Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-31-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Rear cradle bushing preliminary install 2 post lift

I have seen all of the DIY threads for removing the rear cradle bushings. All of them have been on the ground with jackstands and heat method. I will be doing mine from a 2 post lift. I also picked up the ridetech rear bushing removal kit for $20.00, so no heat method.

Any recommendations when doing it on a 2 post lift? Dont want the rear cradle hitting me in the head. Do i still need to disconnect the rear sway bar, the LCA's, and the struts to get the cradle to move enough to get the old ones out and the new ones put in?

Do i still have to worry about supporting the rear cradle in the center as i dont have a transmission lift or anything?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
NoDakZ/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28 CTF
With a two post lift I would just drop the entire cradle and do it. Easiest with a lift like that.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
NoDakZ/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Really, the same thing has to happen whether is on jack stand or on a lift. The back wheels are off the ground and the cradle is hanging free. You might consider getting an under hoist jack stand https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...and-61600.html. I did mine with a 4 post lift but still had to lift the car off the wheels.

I'm not sure about how much clearance you need for the tool. When I installed the BMR bushings I used the heat method and followed the other DIY threads and disconnected everything. I would think with the tool you still have to get the thickness of the stock bushing worth of clearance, maybe even more. I swapped the BMR for solid last week and was able to just unbolt/loosen the subframe enough not get the 2 piece BMR out and the new ones in.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
oachalon

Trying not to remove the entire cradle. I thought about getting a cheap under hoist jack like that for safety reasons.

I dont need much spacing to get the tool in as it looks like this. Just a small plate you have to put in there. But i also need enough space to put the new solid cradle bushing in.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
The whole thing just comes right out, as one unit. Sway bar stays on:
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I’ve done this. When you lower the rearend down with it still in the car put rags buy the axle boots. I cut one of my boots on part of the lower frame.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
oachalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
The whole thing just comes right out, as one unit. Sway bar stays on:
I know, but i feel just for cradle bushings i dont think its necessary to drop the entire assembly. I think i am going to try and do it still in the car. I will mostly be doing it by myself, so i would most likely have to wait for help on holding the exhaust when removing, holding the cradle, etc if i drop the entire assembly.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
Trying not to remove the entire cradle. I thought about getting a cheap under hoist jack like that for safety reasons.

I dont need much spacing to get the tool in as it looks like this. Just a small plate you have to put in there. But i also need enough space to put the new solid cradle bushing in.
You could probably get by with loosening the subframe and disconnecting the shocks.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
Btrbimmer

Drives: 2SS 1LE Silver w/Recaro NPP
Don't remove the whole thing. Just drop it down far enough to replace the mounts.

Btrbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote