Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
School Project Jeep

Our school's machine shop build a Jeep about 6 years ago and raffled it. They raised enough to buy a CNC machine. Next year I will be taking the class. Two classmates and I have presented the idea to do another.

He agreed to do it, but now we have a lot of planning to do.

I am just curious what route should be taken... Crawling/Race
or more Street/Offroad? I personally believe a street one would appeal to more people in turn selling more tickets. Last time they got a lot of stuff donated. This time we will shoot for the same. They got a 4.8 truck motor last time, hopefully we can get something of equal or better.
Any ideas?
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
Our school's machine shop build a Jeep about 6 years ago and raffled it. They raised enough to buy a CNC machine. Next year I will be taking the class. Two classmates and I have presented the idea to do another.

He agreed to do it, but now we have a lot of planning to do.

I am just curious what route should be taken... Crawling/Race
or more Street/Offroad? I personally believe a street one would appeal to more people in turn selling more tickets. Last time they got a lot of stuff donated. This time we will shoot for the same. They got a 4.8 truck motor last time, hopefully we can get something of equal or better.
Any ideas?
Street/offroad. Something that could do double duty as a daily and a weekend offroader. Broader appeal and easier to piece together.

I'd suggest a CJ7 and a fiberglass body, maybe as a kit. Order up an LSx harness and have the axles/4spd trans possibly sourced from a yard. Also aim for a 5.3 or maybe even an LQ4 6.0. They're a dime a dozen and would do a world of hurt on some trails!

Let us know when the raffle goes public because I'd be interested in forking some dough over to the program.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
shank0668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Street/offroad. Something that could do double duty as a daily and a weekend offroader. Broader appeal and easier to piece together.

I'd suggest a CJ7 and a fiberglass body, maybe as a kit. Order up an LSx harness and have the axles/4spd trans possibly sourced from a yard. Also aim for a 5.3 or maybe even an LQ4 6.0. They're a dime a dozen and would do a world of hurt on some trails!

Let us know when the raffle goes public because I'd be interested in forking some dough over to the program.
Yeah I think that is what I want to present to him as an idea.
We are still in preliminary stages. We would have to get this approved by the board. It would probably start next August.

I know I would prefer a 5.3 or 6.0. However, when I am not personally buying this, it may be a take what you can get situation. I was thinking 5.7 hemi

The last one I think they had done in about a year.

This was the last one.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
shank0668

We have a Jeep. Plan is to stretch it and go modern EFI motor.. We may have agreed on a Hemi.
Since we have to get this to pass the school board... We need to work on getting sponsors so when we present, we actually have proof that this will be possible. Last time they got a few really big sponsors. We will see what we can do this time.