Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-06-2021, 08:32 PM   #491
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
But how many times does anybody drive 350 miles in one day? Personally, I do that 3 - 4 times a year. In the meantime, you can wake up every morning with the full range available to you and not stop at a gas station or a charging station for months. I’m not going to choose a car based on something that I only do 3 - 4 times a year. Especially now that charging networks and fast charging are available. If it takes me a few minutes more to use a fast charger than it would have taken me to fill up with gas, I’m not gonna be too concerned, because that might happen 3 - 4 times a year.

Our next car will probably be Cadillac Lyriq to replace both the Volt and the SRX. The interior on the Lyriq is spectacular. Lyriq or a particular Chevy EV that my company forecasts will be on the market in 2023.
Nice interior. But man, I wouldn't want to have to replace that instrument cluster on my dime after warranty.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #492
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Nice interior. But man, I wouldn't want to have to replace that instrument cluster on my dime after warranty.
True dat.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #493
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Well, by the time it needs replacement a new one will probably be $300 and another $300 to install and program.

Remember when a 486 33 MHz with 4 MB RAM was $2500?
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:07 PM   #494
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Well, by the time it needs replacement a new one will probably be $300 and another $300 to install and program.

Youngin' That was years after my first rodeo with "computers", the RAM alone was more $$ than that and MB was not even a thing.

SO yes, I agree as the technology gets more and more prevalent you will see the price "drop", and I am going to say that will be your "PC/phone/tablet////", jump in, "plug it in" (via wireless) - drive to work, "unplug" and go to work.

Oh, it is coming. Look at a 2011 car dash and cell phone then the same from 2021.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:59 AM   #495
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post

That IC will be more than that at the dealer. Benz equivalents are around $1,800+ shopping online.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:59 AM   #496
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
And when I compare the 82 Trans Am my mom bought I believe it delivered a whopping 145 HP. Those were the dark days for sure. There was a time when the Chevy Citation X11 was there fastest car to 60.

But it's what we had and for those days they were still great cars.
Exactly.

The 1979 Malibu we had that started out with 160 HP was quite good for its time (and that was knowing - going in - that I wouldn't be leaving it untouched).

Quote:
Enjoyed them all.
That's what happens when you buy the sort of car that best 'fits' you.

The trick comes in recognizing what that entails.

Norm
Old 03-07-2021, 08:12 AM   #497
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
But how many times does anybody drive 350 miles in one day? Personally, I do that 3 - 4 times a year. In the meantime, you can wake up every morning with the full range available to you and not stop at a gas station or a charging station for months. I’m not going to choose a car based on something that I only do 3 - 4 times a year. Especially now that charging networks and fast charging are available. If it takes me a few minutes more to use a fast charger than it would have taken me to fill up with gas, I’m not gonna be too concerned, because that might happen 3 - 4 times a year.

Our next car will probably be Cadillac Lyriq to replace both the Volt and the SRX. The interior on the Lyriq is spectacular. Lyriq or a particular Chevy EV that my company forecasts will be on the market in 2023.
As the XT5 is due for at least a refresh (5 years old now), my guess is Lyriq will be the replacement.

But since you brought it up, very disappointed in GM with the big reveal for a car not coming until 2023. I even have doubts about the Hummer staying on time as we've seen nothing driving around camo or not for a 2021 launch. Heck for a 2021 launch we should be pretty close to CTFs running around.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:45 AM   #498
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
And when I compare the 82 Trans Am my mom bought I believe it delivered a whopping 145 HP. Those were the dark days for sure. There was a time when the Chevy Citation X11 was there fastest car to 60.

But it's what we had and for those days they were still great cars. Enjoyed them all.
Yeah I remember when I bought my 1982 Z28 new it was rated at 140 hp with a 4 speed manual trans. A couple years later I bought a 305 HO L69 air cleaner assembly with the ducting and installed it on my ‘82 for probably a 10 hp gain. That old 4 barrel Quadrajet really kicked in when punching it but I hate to say it was still a slug as compared to the Mustang and Corvettes of the day.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:46 AM   #499
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Other people will choose differently. Miles per tankful hasn't been a significant consideration for most folks since the days of odd-even gas rationing - you just stop to refuel when the gas gauge drops below your comfort point. Or some calculated distance to empty number. No planning involved.

Yes, fast charging is the quick answer, but that apparently has a downside in terms of how fast battery capacity drops off. I wonder how people would fill their gasoline tanks if they knew that using a fast pump somehow caused the fuel tank to contract by, say, half a cubic inch every time they pulled up to the fast-fill pump. Or choose that car in the first place.

