Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #29
Mungo

Drives: trans am
TFMM = T x F x M x M; T=Too F= Fricken M= Much M= Money. Hypothosis: Mass of wallet minus slippage of green from said wallet = very broke!!
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #30
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Brembo needs to work out (FIX) the current issue on the Camaro before I ever look at upgrading (which i doubt would ever be needed unless I go track racing)
Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #31
erasedgod
CGM 2SS/RS

Drives: # 9641
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolCamaro View Post
No weights on mine. Thank God.
Did they stop putting them on or did you just overlook them like everyone else who said they didn't have weights? Unless you personally took them off, I'm willing to bet you have them.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
HMMMM lets see... Purchase a Magnuson Supercharger or Replace my 4 piston Brembos with 6 piston Brembos
Old 06-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #33
novajess1972
I Done Caught Diabeetus.

Drives: 1972 Chevelle SS/2010 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
HMMMM lets see... Purchase a Magnuson Supercharger or Replace my 4 piston Brembos with 6 piston Brembos
NO BRAINER!!!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #34
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
There are only 2 reasons to change the stock Brembos; you are racing and need extreme braking performance repeatedly without fading, or you want to reduce weight which again usually means racing. There isn't anything you can be doing on the street that needs more than the stock Brembos.

I'll be looking at replacing the rotors with racingbrake.com 2-piece rotors for the savings in unsprung weight ONLY, not because the stock brakes aren't good enough brakes. I can get all 4 rotors for about $1200 and that will save about 9 lbs of weight per wheel.
Great idea. If I were doing this upgrade i'd add the steel braided lines as well cause they look cool, they help a little, you're already down there anyway, and they are cheap. But this is the extent even the most heavily modified Camaros would ever need anywhere but full out wheel to wheel road course racing.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #35
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Great idea. If I were doing this upgrade i'd add the steel braided lines as well cause they look cool, they help a little, you're already down there anyway, and they are cheap. But this is the extent even the most heavily modified Camaros would ever need anywhere but full out wheel to wheel road course racing.
Totally agree and I will in fact be upgrading to steel braided lines. I did this to my old 69 Camaro way back when and it was a noticeable improvement in braking feel.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #36
CarNutzCustomz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Latest news from Brembo and Race Technologies...

The new Camaro "caliper only" upgrades are ready! You can order them with red or yellow or silver or black calipers at no extra charge. The upgrades fit the Camaro SS.

These are 6-piston Monoblock front calipers and 4-piston Monoblock rear calipers to be used with the stock brake discs. The calipers come with the Ferodo FM1000 high performance brake pads and we also include Goodridge stainless steel brake lines and caliper mounting hardware.

These upgrades are a great low cost alternative to the full Brembo GT systems using the same Monoblock calipers and pads.

Retail for the front system is only $1995.
Retail for the rear system is only $1795.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #37
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Getting closer...

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #38
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Getting closer...
to a photograph......
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #39
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
On a reasonable price for a reasonable kit.

shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #40
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
I must say, if I had the scratch to get the whole system, I absolutely would. First it does offer SOME performance advantage however slight it may be and it looks cool. Before the flame throwers come out.....

Answer me this....
How does replacing a perfectly good fuel cap enhance the performance of the fuel going in (or out for that matter)?
What performance gains are made by adding the "high mount wing"?
How much do the 21" wheels from GM reduce the 0-60 times?

of course these brakes don't make sense to some people. The upgrades mentioned above don't make sense to others either. For crying out loud Hylton only put on half his body kit. I don't think anyone is saying the stock Brembos are worthless, and you are better off releasing an anchor out the back. I think this is an upgrade that looks really cool and it makes the car look fast.

Personally, I would swap the rotors with drilled, then get the lines and pads others have spoken of. The drilled rotors again won't add a lot, if any performance gain, however, I think they look awesome. Does Brembo make the stock rotor? If so, I would consider keeping them, if not, they are gone.

