Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #29
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
I'll agree with everything you posted except two things. Although Corona has been around for years, this strain is new, more invasive, and there is no cure right now.
Technically, there is no cure for any viral infection, except in rare cases where treatment with acyclovir-based medication is indicated.

It's not COVID-19 which is fatal, but the bacterial infection which sets in afterwards.

What might be available soon is a vaccine, but that obviously won't be of much use to those who are already infected.

Nota bene: if you have ever had a common cold, you had a viral infection from the Corona family. This is just a mutated strain from that family.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:31 PM   #30
Annatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Best thing you can do is jump into that hobby car and drive! We all have our "test routes" we take our vehicles on, why stop?
Because the bastards caught me driving 89 km/h in a 80 km/h zone with a mobile camera setup. And they move around all of the time. 40 bucks for nothing! I'm still smarting from that, because I didn't even speed on purpose.

Different parts of the world, different circumstances: where I live speeding is punished draconically. We can only go to a race track in one of the neighboring countries, as the country where I live has banned race tracks since many decades on the grounds of noise and emissions pollution. And driving a ZL1 within legal speed limits is a buddhist Zen monk exercise in self-control and patience, one I get to exercise almost daily.

Last edited by Annatar; 03-23-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #31
Annatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Stay away from people, relieve stress - go for a drive...less traffic, gas prices are down.
Brent is down to $25.6 and bound to go down even further. I predict in the $18 - $19 range per barrel, but if the situation continues, it could drop down all the way to $12 per barrel.

Meanwhile, enjoy cheap gas. I'm filling up every so often and it's been cheaper and cheaper every time.

It much reminds me of "Mad Max 2: the road warrior" with the way everywhere is a dead city anonymous and gas stations are completely devoid of cars.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #32
Annatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
To answer the OP of "what now?" I will loosely paraphrase Cubs legend Ernie Banks: It's a beautiful day for a CAR WASH, let's wash two!
Damn that's a nice Z/28. Someday when I grow up to be all big and strong and learn how to drive, I am going to get me one of those.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #33
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
Damn that's a nice Z/28. Someday when I grow up to be all big and strong and learn how to drive, I am going to get me one of those.
Thanks, however I absolutely refuse to grow up, not very large in stature, but I can be "strong" after a long day at work in 110 degree heat. I rank your ZL1 as one of my top "maybe some day" vehicles. The more I learn about them the stronger the desire. I agree with you fully on the amount of discipline it takes to remain within legal confines. I have considered keeping an attorney on retainer.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:08 AM   #34
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
As soon as the temperature rises a bit and the rain stops, I will flop that top and DRIVE!
Old 03-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #35
rmcbee

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Because the bastards caught me driving 89 km/h in a 80 km/h zone with a mobile camera setup. And they move around all of the time. 40 bucks for nothing! I'm still smarting from that, because I didn't even speed on purpose.

Different parts of the world, different circumstances: where I live speeding is punished draconically. We can only go to a race track in one of the neighboring countries, as the country where I live has banned race tracks since many decades on the grounds of noise and emissions pollution. And driving a ZL1 within legal speed limits is a buddhist Zen monk exercise in self-control and patience, one I get to exercise almost daily.
Knowing all that, why did you buy the car?
rmcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:38 AM   #36
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcbee View Post
Self-control and prudence is God given...but not to all. Not a slight on you Annatar.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #37
JB'sZL1

Quote:

If you have a lazy right foot and can't keep it off the skinny pedal, radar and laser detectors abound. And, are really nice right now as there is minimal traffic.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:51 AM   #38
Annatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcbee View Post
Technically, one is not allowed to speed in the United States either (for the sake of the question, we'll ignore the fact that cops will let one drive ten miles over before pursuing and ten over is really nothing for a ZL1), so the same question could be asked of anyone here.

I bought it because I studied it inside and out for six months and came to the conclusion that it's a high tech racing machine. As my professional field of work has turned into a political cesspool and the rest was destroyed by morons, my idea was to try and race with my ZL1 and get into semi-professional to professional racing. I did quite well racing on the world-famous racetracks like Hockenheim and even got my national C racing license after taking all the driving courses and the racing license test until I was sabotaged. That traumatized me so much that I'm still wrangling with it.

I bought my ZL1 to race on the race track, but also to enjoy long cruises across Europe.

Last edited by Annatar; 03-25-2020 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:55 AM   #39
Annatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
If you have a lazy right foot and can't keep it off the skinny pedal, radar and laser detectors abound.
The problem is, we know too little about the camera technology the cops use here. In the States, back in the '90's I had a radar detector (the "Phantom" brand), but that never really helped me.

And here, for all I know the frequencies might be different and as far as I'm aware there are no radar detectors for sale in Europe anyway. It is questionable whether one from the U.S. would work here. And those damn mobile cameras are placed so that one doesn't see them until it is too late, until one is at almost 10 - 15 meters away. They're usually behind some obstacle so if a laser is used, it is doubtful that a radar detector / scrambler would be of much use.
Quote:
And, are really nice right now as there is minimal traffic.
Yo, and because of that I went out for a drive yesterday afternoon: perfect weather, almost no one on the road. Had a nice drive, came all the way home, was turning into my street when all of a sudden some asshole with his FIAT 500 almost slammed into me. Had to cut the corner and got two deep scratches on the right rear wheel. That's just my luck.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:24 AM   #40
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I say just enjoy it the best you can. There's no logical reason for the love of motorized power. One genetic anomaly and I could have been a heroin addict or a serial killer.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #41
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
MI and most other states are on a complete lock down, put on another coat of wax. Now they are saying you can get this from gas pumps and anything else you touch. Wear gloves. Be safe.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #42
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar382 View Post
MI and most other states are on a complete lock down, put on another coat of wax. Now they are saying you can get this from gas pumps and anything else you touch. Wear gloves. Be safe.
Well, it's not just gas pumps. It can live on an object for hours...up to 2 days. So yes: keep distance, disinfect, don't touch face, wear gloves when necessary.