Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
TASII

Drives: 14 1LT RS-15 Equinox1LT-11 Forester
Both the front and backs - While I agree the fronts fit ok with factory screws I did not like the metal clips they sent so I used 3M body tape instead. For the rears I think I will cut the plastic L bracket and apply 3M tape on both sides and use that to help hold the top in place. I do not want to drill any holes. I might also order the ZL1 rear splash guards. I have read that other forum members have had good things to say about them.
TASII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
brwk

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible - sold
Yup, what a pain in the A$$. Now I know why the others have a ridiculous price tag. You get what you pay for.
brwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
TASII

Exactly brwk. Though I still feel this item was overpriced. They are worth maybe 20 to 25 bucks in my opinion. Maybe worth 50 if they came with instructions and better hardware. I now know why their website does not show any up close images of their product. I wonder if something changed with this company as many others did not seem to have any complaints.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #18
Enduring

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
I was looking at these but decided against them because of the quality and the size. It looks like these don't protect a lot.

I bought Husky Liner mud guards instead and the backs installed and fit perfectly. No extra hardware and they used the 3 existing screws. They protect very well and were well worth the $100. The fronts were a little bit different and either require 3M tape (which I used) or screws into the wheel well (which they provide).
Enduring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
Other than not receiving one of the spacers for the rear I had no issues with my install or quality. I used the metal clip but intend to change out to 3M tape at some point. That would be the weak spot in the design for me. Oh, and they came with instructions. I like the fit and they have protected well....just my $0.02!
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
ProfessorRhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
TASII

Maybe mine were packaged on a Friday. lol.. either that or they put the wrong kit inside the box. (as far as the super long screws) I ended up cutting the plastic L bracket and applying 3M to both sides and stuck it behind the upper part of the rears. Now they feel snug. As long as they protect against rock chips and hold up at this point that is all that matters.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #21
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
The ZL-1 rear guards are great, have them on the rear, and RPI's on the front.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #22
Hypnos

Drives: 2014 AGM LT/RS
I too ditched the clear "L" things and just used the 3m tape as well, after I got them on I wished I would have plastidip them like you did. Mine didn't have scratches like yours but theyre just a little to glossy down there for my tastes. I also didn't trim the spacers or the screws and got it to work and didn't take the wheels off. it was a PITA but got them in eventually. some reason I like doing everything the hard way...

ps. Mine didn't come with any instructions whatsoever, and that L bracket wasn't a 90deg, more like a 7...completely useless in every way
Hypnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #23
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
Thanks for the write up. I had these on my 2011 1LS, and there was a gap where those L bracket things were supposed to go. I just installed a new set on my new 2015 1LE, and after reading this thread, just shortened the spacers in advance of the install. Everything fit flush like it did for you on the rears after shortening the spacers. I used the metal clips on the front, but wrapped the part that clips onto the fender in about 4 layers of electrical tape first to protect the paint a bit and prevent metal on metal contact.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #24
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
thank you for write up, I have a set for my '14 1lt and my package was also minus any instructions.
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #25
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
air Nailed it lol, final look is good though!

(joking)
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:01 AM   #26
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
You will like these even less when they shatter in a few months. I made my own fronts out of metal 2 years ago; no problems.
Attached Images

yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:48 AM   #27
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
You will like these even less when they shatter in a few months. I made my own fronts out of metal 2 years ago; no problems.
How did that happen? It looks like over torque to me.

I've had mine for 2 months or so with heavy snow and lots of driving. Nothing so far. Im genuinely curious and not trying to be condescending.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #28
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
No, just cheap brittle plastic. I had the screws down snug, with blue loctite to hold them in. The rears had the L-shaped brackets fail within 2 months; even though I used adhesion promotor before I stuck them down. They were flapping in the wind, so I removed them. I then decided to check the fronts, and when I touched them one fell apart; so I removed both of them.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote