Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blownSS View Post
...Just frustrated because I was speeding to avoid an accident. I was driving (in the rain) at speed limit with no care in the world. Out of nowhere a corrolla on my right decided to try and cut in my lane while I'm next to him. Quick decision: 1. speed up and cut to the left in front of another car 2. Slam the brakes and risk a rear end accident So I chose #1. From 60-83km/h in 2 seconds and bam I get nailed. At this point I'm so annoyed with the situation I start blasting the officer.. I asked him if he just saw what happened and he says "ya I saw you going really fast" anyways long story short I kept him outside in the rain arguing for 15 minutes. I still got the ticket 190$ 3 points and told him I'll see him in court.
Well...at least you aren't denying it. But remember, you've posted about it and admitted to the speeding. Not like they are going to ever find you, but it's happened before. Either way, a Judge should hear you out. They will toss them out down here if they are not reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso View Post
Sorry to here that but never argue with them because they write out a second report on what happened to submit to the court that you don't see with the ticket. If he used laser ask if the officer has had training and if he calibrated the gun before using it they have to ever time or all the tickets he issued that day are void.
Depends...

To my knowledge, the laser/radar is calibrated at the factory and officers don't calibrate them as they are not certified. They can run through the laser/radar tests, but that checks its factory settings. Officer training could be different, though.

Good job to everyone keeping the cop bashing out of here. We've had to hand out several infractions recently for it. I don't mind helping with advice when I can...and when people are open to it and are nice about it. So, thanks.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Well...at least you aren't denying it. But remember, you've posted about it and admitted to the speeding. Not like they are going to ever find you, but it's happened before. Either way, a Judge should hear you out. They will toss them out down here if they are not reasonable.

Depends...

To my knowledge, the laser/radar is calibrated at the factory and officers don't calibrate them as they are not certified. They can run through the laser/radar tests, but that checks its factory settings. Officer training could be different, though.

Good job to everyone keeping the cop bashing out of here. We've had to hand out several infractions recently for it. I don't mind helping with advice when I can...and when people are open to it and are nice about it. So, thanks.
Thanks Tag,

No cop bashing here honestly he was doing his job and I was speeding. I admitted that to him as well. as far as the laser calibrations, up here in the north they do have to calibrate them before everytime they post up for one of their ''laser camapaigns'' (officer's exact words) I have had a ticket thrown out because he calibrated the laser gun after he clocked me.
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #17
sstphoenix

Drives: Black 2LT RS 5th gen
this is interesting info i never knew...
Question about our rights...

Are we entitled to ask for proof of the calibration?
The proof of speed of the radar?
What kind of proof do they provide?

I got stopped once going through an underpass, where a cop was on foot scanning people going downhill. They pulled me over at the next light, we were about 10 cars in line waiting for tickets. I asked to see the laser, cuz he scanned me going faster than i thought i was going, n the cop said they cant show me n wrote me a ticket anyway.
sstphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
Tom Hagen
Camaro5 SoCal Family

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebabe View Post
Hmmm, dunno what it's like in Canada (assuming since your location says montreal )... but you don't have to go to court here. I know in the past, I paid the ticket and did traffic school until I realized a much better way to handle it and get no points and not pay any money. I essentially ask for an extension from the court, get another month. Then I request a trial by written declaration, which gives you a little more time. Then I mail in my letter. And cops don't get paid to write letters. They get paid to go to court. SO... it's unlikely they will remember the details, or be bothered to write a letter, in which case your ticket gets dismissed and you get a refund of the ticket/bail amount
Nice! Will have to do that.
"I'm an attorney for the [SoCal Camaro5] family. These men are private detectives hired to protect [Tribone]. They are licensed to carry firearms. If you interfere you'll have to appear before a judge in the morning and show cause. " - Tom Hagen (The Godfather)
Tom Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstphoenix View Post

I got stopped once going through an underpass, where a cop was on foot scanning people going downhill. They pulled me over at the next light, we were about 10 cars in line waiting for tickets. I asked to see the laser, cuz he scanned me going faster than i thought i was going, n the cop said they cant show me n wrote me a ticket anyway.
They do not have to show you the laser as proof. What we are entitled to is receiving a full report of the officer's statement. On the report it should clearly indicate what happened, what cars were around you, how many people were in your vehicle and finally the date and time of calibration of the laser gun. Like I mentioned earlier if you got pulled over at let's say 20/10/2011@6:30pm and he calibrated the gun at 20/10/2011@7:00pm you will be acquited of the charges by default. This is why I contest any speeding ticket wether I am guilty of the infraction or not because a screw up on the officers part will automatically win you the case.
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
christcringle

Drives: 2010 2SS/2011 Pacecar/2011 LS/ZL1
Send a message via Skype™ to christcringle
Same thing for me I try to tell my point what happen but when the cop saw the dog on the back seat I lost my case
Attached Images

Member ¨'' Club Elite '' #99
christcringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #21
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blownSS View Post
Thanks Tag,

No cop bashing here honestly he was doing his job and I was speeding. I admitted that to him as well. as far as the laser calibrations, up here in the north they do have to calibrate them before everytime they post up for one of their ''laser camapaigns'' (officer's exact words) I have had a ticket thrown out because he calibrated the laser gun after he clocked me.

I don't run laser...never have. I do radar from time to time, but don't really like to write tickets. On the other hand, we don't calibrate our radar guns.

You might luck out and have the officer forget to make court...

Maybe he'll forget the ticket all together and send in that info to the prosecutors office...as soon as you show, it'll be dismissed.

It's possible you take it to the Judge. He might be in a good mood that day, maybe not. You would probably be better off with a trial by jury. People are people...and maybe they'd side with you.

But...one thing...

The less you give the officer to remember you by, the better. Just an observation... If you keep him out in the rain for 15 min talking about the citation, you can bet he's going to remember that. I hardly forget anything....because someone will always say something that sticks in my mind. Plus, I have to write my PC for the stop on teh back of the ticket. If the driver doesn't say anything...well, that's a LOT less to write. Just an fyi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstphoenix View Post

They don't have to show any readout on any radar gun. The officer might not have locked it. I can read my radar and watch it go up to 55 for someone in a 30. That's what they get the citation for. 55 in a 30. If you think about it, as a driver, you might not think you were going that fast. Usually, you hit the brake as you see him, look down, see a different speed, and think you were going slower (or thought you were going slower in the first place). The officer...being that he gains absolutely nothing from raising or lowering your actual speed on the ticket, writes what he sees on the radar. If it's not locked, there is nothing to show.

I will say one thing...

Officers can be wrong. Please don't let this thread get out of hand suddenly because I mention this.

From an officer about an officer...yes, I know they can be wrong...FLAT WRONG.

I was with my brother, wife, and her friend otw back from a concert. I saw the officer a 1/2 mile ahead with red and blues on a stop. I had the cruise set on 67mph in a 60 (since most officers don't stop for less than 9 over). As I got closer, I slowed down to 60 and he turned off his lights. I passed him. He pulled out turning on his lights pulling me over. I'm like....seriously....wtf. I get a ticket because he supposedly clocked me doing 86 in a 60. WTF?!?! I told him I saw him well ahead while he was on HIS traffic stop and I had the cruise on. He couldn't give a rats ass....then he wrote my brother for "allowing me to operate HIS truck in an unsafe manner." Yes, there are bad ones out there...I know it.

Let's just not forget that there are others who are "just doing their job."
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote