Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
ChevyTaco

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
2013 1LS brake change

So my car is at about 70k miles. Noticed steering wheel shudders under light braking and the car kinda does a bump under braking at los speed (5 mph or so). So I'm looking to get my brake system replaced and slightly upgraded. So new rotors are a given...are hawk street compound tires a good choice for the pads? Also, is it worth it to get better brake fluid like DOT 4 and get low expansion brake lines?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
How much life is still on your pads? If the rotors are warped but the pads still have a lot left in them I would just get the rotors resurfaced at a fraction of the price; if the pads are near their end then you might as well replace both.

What is your application/how hard do you drive the car? For strictly street driving I would just replace the pads and rotors with the factory ones as you won't see a great deal of improvement (if any) with aftermarket parts under light or moderate use. If you're replacing pads and rotors then this would also be a good time to replace the fluid (since the fluid can absorb moisture over time), but again for street driving I would just go with factory spec DOT 3 as a high-performance DOT 4 fluid won't buy you much if anything.

Stainless steel brake lines may be worthwhile as they're relatively cheap, but if you really want improved stopping power I'd look into a set of SS calipers which can be bought for well under $1000 all-in used - even closer to $500 if you can find a good deal.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
ChevyTaco

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Most of my miles are highway miles as my place of work is about an hour away, but I do spirited driving on the weekends on back roads as well as utocross once a month.