for example, when the officer tags you with the laser a good jammer will jam his gun without it registering as a jam, he may think he didnt not get a good tag and continue to tag you, you will get a loud audible noise in the cabin at which point you should slow down and turn off the jammer via a small switch in the cabin, at the point the officer will pick-up your speed which will now be within the legal limit.

If you fail to slow down and turn off the jammer you will get caught.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #60
rlg3

not accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post
A couple of things... Jammers are illegal everywhere. And it is not a ticket if you get caught with one it is actually a federal offense. Jammers emit a radio signal in an attempt to confuse a police radar and consequently are classified as transmitters by the FCC. Now given the frequencies that radars operate on (24.150GHz for K band and 33.4-36GHz for Ka band) you are required by federal law to have a license before you can operate equipment on those frequencies, which makes the very act of having a jammer illegal to own, not to mention illegal to sell so anyone who is selling you a radar jammer is full of it. So if you get caught with one you are technically at the mercy of the cop and depending on the mood they are in you could spend some time with your local agents.

And as for a laser jammer. Take that $800 bucks, roll it up and throw it out the window on the freeway. Don't even waste your money. You cannot evade a lidar (laser radar which is the technical term for a laser system). Once your detector alerts you to a laser hit it is already way too late. The cop already has your speed by then. The newest lidars cannot be jammed anyhow, they are pulse width modulated emitters which means they can filter out any signal they did not generate in real time.
you dont evade a lidar with a jammer you jam it, they cannot pick up your speed, even the newest lidar have been tested and they can be jammed quite easily, the key to not getting caught is to reduce your speed and turn off the jammer
Old 08-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #61
divvichild
Corvette Owner

Drives: '06 MS Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg3 View Post
From some recent research, first-hand experience, and talking to others. Generally, a radar detector will work well in your local town or city, where generally officers are using radar bands that a detector will pick k,ka,x, etc.

If you do a lot of interstate travel where state troopers are more likely to use laser a jammer will work.

The key to not getting caught on a jammer is take a small dark or black car like a 2010 camaro for example, when the officer tags you with the laser a good jammer will jam his gun without it registering as a jam, he may think he didnt not get a good tag and continue to tag you, you will get a loud audible noise in the cabin at which point you should slow down and turn off the jammer via a small switch in the cabin, at the point the officer will pick-up your speed which will now be within the legal limit.

If you fail to slow down and turn off the jammer you will get caught.

Exactly Correct. This is how you are supposed to use a jammer. However, there are videos of idiots jamming the gun all the way past the cop.

Someone said that all the newest Lidar guns can be jammed. No true, the newest gun, True Speed, cannot be jammed yet. Good thing it will not be implemented in the United States for a while.

Check out this thread from a jammer forum: http://www.kmph.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=547

These guys are scared.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:27 AM   #62
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Ok so here is what I'm not understanding about laser jammers.

Radar detectors work as follows. You drive along, your detector finds a signal and goes off, you have time to check your speed (unless of course it is the dreaded laser). By the time you actually reach the area the officer is radaring (is that a word?) you are at the legal speed and have been scared enough to obey the speed limit for the rest of your drive. That's how I am anyway.

From what I understand about how lasers work, the have to be in a direct line of site. Otherwise if they were behind buildings they wouldn't be able to identify the car. Now I may be wrong, but from what my dad has told me (he works for a local PD) all cops are trained to be able to recognize a speeding vehicle with or without radar. Even if this jammer scrambles the signal to the police car, you aren't notified of the signal until it hits you, at which point the officer can plainly see you and can tell you are speeding.

You just wasted 800 dollars on the jammer, plus the cost of the ticket, PLUS the extra fine/penalties tacked on for having the contraband jammer.

Doesn't seem worth it to me.
Yea 99% of the population does not realize a cop can right ticket on visual estimations only. It is also case law that ANYONE can visually estimate a vehicle going 30mph over the speed limit, you dont have to be a cop or an engineer to KNOW someone is doing 90+.

I usually let people figure that out when we get to court and I win...

Alot of people also dont realize radar has a "hold" which means the cop can be running radar without actually transmitting. Once he identifies a speeding vehicle he can wait till the vehicle is within range to operate the radar and THEN transmit. By the time your radar tells you a cop is in range, it is to late.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:33 AM   #63
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divvichild View Post
Exactly Correct. This is how you are supposed to use a jammer. However, there are videos of idiots jamming the gun all the way past the cop.

Someone said that all the newest Lidar guns can be jammed. No true, the newest gun, True Speed, cannot be jammed yet. Good thing it will not be implemented in the United States for a while.

Check out this thread from a jammer forum: http://www.kmph.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=547

These guys are scared.
True, as I stated in my last post..I dont need radar or laser if I am certified for visual estimations. If I point my lidar on your vehicle for 5-10 seconds and I can visually confirm you are doing 20 over and I am getting NO response from a lidar that has immediate and confirmed targetting...then it doesn't take alot of brains to realize im being jammed and you are going to get stopped, cited, and then I am goin to pull my dog out and find a way to get in your car and take you to jail. I consider myself a very forgiving officer, I don't stop till 20 over city and 30 over highway, and if i stop 10 people a night I probably only write 3 or 4, and in alot of cases I am forgiving to people with very small amounts of marijuana and open cases of alcohol (yea I will give you a lil scare to learn your lesson, I may not take to jail)....but if you are going to go as far as get a jammer my forgiving side dwindles away.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #64
divvichild
Corvette Owner

Wow, brantley847. Los Angeles needs more cops like you. The reason a lot of people around here do not take kindly to authority is because of the attitude that officers have. Here, it is common for officers to ticked for anything more than 5 mph over.

