Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #15
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter18155 View Post
I wouldn’t consider it expert work. I don’t consider myself an expert by any means! However I will say that you should have a competent welder who you trust can make quality strong welds. Other then the welding it really isn’t that hard or complicated using the flanges we were discussing earlier.

The op wasn’t asking about doing the oil pump etc just commented his pan leaking. So removing the radiator water pump etc is unnecessary unless he intends on changing out the actual oil pump. If he just needs to remove pan and replace gasket he doesn’t need to take front of motor apart.
I'm in the middle of it right now.
Attached Images

ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #16
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
You can't replace the oil pan gasket until you take off the timing chain cover. You cant take off the timing chain cover until you remove the radiator water pump etc .
That is wrong. I know it’s wrong the front bolts to the oil pan on v8 motor bolt into the front cover. Op has ss so he has v8 he doesn’t need to remove the front cover to the timing chain. I just did this myself and didn’t remove it. The v6 motor you may have to do all that but not on the v8
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #17
Scooter18155

Once you remove the cross member its as Easy as removing the bolts to the pan, removing oil cooler from side of pan, lifting the motor slightly so the pan can clear oil tube.

Heck even in your own picture you can see the front of pan And see the 2 bolts that go into the timing cover. Once those two bolts are out, rest of bolts and oil cooler done there’s nothing from the timing cover preventing the oil pan from coming out. Only reason to go as far as you did is for oil pump, cam, or timing chain changes. Which the op wasn’t asking about
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #18
wasthatacop?

Quote:
I wouldn’t consider it expert work. I don’t consider myself an expert by any means! However I will say that you should have a competent welder who you trust can make quality strong welds. Other then the welding it really isn’t that hard or complicated using the flanges we were discussing earlier.

The op wasn’t asking about doing the oil pump etc just commented his pan leaking. So removing the radiator water pump etc is unnecessary unless he intends on changing out the actual oil pump. If he just needs to remove pan and replace gasket he doesn’t need to take front of motor apart.
Here's the oil pump with the horizontal bolts removed. After you remove these 4 bolts, you'll need to remove the one vertical bolt connecting the oil feeder tube to the pump. The oil pan and feeder tube are connected. If you dont disconnect the feeder from the pump, you'll never drop the oil pan.
Attached Images

ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
Old 08-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #19
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
Here's the oil pump with the horizontal bolts removed. After you remove these 4 bolts, you'll need to remove the one vertical bolt connecting the oil feeder tube to the pump. The oil pan and feeder tube are connected. If you dont disconnect the feeder from the pump, you'll never drop the oil pan.
The feeder or pickup tube is not connected to the pan at all. It bolts to the oil pump and then bolts again to the crank cover pan/motor just under the crank (don’t know proper name for the pan but it’s not the baffle inside the oil pan)
Old 08-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #20
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
The feeder or pickup tube is not connected to the pan at all. It bolts to the oil pump and then bolts again to the crank cover pan/motor just under the crank (don’t know proper name for the pan but it’s not the baffle inside the oil pan)
It’s called the windage tray, and your right I’ve had a few ls engines apart and never had to pull the pickup tube to get the pan off. I just tore an Ly6 6.0 all the way apart 2 weeks ago with no problem removing the pan.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #21
Scooter18155

I couldn’t find a better picture but here you can see the pickup tube still attached to the motor without the oil pan. It only bolts to the oil pump and a bolt that holds on that pan/windage tray you can see in this picture under the crank. If my pan was still off the car and I could get better pictures I’d gladly show you better detailed pictures. But my oil pan came right out of the car without pulling the timing chain cover.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #22
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
It’s called the windage tray, and your right I’ve had a few ls engines apart and never had to pull the pickup tube to get the pan off. I just tore an Ly6 6.0 all the way apart 2 weeks ago with no problem removing the pan.
Thank you I couldn’t remember that name off the top of my head for the life of me lol. It was like oh I know what it is but but I can’t remember! lol
Old 08-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #23
wasthatacop?

ahh, I see. You are right. I was wrong. Yea, I think he could do all the work himself if he wanted to.
ZL1 factory rims
Old 08-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #24
Hussein Ali

Drives: Camaro v6 rs 2014
hi
can someone tell me how to write a post?
I am new here and I couldn't figure out how to write a post. the only thing I found is to reply to a post.
I can a problem with my 2014 v6 Camaro and I would like to ask the community here.
thank you
Hussein Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #25
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussein Ali View Post
hi
can someone tell me how to write a post?
I am new here and I couldn't figure out how to write a post. the only thing I found is to reply to a post.
I can a problem with my 2014 v6 Camaro and I would like to ask the community here.
thank you
There should be a 'New Thread' button on the upper left of the forum page that you are located in and want to post in. Click that button, then give your thread topic a name under 'Title' and create your post in the 'Message' box.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:32 AM   #26
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Thanks guys for all your input. I Have a small welder and what I think I'll do is tack wield the flanges on and take it to a shop to have it professionally wieded.
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #27
Tarendor

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss rs L99
On my 2012 I unbolted the steering rack and pushed it forward so the pan would drop enough to clear the pick up tube. I made my own cross over brace.

2012 2SS/RS, L99, no cats/mufflers, Ported intake manifold, fuel rail upgrade, ID1050x injectors, Vmax throttle body, 25% UDP, GPI DOD delete, GPI SS3, GPI cnc heads, GPI – 5/16″ Hardened Pushrods, BTR trunion upgrade, BTR .660 springs, pcv revamp w/dual catch cans, Circle D 3800, full BMR suspension & bushings. ZL1 fuel pump, HPT programmed fpcm. JMS bap, Snow VC-50 methanol setup. custom 4gal methonal tank, vs7875 turbo, FMIC, precision 46mm WG, 50mm BOV, 3bar map, SJM line lock, Innovate SCG-1, Hurst shifter with tap shift mod, ×2 Holley 14" fans Diy E85, Diy auxiliary pump
Tarendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #28
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarendor View Post
On my 2012 I unbolted the steering rack and pushed it forward so the pan would drop enough to clear the pick up tube. I made my own cross over brace.

I remember reading your post about your cross member mod! Thought you did an awesome job with it! Kinda thought about copying your method myself!

I remember you saying you moved the steering rack. I found it easier to loosen the two bolts for the motor mounts and jacking the motor up a tad and the pan came right out. There probably isn’t a wrong way to make the room I guess it just depends on what your most comfortable with.