Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
Camaro85

Drives: 2015 SS
Removing scratches ?

Has anyone paid to get scratches removed ? Thought of doing someone like this, but not sure if it really works.
Attached Images

Camaro85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:37 AM   #2
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
What is it?
A glaze?
Magic?
A scam?
Old 04-28-2016, 04:20 AM   #3
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
The "it only takes minutes" is a red flag for me.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #4
Mr V

Drives: 2011 VR SS Vert
Search for junkman's videos on YouTube. He has a series on how to remove scratches by machine polishing. Adams also have videos on their site.
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
I vote scam, I was a professional detailer and the ONLY way to REMOVE swirls and LIGHT scratches is by abrading the paint (with a compound or polish) down to a level below the defects. Anything else is just temporarily filling or hiding the scratches with a glaze-like product. Odds are they use a high speed buffer in their "Sonic" repair which in the hands of someone who is not HIGHLY experienced & trained in its use will create more issues than it solves.

If you want a professional correction done on your car, go to www.autogeekonline.net go to the Forums and find a reputable detailer in your area.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Instead of paying $150 for this service, just add $20 and get this kit while it's on sale.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/griot...l#.VyJ7tLvmrIU

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:51 AM   #7
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Instead of paying $150 for this service, just add $20 and get this kit while it's on sale.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/griot...l#.VyJ7tLvmrIU

Not a bad idea, or a bad deal.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
I've tried a lot of stuff over the years and the best I've found is 3M Restore-it II. I think it's now at III. It would work with that Meguiares tool or for smaller ones by hand.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Buyer Beware imho
Wow Rustproofing offered too. Raises a RedFlag here. I remember the Snake Oil Salesmen and Scams from the early 80s when bought my new 3rd Gen Dumb young guy at the time fell for it Hook Line and Sinker after high pressure tactics.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #10
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I vote scam, I was a professional detailer and the ONLY way to REMOVE swirls and LIGHT scratches is by abrading the paint (with a compound or polish) down to a level below the defects. Anything else is just temporarily filling or hiding the scratches with a glaze-like product. Odds are they use a high speed buffer in their "Sonic" repair which in the hands of someone who is not HIGHLY experienced & trained in its use will create more issues than it solves.

If you want a professional correction done on your car, go to www.autogeekonline.net go to the Forums and find a reputable detailer in your area.
Deltasonic is a local car wash chain here in Rochester and surrounding area . At select stores they have detail shops . This is what the op is asking about . I've never used that service so I have no idea how well they do .
Old 05-10-2016, 04:13 AM   #11
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Deltasonic is a local car wash chain here in Rochester and surrounding area . At select stores they have detail shops . This is what the op is asking about . I've never used that service so I have no idea how well they do .

I understand what the OP is asking and I'm just trying to save him money and grief. I looked over their site and $399.99 is awful cheap for everything they promise to do, and I suppose they plan to do this all in one day? Hell, it takes me about 12 hours to do a paint correction, wax/seal and interior/glass on my Camaro, and it's already nearly scratch and swirl free. And that's without all the little "extras" they promise.

At the shop I learned in, it took TWO of us (when fully trained) two full days to do what Delta Sonic refers to as an "Ultimate Detail."

Delta Sonic looks to be a "One Stop Shop" for things automotive, I wonder if the guys who do the oil changes are also the ones who detail the cars?

IMO, their ad on the site leaves too much unanswered, What Products, What style polishers are used? (I know they said 'orbital' but you can buy an 'orbital' from Wally World that's only good for spreading liquid wax, it CANNOT correct paint defects). What training have the detailers had & how experienced are they at defect removal without damaging the paint further?

Just a few questions that I would ask before giving them my WIFE'S SUV to work on. Nobody but me touches my car - though there are a select few I will let help

For all I know though, it MAY be a decent shop, but I've seen way too many hacks with rotaries or under-powered "wax spreaders" calling themselves "Detailers."
Old 05-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #12
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I had enough of Delta Sonic 2 years ago on my DD cars.