Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
well. i failed. any way to salvage this?

yeah, i was washing my car, and there were all this white dots stuck on the paint. i tried to remove it with the green side of a sponge.

failed big time. so...

how do i fix this?

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps92976dfc.jpg

this stuff is all over my car.

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Seer

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
Uhh... youll need to have it compounded then finished over with a fine polish

What you did was "marr" the surface. You used something that was to abrasive to wash a car with, and you applied to much pressure.

I fix this all the time for cars that I detail. A good full detail should run you a bit over $500.
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Uhh... youll need to have it compounded then finished over with a fine polish

What you did was "marr" the surface. You used something that was to abrasive to wash a car with, and you applied to much pressure.

I fix this all the time for cars that I detail. A good full detail should run you a bit over $500.
500? that's with a new clearcoat, right?

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
No. You won't find a detail worth a damn charging much less to do paint correction.

If you use those $100 groupon deals, youll get more results like whats already in your clear coat.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
Lol no. Don't panic, his price is way off to fix this.

It needs to be compounded and polished as he mentioned. To fix that spot should cost you $50. A detailer should jump at the chance to fix that because he will make a customer for life.

If you want to go the DIY route, send me a message I can get you set up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Lol no. Don't panic, his price is way off to fix this.

It needs to be compounded and polished as he mentioned. To fix that spot should cost you $50. A detailer should jump at the chance to fix that because he will make a customer for life.

If you want to go the DIY route, send me a message I can get you set up.

My price wasn't for 1 spot, it was for the whole car.

I'm assuming he washed his entire car like that. No detailer in their right mind would correct a camaro for $50.

But yes, if he just wanted 1 spot in a 2'x2' area fixed, and no other services, $50 isn't bad. But then he'd have 1 perfect spot on his car and the rest in whatever condition it was in when it arrived.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
You need a proper machine paint correction. A HEAVY one! You basically wet sanded your car lol

This is going to cost you $600-900 depending on how much there is. Did you do this to the entire car?

You're not too far from me. I do a detail job once and a while on the side, I have no overhead so my prices are lower than what you'll likely find. I can definitely fix this for you. Feel free to send me a PM.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
My price wasn't for 1 spot, it was for the whole car.

I'm assuming he washed his entire car like that. No detailer in their right mind would correct a camaro for $50.

But yes, if he just wanted 1 spot in a 2'x2' area fixed, and no other services, $50 isn't bad. But then he'd have 1 perfect spot on his car and the rest in whatever condition it was in when it arrived.
You're right. I didn't see where he said he did the whole car like that. $500 is still on the upper end IMO. At least by my prices. Its still just a two step correction. It looks worse than it is.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
You need a proper machine paint correction. A HEAVY one! You basically wet sanded your car lol

This is going to cost you $600-900 depending on how much there is. Did you do this to the entire car?

You're not too far from me. I do a detail job once and a while on the side, I have no overhead so my prices are lower than what you'll likely find. I can definitely fix this for you. Feel free to send me a PM.
I think you'll be in good hands with this guy. I think you're undervaluing your services

When it comes to enthusiast cars, people have no problem paying to have them setup well. I've done details where I've charged $1500. Spot sanding, three stage polish, coatings, metal polishing, wheel coating, caliper coatings, you name it.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
No. You won't find a detail worth a damn charging much less to do paint correction.

If you use those $100 groupon deals, youll get more results like whats already in your clear coat.
I'd invite you to inspect any of my work to see if it's worth a damn. I don't rip people off and usually charge $350-400 for a two stage.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Seer

Quote:
I'd invite you to inspect any of my work to see if it's worth a damn. I don't rip people off and usually charge $350-400 for a two stage.

If you feel your work is just as good as those charging more, then you answered the question yourself. You should be charging more.

and I said above, you're undervaluing yourself.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
You're right. I didn't see where he said he did the whole car like that. $500 is still on the upper end IMO. At least by my prices. Its still just a two step correction. It looks worse than it is.

For a forum member I'd probably do around $300-400. Just depends on how much of the paint he hit with that thing. This is an easy job for a detailer. I'd rather fix this than heavily swirled 10 year old paint any day.

OP I can also take care of those white spots assuming its not some defect in the finish from the factory. I'll also throw in a free detail clinic. Something like this won't happen again and you'll leave knowing 100X more than you'd probably imagine.

Quote:
I think you'll be in good hands with this guy.
Thanks! This would be the easiest job I've done in recent memory.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
If you feel your work is just as good as those charging more, then you answered the question yourself. You should be charging more.

and I said above, you're undervaluing yourself.
No I'm not. I know how much work it takes and it sickens me how some will take advantage of the consumer. $500 is reasonable, but some of the prices I see people paying are absurd.

In any case, I don't do detailing as my job anymore, just a hobby and the occasional said job. So the point is moot.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
No I'm not. I know how much work it takes and it sickens me how some will take advantage of the consumer. $500 is reasonable, but some of the prices I see people paying are absurd.

In any case, I don't do detailing as my job anymore, just a hobby and the occasional said job. So the point is moot.

You gotta keep in mind that Seer and I are from the tri state area. EVERY THING is more expensive here, especially labor. In my general area for example a header install will likely run you $700 on average from a good shop. Considering the differences in regions you guys are basically the same on price.