Sorry not trying to be a jerk....

Last edited by Shifty 6; 07-21-2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: to be as nice as possible
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #41
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
I must say, if I had the scratch to get the whole system, I absolutely would. First it does offer SOME performance advantage however slight it may be and it looks cool. Before the flame throwers come out.....

Answer me this....
How does replacing a perfectly good fuel cap enhance the performance of the fuel going in (or out for that matter)?
What performance gains are made by adding the "high mount wing"?
How much do the 21" wheels from GM reduce the 0-60 times?

of course these brakes don't make sense to some people. The upgrades mentioned above don't make sense to others either. For crying out loud Hylton only put on half his body kit. I don't think anyone is saying the stock Brembos are worthless, and you are better off releasing an anchor out the back. I think this is an upgrade that looks really cool and it makes the car look fast.

Personally, I would swap the rotors with drilled, then get the lines and pads others have spoken of. The drilled rotors again won't add a lot, if any performance gain, however, I think they look awesome. Does Brembo make the stock rotor? If so, I would consider keeping them, if not, they are gone.

Sorry not trying to be a jerk....
I'll take a shot at some of your questions.

1. Fuel cap...don't know

2. Wing... A wing is used for 2 things; downforce on the back of the car at high speed for traction, and on turns (usually banked) stability of the back end as well as traction. It increases drag in the process however so it's a trade-off of loss of straight-line speed versus faster speeds and stability in high speed turns. On the street it's purely for looks.

3. 21" wheels... any wheel that increases the weight above the stock wheel weight will reduce your 0-60 times. How much depends on the weight increase. Wheels fall into the category of "unsprung weight" which is any weight that is not being carried by the car's springs. Rims, tires, brakes fall into this category. The ratio of effect for unsprung to sprung weight is 1-20 meaning 1 lb of unsprung weight has the effect of 20 lbs of sprung weight. This is assumed to be a 4 corner effect so a 1 lb change would be assumed to be on all 4 corners of the car. You don't change the weight on just one corner in otherwords.

If you go with larger rims that add let's say only 5 lbs of weight; 37 lbs instead of the stock 32, the effect is 5 x 20 = 100 lbs. Adding 5 lbs of unsprung weight has the same effect as adding 100 lbs of sprung weight. Bigger rims require bigger tires which are heavier too. So add 3 lbs for heavier tires and now you're at 8 x 20 = 160 lbs. It's like permanently adding a passenger to the car. Can you tell the difference in performance when you have passengers in the car? That will give you an idea of what the weight penalty is for adding unsprung weight.

It works the opposite direction too; reducing unsprung weight... for every 1 lb of weight you save, it's like removing 20 lbs of sprung weight. So think twice about what you really want out of your car if performance is desired before you "upgrade" to those big heavy rims so you can look "badass".

4. Brakes... drilled rotors will go through brake pads faster; they work like cheese graters. It may "look cool" but the reason for drilling is to help lose the heat faster at the track and also a slight reduction in unsprung weight. The increased wear on pads also means more brake dust on your rims more often than normal. I hate "dirty" looking front rims and I hate cleaning off brake dust. But that's just me.

Slotted would be better for street; you'd get the cooling benefits without the extra wear on the pads that drilled causes. Keep in mind though that you'll have to be doing a lot of hard braking in a short amount of time for there to be any real benefits. It does look however in the early reports, that braking IS going to be an issue that needs attention on these cars for those who race, even casually. These cars are heavy and brake fade, boiling fluid and heat issues are going to require mods for certain it looks like if you plan on racing.

If you just want to "look cool" and you have wads of cash falling out of your pockets by all means upgrade; better brakes are never a bad idea. If you're on a budget and aren't racing, there are other things you can spend your upgrade money on.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #42
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Anyone got a number for how much brake fluid is in the system?

2 pc rotors will help you avoid weight gain when going to a larger diameter rotor.

- SK
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote