Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Kscott46

Drives: 2010 Black SS2, RS, MT
Help with AAC Scanner light!

So I installed my scanner light from AAC today. Was pretty easy, I used a dremel to cut out the corners. I was able to mold the light a little by heating the center of the light, fits like a dream! The only problem is, IT TURNS ON BY ITS SELF!!! I was driving home and everyone suddenly moves out of my way, well the lights were on! I say "Oh sh$#"! Does anyone have the same problem? Could it be were I grounded it? I used one of the existing holes used for the metal plate on the facia, I had to scrape some paint off to make contact. When it turns on by its self, it wont respond to the remote. Help Guys! Thanks in advance!

Future Mods: PFADT Sways, SLP cat back, SLP X-pipe, SLP Headers, and Tune.
Kscott46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Do you have a multi-meter? You should check continuity between the point you're assuming is a ground and something you know for sure is ground. If you're ground is floating that could be why that's acting weird. Or you may have a controller that's malfunctioning. If you don't have a multi-meter you should pick one up at Radio Shack. They have cheapies that will at least be able to test voltage and continuity. Start with that.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Kscott46

Drives: 2010 Black SS2, RS, MT
When using the meter how can I tell if the ground is floating? If the voltage is low or high? Do I want it high on the ground wire? Thanks for the help!

Future Mods: PFADT Sways, SLP cat back, SLP X-pipe, SLP Headers, and Tune.
Kscott46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
You want to do a continuity check between the ground point you used and a known ground point. Usually there's a setting on a multi-meter for continuity testing. If there isn't and you can only check resistance and voltage then try the resistance setting. Between a known ground and the ground you used there should be a dead short or approximately 0.00 ohms. You'll probably get something like 0.02 or around that. If your meter just measures voltage then if you measure across your 12V source and the point you picked as ground then you should see approximately 12V. If it's drastically lower or if it changes frequently ramping up and down then you have a problem. It should be a steady voltage.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
This was happening to to me as well. Turned out the water proof seal/casing around the scanner got torn. Water had gotten inside of it and thats what was shorting out the circuit.