Norm
Old 03-07-2021, 09:01 AM   #500
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I am thinking about all the lines of EV vehicles at the charging stations every day. And let’s not forget about what happened in Texas a couple of weeks ago with the power outages. How will people charge their vehicles when there’s no power source due to bad weather and other issues with the power grids and stations. The politicians and others are trying to sell us on this great idea of the country being total electric but I just don’t see it happening anytime soon like projected. I do know this that our lower gasoline prices are gone now and it’s going to cost a lot more now and I really wouldn’t be surprised to see more people getting rid of their big trucks and SUVs just because they can’t afford gas to run them. We have seen it before and most definitely will see it again.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #501
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I am thinking about all the lines of EV vehicles at the charging stations every day.
Why would there be lines? Most EV owners will plug their vehicles in at home overnight and wake up with a full charge. Starting the day with 200+ miles of range. Only those making long trips would need to stop at a charging station.

Quote:
And let’s not forget about what happened in Texas a couple of weeks ago with the power outages. How will people charge their vehicles when there’s no power source due to bad weather and other issues with the power grids and stations.
Know what else wasn’t working in Texas a couple weeks ago? Gas pumps. They run off electricity from the grid. Probably some stations were able to operate off generators. Same is probably true of electric vehicle owners who have home generator systems. And for the really out there EV owners who have converted to solar, they are like “Power outage? There’s a power outage?”

Quote:
The politicians and others are trying to sell us on this great idea of the country being total electric but I just don’t see it happening anytime soon like projected. I do know this that our lower gasoline prices are gone now and it’s going to cost a lot more now and I really wouldn’t be surprised to see more people getting rid of their big trucks and SUVs just because they can’t afford gas to run them. We have seen it before and most definitely will see it again.
It will take a long time to get to a place where more electric vehicles are sold than ICE vehicles. At least 3 - 4 product generations, because no automaker can turn over their entire product portfolio in one shot. Well, maybe some of the smaller ones like Volvo or Mazda. For the record, Mazda isn’t interested in going full electric, so it will take a long time for them too.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 03-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #502
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Other people will choose differently. Miles per tankful hasn't been a significant consideration for most folks since the days of odd-even gas rationing - you just stop to refuel when the gas gauge drops below your comfort point. Or some calculated distance to empty number. No planning involved.

Yes, fast charging is the quick answer, but that apparently has a downside in terms of how fast battery capacity drops off. I wonder how people would fill their gasoline tanks if they knew that using a fast pump somehow caused the fuel tank to contract by, say, half a cubic inch every time they pulled up to the fast-fill pump. Or choose that car in the first place.

Norm
I pretty much agree, especially with regard to fast charging degrading the battery. Thing is, most people would only need fast charging for trips that require driving more than the vehicle’s range in one day. For me, that would be 3 - 4 times a year. That’s not gonna ruin a battery. And the thing that most people don’t really conceptualize until they experience it. You don’t have to wait for the “tank” to drop off to a certain level, then top off. If you plug your car in at night, you top off every night. And you can go most of the vehicle’s life never having to use external charging. We’ve had Chevy Volts since 2012. Every morning we have 38 - 54 miles of range. Very, very rarely do we use it all.

In fact, the only times I personally use external chargers is when I go to football and baseball games. GM HQ has free to the public chargers in front of the building and the building is walking distance from Ford Field and Comerica Park, so rather than pay $40 - 60 for parking, I drive my wife’s Volt and get there early enough to plug in.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #503
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
I am thinking about all the lines of EV vehicles at the charging stations every day. And let’s not forget about what happened in Texas a couple of weeks ago with the power outages. How will people charge their vehicles when there’s no power source due to bad weather and other issues with the power grids and stations. The politicians and others are trying to sell us on this great idea of the country being total electric but I just don’t see it happening anytime soon like projected. I do know this that our lower gasoline prices are gone now and it’s going to cost a lot more now and I really wouldn’t be surprised to see more people getting rid of their big trucks and SUVs just because they can’t afford gas to run them. We have seen it before and most definitely will see it again.
Guess what also didn't work a few weeks ago here in Houston. Gas stations.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:48 AM   #504
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Why would there be lines? Most EV owners will plug their vehicles in at home overnight and wake up with a full charge. Starting the day with 200+ miles of range. Only those making long trips would need to stop at a charging station.

Know what else wasn’t working in Texas a couple weeks ago? Gas pumps. They run off electricity from the grid. Probably some stations were able to operate off generators. Same is probably true of electric vehicle owners who have home generator systems. And for the really out there EV owners who have converted to solar, they are like “Power outage? There’s a power outage?”

It will take a long time to get to a place where more electric vehicles are sold than ICE vehicles. At least 3 - 4 product generations, because no automaker can turn over their entire product portfolio in one shot. Well, maybe some of the smaller ones like Volvo or Mazda. For the record, Mazda isn’t interested in going full electric, so it will take a long time for them too.
Agree fully on your final point. There over 200 million cars on the road, if I recall correctly. To replace all of those IF 100% of the 17 million per year market were EVs, it would be at least 12 years to replace them all. And depending on who you believe we will all be dead by then.

The first point however is going to be an issue for renters. Unless your apartment is progressive and puts in charging stations you might need to “fill up” in a conventional sense at a charging station. So only disagree with the word most, but that’s picking nits. Many? But not being able to charge overnight as you suggest may have a big impact on who buys an EV.