Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2015, 06:26 AM   #1
Motopsycho

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Almost had a ZL1....Grrrrr!!

As of late, I've been keeping my eyes open for used ZL1's with low miles. I've always wanted the ZL1, but they're pricey if you buy new. So I happened to find a 2012 ZL1 black w/black rims with less than 1000 miles for a very reasonable price. I contacted the dealer and told them that I wanted to look at it the next day. I arranged a time that I would be there, and everything was all set. I drove my 2010 2SS over 70 miles to this dealership where they had this ZL1. I wasn't sure what to expect because I had never looked at a ZL1 up close. Once I arrived, I met the salesman that I had contacted and he showed me the ZL1 that was in the showroom. OMG...it was GORGEOUS!! Completely flawless inside and out and the black paint with black rims is so badass! Anyhow, he asked if I wanted to take it for a test drive. I said yes, but just to hold off for a few minutes until my buddy arrived. So, my friend arrived just a few minutes later and also thought the same thing about the car, simply beautiful. My wife had noticed that the engine was still a little warm, but I didn't think anything of it. I figured they took the car out to put gas in it or whatever.

Anyhow, the salesman asked if I had any questions and I said no, let's just take it out for a spin. He says ok, walks away and returns 5 minutes later. He tells me that someone had showed an interest in the car only a few minute before I had arrived and that they were in negotiations about buying the car! WTF?! He told me to wait around for a bit to see what happens which I did, but I knew it was a done deal. So the guy ended up making a deal and buying the car after I had driven over 70 miles and had a schedule time to see and drive the car. The salesman said that they can't hold a car unless there's a deposit on it. Ugh...so pissed. I would have most certainly traded in my baby SS for that monster. It still stings after 4 days have passed. The whole ordeal just seemed odd to me though...why didn't the salesman contact me before I got there? Why was the car back in the showroom after it was clearly taken out for a test drive? Why didn't he say anything to me when I got there? Why did he even bother asking if I wanted to drive it?? Anyways, it's over and done, but I'm still pissed.

So now I'm on a quest for a ZL1. Hopefully I can find another one like that.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #2
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
bummer, guess it wasn't meant to be...things happen for a reason.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Most dealers the salesman have no idea a deal is in progress unless they can't find the keys when it is time to test drive. Normally whoever showed the car first and has a potential buyer keeps the keys on them or on the table while negotiations are in process.

At least it has been that way for me.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Just wait for a 6th gen. The interior in our cars are just super boring after seeing the 6th gen! You can boost the new one anyway
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
skidawgz

Drives: 2004 Mustang v6 w/m112
Sorry to hear that man! You will have a chance at another, I'm sure. My cousin drove 1.5 hours to test drive a used Stingray at an FL dealership. Someone purchased it that day, and Chevy dealers do not like to let you test drive their new Stingrays. So after arriving at the place they could not let him get into any of the new cars he wanted.

2004 Mustang v6 S/C
1995 BMW 318i
skidawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
LOL, My wife just drove almost 300 miles to look at a new vehicle that matched her specifications exactly. Talked to the salesperson the morning she left. Gets there and they can't find the car. Turns out it was sold two days previous, and no one logged it as sold for the sales personnel! That's why we usually just order what we want, sucks that it takes around 8 weeks.

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
skidawgz

Drives: 2004 Mustang v6 w/m112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Who told you that?

My salesman asked me three times to try a Corvette before I bought my Camaro.
I went to visit him when he moved for his new job. Both local dealerships stingy with the Stingray and basically said they do not test drive. Then, he drove to a huge dealership and same bit. When looking at a Camaro at one of the largest dealers near me, I asked if they allow Stingray tests. He replied, "We try not to, but if someone is really interested..." as if Stingrays are just to good to be tested.

The thing that really makes me salty is Porsche will throw you the keys to just about anything under 160k. We are both 32, and both fans of Porsche, but I refuse to buy a brand new one. He has test driven a couple, but I'm trying to convince him to go Stingray. I don't know if we are being turned down due to assumptions or just live near the lamest dealerships ever.

The dealership by me has a closed test track/loop and I've driven a $56k CTS <3 around it, but no Stingray. This makes test drives even safer for cars you don't want wrecked! They never have many Camaro SS either. Lame.

2004 Mustang v6 S/C
1995 BMW 318i
skidawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
what a bummer. but...... your SS still looks very nice.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #9
Motopsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWZ28 View Post
what a bummer. but...... your SS still looks very nice.
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #10
Motopsycho

I forgot to mention that I had found a 2013 ZL1 at another dealership that was closer to me than the first one I went to look at, but it didn't have the black rims. I decided to go that morning and look at it anyways.

Once I got there, I immediately noticed that this particular ZL1 wasn't in as good of shape as the other one. It had 2700 miles, black exterior with silver rims, but did not have the microfiber steering wheel and shift knob like the other. It also did not have the carbon fiber hood insert, just a shiny black insert. The tires were clearly worn and the console had a pretty good scuff in it. It just did not have the same appeal to me as the first one. At least now I know that all ZL1's are not created equal and I know what I want. I prefer the rounded tail lights over the newer rectangular ones, but I can live with that.

These things are a must though:
- Manual Trans.
- Microfiber trim interior (steering wheel, shift knob)
- Carbon Fiber hood insert

I also prefer either white or black exterior. Black rims would be nice, but I can live with the silver rims if the car is mint. I can always get black rims later.

I can always wait for the six generation to come out, but damn I just love the ZL1. When I sat in it, it felt so much better than my SS and my car is loaded with every available option for 2010 and in mint condition. I now have 8400 miles on her. I might just give her one last detail session (which for me spans over several days), and put her up for sale.

Oh and just as a side note....for those of you with an SS L99, do yourself a favor and get it tuned to turn off the Active Fuel Management (DoD). It's the best thing I ever did.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Keep looking. ZL1 deals are out there.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
That's unfortunate. Gotta jump on it as soon as you can when you find something of interest.

I'm actually shocked at how many low mile ZL1's are out there-- and it seems a majority of them have already had the piss beaten out of them. Is the ZL1 the new IROC?
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #13
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Sounds like you got turned into leverage...I bet they wrangled a few more bucks out of the other guy by telling him you were there to buy the car if he didn't.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
just chalk it up as it wasn't mean to be... you might score a newer one with better options later.

you can't blame the dealership. if you were selling a car, you can't hold a car when a new customer shows up and is interested. the buyer was probably worried when you showed up and hurried up to close the deal.

you should have scored a 20% off end of year ZL1. they were available.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote