Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #379
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
When it comes to Dodge, you never know what the hell will be the end product until the damn stuff is on the showroom floor. The real facts about the Challenger now are...
1) Will have its current body run until the 2015 Model Year.
2) Model Year 2014 (starting in June) will have a N/A 3.6L, 5.7L, 6.4L or supercharged 6.2L option. Will it have a slight facelift on the body for the 6.2L?? Rumors as of now.
3) After the 2014 Model Year, who knows what is going on. It definately will have a body and chassis change and who knows what it will look like. But the N/A 6.4L and supercharged 6.2L will still be an option.

Will it be able to compete with the new Camaro and Mustang......We will see but I hope so. Competition is good!!! I would consider the new Dodge platform if it looks good. I might need a daily driver by 2015 and would buy its V6 version if its a decent looking car and not a POS. Ive had 3 Challengers and dont want another one in its current form. Wont need the 6.2L since I already have the GT500.
I love the Challenger's, they look bad when done right. They are just so heavy without the chassis or suspension to support it. Im sure they have somehting up thier sleeves for the 2015 MY to try and keep pace with the other big two.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #380
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
I think the competition will be VERY close.

I think all 3 cars will have irs and weigh around 3600 lbs.
The Camaro will be alpha based so that alone drops around 300 lbs.
The rumors I've heard say similar for dodge.
Both will be using NA and SC 6.2 engines.
I'm guessing ford chasis will be similar as well with the 5.0 seeing a bump in power.
It's very likely the Mustang will continue to be the lighter chassis, however as you said if the Camaro and Challenger can get down to roughly that then congrats to them! They'll have some well performing cars.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #381
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
I doubt Ford stock rises or falls based on how the Mustang compares performance-wise to its direct competitor any more than GM's does based on the Camaro.

At the end of the day, it's all about sales, and the Mustang is selling just as well as the Camaro is these days despite a going-on-9-years old body style/chassis. Do you really think Ford is going to put a bunch of R&D dollars into the current generation Mustang when the next gen is right around the proverbial corner?

The next generation Mustang is in the same stage at Ford as the Corvette was for GM last year. I imagine Ford will be content to produce the 2014 Mustang base, GT and GT500 with a few minor tweaks until the 2015 MY is introduced. But then again, Ford does surprise people from time to time with a special model in the outgoing year of a given generation.
With the death of Carroll Shelby I wouldn't be surprised to see a special edition 2014 GT500 as a tribute.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #382
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
I doubt Ford stock rises or falls based on how the Mustang compares performance-wise to its direct competitor any more than GM's does based on the Camaro.

At the end of the day, it's all about sales, and the Mustang is selling just as well as the Camaro is these days despite a going-on-9-years old body style/chassis. Do you really think Ford is going to put a bunch of R&D dollars into the current generation Mustang when the next gen is right around the proverbial corner?

The next generation Mustang is in the same stage at Ford as the Corvette was for GM last year. I imagine Ford will be content to produce the 2014 Mustang base, GT and GT500 with a few minor tweaks until the 2015 MY is introduced. But then again, Ford does surprise people from time to time with a special model in the outgoing year of a given generation.
Waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy over the top!
You got ALL that out of my simple comment???
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #383
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Bottom line, obviously Ford already threw everything at the Mustang to ride out the remaining 2 years on this design. And stock does rise and fall on reviews. Stock values are mostly emotionally based.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 01-04-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #384
JWR046

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarklin View Post
After living with BMWs for over 20 years now (BTW my wife still has hers), there is no question BMWs out-sophisticate any American car. Starting with the level of fit and finish, motor refinement and going on from there. But I'm willing to give the ZL1 a chance, because I've read that the road manners are excellent.
A bunch of different articles state that the BMW M3 drivers will be very surprised driving the ZL1. I have only driven one years back and it was pretty nice. They always say the M3 is one of the best balanced driver cars. Price wise I think both cars are close just preference. I am an american V8 guy.
JWR046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #385
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Bottom line, obviously Ford already through everything at the Mustang to ride out the remaining 2 years on this design. And stock does rise and fall on reviews. Stock values are mostly emotionally based.
Thank God you're not my stock broker.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #386
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
With the death of Carroll Shelby I wouldn't be surprised to see a special edition 2014 GT500 as a tribute.
If you think about it, it would make faaarrr more sense for Ford to offer a one-model-year-only Shelby GT 350 tribute version, built from the BOSS since it's apparently "going away"...and built with Michelin Pilot SS tires and the Track Key-only...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #387
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Thank God you're not my stock broker.
Do I really have to explain it? Of course the value is based on tangibles, but the movement up or down is typically emotionally based. Example: congress sneezed...
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #388
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Went away, as in its production run is already complete. If the rumors are true, Ford might just buy Shelby Automotive outright at some point in the near future. If that happens, they'll already have a GT350 ready to go for a swan song. Doubt it will happen, but who knows?!

Two years? Ford is already taking orders for 2014 Mustangs and the next generation will be introduced as a 2015 model to commemorate its 50th year of uninterrupted production.
So yes 2 years 2013 & 2014.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #389
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
I know this offtrack,lol. But in the same issue of C&D they test a new viper against a zr1.
ZR1 was faster by 2 seconds at laguna.

I couldn't find the article online, but I did find a motor trend article.
It says the zr1and z06 hold the 1 and 2 spot for fastest production cars at LS
Nuts!

No mention of heatsoak or brake fade haha.
Stopped from 60 in 91 feet!

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/co...s/viewall.html
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #390
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Ford is already taking orders for 2014 Mustangs and the next generation will be introduced as a 2015 model to commemorate its 50th year of uninterrupted production.
As far as I'm concerned Mustang production was interrupted during the years 1974-1978 when the Mustang II was produced. I don't believe that the Mustang II was one of Ford's better ideas.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #391
ChuckD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Heat soak really isn't a significant issue in this case. On the track, the heat exchangers are pretty efficient (especially if track temps are moderate). The stock ZL1 is very effective at controlling heat soak on the track... otherwise it never would have done so well on the Ring.

On a different topic... The difference between the GT500 and ZL1 will be magnified in the hands of ameteurs. Professional drivers may be able to get similar track times on some courses, but you'll find the ZL1 is much easier to drive fast in the hands of an ameteur driver.

I've been to a track day with a ZL1. If I remember correctly, it was his first time and he was the fastest car out that day.

ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #392
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
You're missing the point. 2013 MY run is already complete. If you order a Mustang today, it will be a 2014 MY car. That being the case, around this same time next year (1 year from now) you will be ordering the next generation Mustang and taking delivery later that spring/summer. The next generation will be on the streets next summer, not two years from now.
If you order a Mustang today, it will be a 2013. The 14 order forms will be out mid year, around June or July, and as September or October deliveries.