Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #197
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
The more we take responsibility away from drivers, the more they will take advantage. Lane departure is for people texting instead of driving. By making driving so safe, we’ve ensured the lazy and incompetent to escape the fate they deserve. Driving habits are at an all time low in terms of following the rules of the road and good old manners. I’d like to see mandatory technology that disables all cellphones while in motion over more crutches for people unable or unwilling to give driving the level of seriousness it requires.
We already have mobility for those who can't or are unwilling to detach/untether themselves from their phones and tablets.... it's called public transportation!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #198
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
If only Rob...

Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #199
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
So you are saying what most of the people you see are distracted with is technology?
Kinda ironic that we are trying to fix the problem by piling on more technology.
Yes and yes.

I don't see it as ironic at all though. It's a partial solution. I have hundreds of idiots putting my life at risk daily and if employing driver assisted vehicles will make it more likely I come home at night then I'm all for it. It's not an end all be all and the technology may never be 100% without flaws. However from what I witness everyday it will guaranteed saved lives.

I just saw a blue convertible mustang with two very young girls get t-boned by a dump truck today in front of a local high school. The girl in the passenger seat was decapitated. I arrived just after it happened but I promise you it was because of distracted driving.

This year I have seen more fatal accidents than I have ever before in my life. I welcome some kinda change to prevent this.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #200
CrazyRED

Quote:
we’ve ensured the lazy and incompetent to escape the fate they deserve.
What about the people that they harm our kill that don't deserve it. My innocent sister was killed by a drunk driver when she was 3. Did she deserve it? My mom was permanently disfigured because she was stuck in the same car that was on fire. Did she deserve it?

This "what about me" attitude that many people on this thread are taking seems very selfish to me. You have all been assured by someone very involved in driver assisted vehicles that you will not be losing your personally driven vehicles. Also, a little bit of common sense and a little less paranoia should tell you nobody is coming for your self driven vehicles. People that are endorsing these vehicles are just asking you to look at this objectively.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #201
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
We already have mobility for those who can't or are unwilling to detach/untether themselves from their phones and tablets.... it's called public transportation!

Not anywhere near me. The public transit here is disgusting and extremely inadequate. Plus it stops running at night in most places. Tampa, St Pete, and Clearwater is a huge area with millions of people and even more during the tourist season. So this is not just a small town problem.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #202
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
What about the people that they harm our kill that don't deserve it. My innocent sister was killed by a drunk driver when she was 3. Did she deserve it? My mom was permanently disfigured because she was stuck in the same car that was on fire. Did she deserve it?

This "what about me" attitude that many people on this thread are taking seems very selfish to me. You have all been assured by someone very involved in driver assisted vehicles that you will not be losing your personally driven vehicles. Also, a little bit of common sense and a little less paranoia should tell you nobody is coming for your self driven vehicles. People that are endorsing these vehicles are just asking you to look at this objectively.
Your reading comprehension skills are a tad lax. No your sister didn’t, as do any others hurt or killed by drunk & impaired drivers, which is completely not the topic being covered. The “deserved” would be the one that killed her by a conscious decision to break the law.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #203
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Not anywhere near me. The public transit here is disgusting and extremely inadequate. Plus it stops running at night in most places. Tampa, St Pete, and Clearwater is a huge area with millions of people and even more during the tourist season. So this is not just a small town problem.
IDK if you saw the at the end of my statement or not. I know it's not feasible or realistic, I only WISH it was as someone who rides a bike and sees the distracted morons on a daily basis.

This a pic of the right saddlebag of my old ST1300!
Attached Images

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #204
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
I'm all for autonomous vehicles.

The more we can take the human out of "human error" the less fatal driving on the worlds roads will be, for everyone, including those of us that still like to drive. One of the problems at the moment is there are to many humans developing different programming and technologies to achieve vehicular autonomy. There needs to be some serious standardization enacted, similar to what you find in the electrical industry so that most, if not all, products can be depended on to behave in a consistently safe manner.

A central approval authority akin to Underwriters Laboratories to put the products through rigorous testing and if they pass, stamp that thing like any other appliance, which is what automobiles will be once reliable autonomy is achieved, and ship it out to the consumer.

I don't know how many of you have played video racing games but, imagine if you will, a road filled with NPC (non playable character or "AI") cars that all behave in a predictable and reliable fashion according to consistent programming standards. While all those people, that don't really want to learn and participate in driving a car, are shuttling to and fro, those of us that still want to can just go. The gaps will come and you can get on down the road. Just think how nice it would be if, as you pull ahead of an NPC car in the next lane, pop your signal to move over in front, that autonomous car slows down, or doesn't speed up, to let you in? Yeah, in a perfect world that'll work out.