I received a ticket for doing 8 over on an industrial 6 lane street. I was polite and courteous to the officer, he must have been having A REALLY bad day.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #65
aston70

Drives: Me Nutz!! Arrrrgh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Alot of people also dont realize radar has a "hold" which means the cop can be running radar without actually transmitting. Once he identifies a speeding vehicle he can wait till the vehicle is within range to operate the radar and THEN transmit. By the time your radar tells you a cop is in range, it is to late.
I have to humbly agree with you here...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #66
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg3 View Post
you dont evade a lidar with a jammer you jam it, they cannot pick up your speed, even the newest lidar have been tested and they can be jammed quite easily, the key to not getting caught is to reduce your speed and turn off the jammer
You cannot simply jam a lidar unit. Just to think about jamming a lidar you have to contend with two major issues:
1) Since you don't know where the cop is with the lidar gun you would have to be emitting light (since we are talking about laser (lidar) systems here) in every direction all the time ensure effective jamming (remember, the cop does not have to be in front of you to get your speed with lidar, it works from behind, the side, above, basically just about any place he can get a bead on your car with the gun will work for him (all the lidar needs to work is the laser beam to be reflected back to the gun from any surface of the vehicle)), and you would have to transmit on every wavelength of light that the lidar uses. Oh, and just for fun your jammer would also have to be able to compensate for the Doppler shift that the lidar gun is expecting for the returned reflection, which also happens to change with distance from the gun, since which of course your jammer has no way of knowing how far away the lidar gun is it would just have to guess.
2) Your jammer would have to transmit continuously. A lidar unit is only on for the split second the officer is checking your speed. It does not give any warning that it is on until the beam hits you. Since a jammer has no way of knowing when the lidar will be activated it always has to be on and assuming there is a lidar in the vicinity. If the jammer were to wait until it detected a lider emission it would be too late. Remember, you are dealing with a laser based system, a system that operates at the speed of light. By the time a jammer detected a signal and activated the jamming system the lidar will have already received back its initial pulse it sent which is all it needs to register a speed.

The bottom line is that unlike radar, which is very susceptible to the injection of noise into the system (jamming), lidar is not because you are dealing with highly focused beams of light, not radio waves. The only way that you could actually blind a system like that would be to emit a pulse of light so powerful it overwhelms or burns the optic sensor responsible for receiving the returned signal. Of course the only source of light powerful enough to do that would be another laser, and it would have to be a lot larger than the laser diodes that are so common. A couple of hundred watts might work, of course there is the down side of instant blindness that would occur to anyone that happened to look at such a beam directly.

And think for a second about the people making the claim that those jammers work. Don’t you think if you made a product that you thought you could sell for $500 - $1,000 that you would be standing on the roof tops screaming at the top of your lungs about how well this newly developed, state of the art, never before seen, leaves all others in the dust, system works. Do you really think for a second these people are going to come out and say, yeah it's crap, but you should still spend your hard earned money on it? Come on now...

Oh, and even if such a system did work, many of the new range based adaptive cruise control system (the kind that can speed up or slow down based on the distance between you and the car in front of you) are based on lidar systems which means your “jammer” if it actually worked as claimed would mean that systems like that would just come crashing into you if you stepped on your brakes since it would have no way of knowing you slowed down since you were “jamming” it.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #67
divvichild
Corvette Owner

Beyond Limits, no offense, but you do need to do more research on laser jammers. I'm not an advocate of them, nor to I plan to purchase one. But they do work.

As for not having to be in front of the car, yes, to get the most accurate speed you do need to be in front. Lidar works just like radar, it emits a pulse, and measures the amount of time required for it to return. Doing this twice allow it to determine the speed. If you are to the side of the vehicle, using basic trigonometry, you can see that the greater the angle away from the movement of the car, the lower the speed will be.

If you dont think they work, just search youtube for laser jammer. Yes, they do work. Are they worth the money, imho, NO
Old 08-30-2008, 03:10 AM   #68
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divvichild View Post
Wow, brantley847. Los Angeles needs more cops like you. The reason a lot of people around here do not take kindly to authority is because of the attitude that officers have. Here, it is common for officers to ticked for anything more than 5 mph over.

I received a ticket for doing 8 over on an industrial 6 lane street. I was polite and courteous to the officer, he must have been having A REALLY bad day.
Evey jurisdiction has their big ticket writers. I have one in my department, hes a good guy be he has his personal reasons. You see numerous serious injuries, deaths...sometimes on duty and with friends off duty...I guess its takes a toll on some officers and they tighten up on their personal restrictions and views of safety I suppose...
Old 08-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #69
rlg3

speeding and jamming

Couple things radar detectors and jammers both work and work well. Is there going to be ways around them of course however it will provide you with a large amount of protection.

Im not a silly dangerous driver, if I am on an expressway I like to go between 75-85 and I got tired of getting tickets for doing so. Everytime, I have been given a ticket it has been a bright sunny day, I never get tickets at night or in bad weather or even in the winter, I dont know if thats me or the cops. I havent not gotten a ticket on anything but expressways, tollways, or freeways. I dont speed in neighborhoods or on local roads, but it just a damn shame I cant go 80 mph on a highway. Radar detectors and jammers are a useful tool.

If they didnt want me to go that fast they wouldn't make cars that fast
Old 08-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #70
rlg3

fairness

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Evey jurisdiction has their big ticket writers. I have one in my department, hes a good guy be he has his personal reasons. You see numerous serious injuries, deaths...sometimes on duty and with friends off duty...I guess its takes a toll on some officers and they tighten up on their personal restrictions and views of safety I suppose...

But I bet he doesnt write other cops tickets or their families!!!!

Closed Thread