Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Pewter

Drives: '10 ABM 2SS/RS M6
rear cradle woes

ok so heres my problem, i have a '10 ss m6. the car doesnt wheel hop at all with the full bmr rear suspension on it including diff bushings and upper control arm mounts. however after my recent cam install when i do a hard 2nd or 3rd gear pull the ass end wags back and forth so bad i practically have to get out of the throttle. im assuming this has to be the stock subframe bushings that i never replaced but i figured i would check here first to make sure im on the right track.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Stiffer rear cradle bushings will most certainly help keep the rear planted while accelerating, if that's what you're asking. I can recommend solid aluminum bushings by Pegasus - they make a huge difference.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
I agree
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
Pewter

just trying to be sure thats whats causing my problems, i cant think of what else it could be
Old 04-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I'm sure the added power has a lot to do with it. I'm sure cradle bushes will help....and maybe some sticky tires.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Cradle bushings will keep the subframe from unevenly moving, but the cause is likely your diff/limited slip. The truetrac made a big difference for me. The car just drifts when it breaks loose, rather than a back and forth steering affect.

Also the 1LE/ZL1 toe links keep the wheel hub in place fore/aft by replacing the rubber bushing with a spherical bushing. Cheaper/easiest to install.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #7
Pewter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Cradle bushings will keep the subframe from unevenly moving, but the cause is likely your diff/limited slip. The truetrac made a big difference for me. The car just drifts when it breaks loose, rather than a back and forth steering affect.

Also the 1LE/ZL1 toe links keep the wheel hub in place fore/aft by replacing the rubber bushing with a spherical bushing. Cheaper/easiest to install.
you kinda lost me, are you saying you think my truetrac is causing it?

i already have bmr toe links, trailing arms, upper control arm mounts, sway bars, diff bushings, 1le shocks and shock mounts
Old 04-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I am on stock power so I installed inserts before I did anything else.
Took all that wishy-washy out of the ass and were relatively easy to install.

With more power you may need poly or solid bushings.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Pewter

Do Pegasus bushings ever go on sale?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Pegasus bushings were awesome for my car, good price!
Old 04-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #11
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I don't have solid bushings, but if I had it to do over again I would probably go that direction. The reason is that it was a chore to get the poly bushings installed in the cradle. Much more difficult than I had imagined. I haven't heard the same issues with solids, so all things being equal I would go for the easier install.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
Pewter

I think the reason I never did subframe bushings was a combination of price, not wanting to mess with getting the old ones out, and honestly the rear end movement was never that bad. So getting the rubber bushings out isn’t that bad?
Old 04-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #13
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewter View Post
I think the reason I never did subframe bushings was a combination of price, not wanting to mess with getting the old ones out, and honestly the rear end movement was never that bad. So getting the rubber bushings out isn’t that bad?
They're not bad to get out using the ol' heat method (or whatever you want to call it). There is a video on YouTube (search for "camaro removing rear cradle bushings" or something).

Basically, you need to lower the rear cradle enough to fit a 1" wide socket above each bushing, place the socket on top of the bushing, centered, and jack up the cradle (using one jack to support the cradle at the differential and one to push up on the cradle near the bushing), and with the weight of the car on the socket/bushing (so lift the car off the jack stand that you'd probably have near the rear wheel) heat the cradle around the bushing with a torch. Eventually the bushing/glue will get hot enough to melt, and with the weight of the car on the bushing it will slide out. Send me a message if you want more details but that's the gist of it.

I'm pretty inexperienced in general with car/mechanical stuff and pretty much only went by videos and DIY guides and I managed to do it myself in the driveway, so you can do it too! Getting the new solid bushings in is super easy, just make sure to clean out the bushing holes (I used a knife while the glue was hot to scrape it out), and throw the new bushings in the freezer so they shrink. If they are being stubborn to get in, make sure to centre them in the hole really well then just jack up the cradle against the frame to push them in.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
Pewter

Thanks for the info, I had planned on using the socket method to get the old ones out.