To bad we'll still have humans doing the programming so won't completely eliminate the human part of error. If we can get it consistent across products and platforms however and once the playable characters learn how the NPCs behave, in an altercation between the two, it'll generally be the fault of the "PC".

Fault, responsibility and liability are really where the current set of problems are causing the most angst. When your refrigerator or washing machine quits working it doesn't usually kill anyone, at least not directly. If it does, there's generally a paper trail of responsible parties to track down and blame. Right now there's way to many folks with their fingers in the autonomy pie and half of 'em won't admit just how many fingers they've got sunk in and no real regulations and specifications to how it all gets built and baked, so there's no clear path to trying to decide why the stupid thing crashed and who's gonna pay for the damages. Callous or otherwise, people will continue to die, deserving or not, from people doing stupid things. If we're not killing ourselves and/or others with cars, we'll find something else to build or use stupidly and die anyway. "Hold my beer, watch this....." "It oughta' work man, let's try it out...."

Here's a really strange thing. My wife doesn't really like to drive. She has a phobic dislike of vehicular autonomy and has stated on more than one occasion that she will in no way, shape or form, own such a thing. I, on the other hand, am all for it and hope to see it shape up before I die. I like to drive. I enjoyed it quite it a bit more when I was younger and at 15 years of age was determined to have my license by the minimum of 15 1/2. 25+ years of driving all manner of commercial vehicles wore that enjoyment down some but the bike maintained some of it and the Camaro rejuvenated a bit more of that enjoyment. I don't really have any qualms about owning an autonomous car but I think our energy transfer technology will have to change drastically, and by that I mean something other than carbon or silicon based materials, before full autonomy will be realized. I dunno if I'll live long enough to see that.

At any rate, I say bring on those NPCs. I'll drive around 'em just like I do in video games.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #205
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

So what happens to the rest of us when autonomous cars are hacked and become lethal missiles?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #206
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
IDK if you saw the at the end of my statement or not. I know it's not feasible or realistic, I only WISH it was as someone who rides a bike and sees the distracted morons on a daily basis.

This a pic of the right saddlebag of my old ST1300!
My bad, I was on a tablet in my truck waiting for a job. I don't even think the emote showed up at all.

Also I was a rider for 24 years and just recently sold my R1 because it is just too insanely dangerous and not even fun with all the idiots on the roads anymore.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #207
CrazyRED

Quote:
Your reading comprehension skills are a tad lax. No your sister didn’t, as do any others hurt or killed by drunk & impaired drivers, which is completely not the topic being covered. The “deserved” would be the one that killed her by a conscious decision to break the law.
I completely understood what you were saying, but I was pointing out where your attitude towards the "bad guy" also effected the innocent. By integrating this technology into cars, people that are lazy, incompetent, dangerous, ect, it helps people that are responsible and safe.

I don't condone drinking and driving, but I would much rather a person that was drunk and was going to drive regardless be able to get in the car punch in an address and end up there safely.

That was my point and that's how it fits into the topic at hand. This technology can remove some or a majority of these hazards off the road for the people that can drive and do it responsibly.

I have no idea if this technology will fly or flop, but I have an open mind and I would like very much to see it explored further and the technology keep advancing.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #208
CrazyRED

Quote:
So what happens to the rest of us when autonomous cars are hacked and become lethal missiles?
LOL!!! I love this counter argument out of all of them just because it's so outrageously, insanely ridiculous. This was also not the first time this was brought up in this thread either. Of all the things in the World that could be hacked and turned into weapons somebody is going to take control of every single car at once and turn them against us? lol

Terminator with Prius's. You watch too many movies my friend.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #209
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
LOL!!! I love this counter argument out of all of them just because it's so outrageously, insanely ridiculous. This was also not the first time this was brought up in this thread either. Of all the things in the World that could be hacked and turned into weapons somebody is going to take control of every single car at once and turn them against us? lol

Terminator with Prius's. You watch too many movies my friend.
Read Car & Driver’s issue on self driving cars. They interviewed a well known hacker that took control of a Jeep Grand Cherokee remotely.

You don’t need “all” in any context. You clearly have no experience in terror and risk assessment.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #210
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Read Car & Driver’s issue on self driving cars. They interviewed a well known hacker that took control of a Jeep Grand Cherokee remotely.

You don’t need “all” in any context. You clearly have no experience in terror and risk assessment.
The thing is, it doesn’t have to be an autonomous car. It could just as easily be your Camaro that gets hacked. None of the cars that have been hacked so far are autonomous or even EV. Not saying that they can’t be, but there’s nothing about an autonomous vehicle that makes it more hack-worthy.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote