Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
usnatclee

Drives: '12 2SS/RS, '13 Vette, '13 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
The car itself isn't anything special? Handles great, brakes great, high 12s in the 1/4 stock, very well put together interior...all for 30k and change...you're right, it's nothing special
Well that particular mustang pictured (Boss302) is an amazing car. 445hp (with red key), 5 way adjustable shocks, recaro seats, short throw shifter, etc. The inside however needs some attention. It has nothing on the Camaro as far as creature comforts. It is not however 30k and change. Try 44950 MSRP.
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

2013 Corvette Torch Red LS3. 378rwhp/375rwtq SAE corrected, tuned.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!
usnatclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #30
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I like the new muscle car era.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #31
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Nice to see all three in one photo. I'm also a fan of many makes & models... as a car enthusiast and IMO the world of high-performance autos doesn't revolve on just only the Camaro but it is one of my top choices.

Everyone has their subjective opinion however I'm not one to continuously bash on any of these cars since each have their negatives. I'm proud yet humble to own 2 of 3 and they're both cool & appealing in their own ways.

The musclecar/ponycar era is indeed alive... I have first hand experience and it's fun as hell!

But since this is a Camaro forum (and IMHO one of the current best forum out there), here's another requisite cool Camaro pic!

Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #32
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
Went shopping with the wife today and had to stop and appreciate this beautiful scene. A brand new Boss 302, my SS and a SRT Callenger in the background.
Really cool.

Having those three specific colors on those three cars really makes the picture work.

Nice job.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #33
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
Nice to see all three in one photo. I'm also a fan of many makes & models... as a car enthusiast and IMO the world of high-performance autos doesn't revolve on just only the Camaro but it is one of my top choices.

Everyone has their subjective opinion however I'm not one to continuously bash on any of these cars since each have their negatives. I'm proud yet humble to own 2 of 3 and they're both cool & appealing in their own ways.

The musclecar/ponycar era is indeed alive... I have first hand experience and it's fun as hell!

But since this is a Camaro forum (and IMHO one of the current best forum out there), here's another requisite cool Camaro pic!

those are some NICE rides sir!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
Handles great? I think they handle like crap = a lot of understeer
I'd start with tire pressures. That basic chassis (MacStrut, stick axle) seems to benefit from having 3-4 psi more than sticker pressure up front and maybe a psi or two less in the rear.

The S197 chassis won't ever have the same "feel" as an IRS car, but it is easy to drive and easy to hold out near the limits and/or steer with the throttle. IOW, a lot like a stiff-chassis version of the 3rd gen Camaro, which is arguably considered the best of the stick axle F-bodies.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #35
Bobaloo
Member "O'l Farts"

Drives: 2012 SS Coupe/Automatic/Sunroof
My buddy, also 65, just picked up his Boss 302 last week after waiting almost 4 months for it. The dealership said it had to give-up delivery on a Shelby for his Boss 302. To my surprise his car has 2 keys for the ignition - one for normal driving and a other with a diferent chip in it for racing! Sounds serious! Being life long friends I knew he had to have 44 more HP than my SS but wether he can shift faster than my SS auto we'll have to see. It looks nice with the school bus yellow color but it still has a solid rear axle and nothing special but a big drive train for hot rodding. At our age we like to talk big more than act big....he he I still love the clean modern lines on my SS.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #36
Bobaloo
Member "O'l Farts"

Drives: 2012 SS Coupe/Automatic/Sunroof
On the other hand we might just take our two cars a to Great Lakes Drag Way, Union Grove, WI and see who blows who's doors off!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
Handles great? I think they handle like crap = a lot of understeer
Really? I've done a few HPDE in my 5.0 and I have never experienced any understeer, even when it was stock. The only thing I didn't like when it was stock was the amount of body roll the car exhibited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnatclee View Post
Well that particular mustang pictured (Boss302) is an amazing car. 445hp (with red key), 5 way adjustable shocks, recaro seats, short throw shifter, etc. The inside however needs some attention. It has nothing on the Camaro as far as creature comforts. It is not however 30k and change. Try 44950 MSRP.
The Boss wasn't made for creature comforts. I was talking about a regular Mustang, which still handles better than the pre FE4 suspension update SS Camaros. I don't think an FE4 has been tested against a GT yet, but I'm interested to see the results. Apparently, the little changes GM made have made quite a significant improvement according to the owners, at least when it comes to the seat of the pants feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaloo View Post
My buddy, also 65, just picked up his Boss 302 last week after waiting almost 4 months for it. The dealership said it had to give-up delivery on a Shelby for his Boss 302. To my surprise his car has 2 keys for the ignition - one for normal driving and a other with a diferent chip in it for racing! Sounds serious! Being life long friends I knew he had to have 44 more HP than my SS but wether he can shift faster than my SS auto we'll have to see. It looks nice with the school bus yellow color but it still has a solid rear axle and nothing special but a big drive train for hot rodding. At our age we like to talk big more than act big....he he I still love the clean modern lines on my SS.
It's a car made to be driven hard at the track, but not the drag strip as much a road course or auto cross. You'll be surprised at the track, they have gone deep in the low 12s@117mph stock. Unless you're modified, it will be a tough battle for you to win.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #38
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:

Those are some sweet stripes on the side of your 45th!
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #39
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
It may be better than the last 20 years, but nowhere near alive as it was in the 60s, 70s up to about the early 80s. By 1985 men began driving there wives hondas and toyotas trying to keep a straight face.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #40
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaloo View Post
Reviews show that the Boss will blow away the SS on the straight and corners. Need a ZL1 to lay waste to the Boss. Your auto is know match for his short throw shifter. He will easily dig in and pop it all the way through 3rd gear.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #41
shrinkdoc

Quote:

Yeh I like all the performance pony cars from From Ford Chevy and Dodge. Might go with a Boss 302 next once I see what the next body looks like.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #42
family man

Drives: .
Camaro SS = Mustang GT
Camaro 1LE = Boss 302
Camaro ZL1 = Shelby GT500

Comparing a Camaro SS to a Boss 302 is like comparing apples to oranges as they say.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote