Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
TURNY!!!! Thunderhill WEST 2 mile ZL1

This turned out to be an amazing track. I was leery of going because it is known as a no-passing, small car track that really was designed with superbikes in mind. I ended up going because I needed to test a new set of brake pads and I thought it would be a good venue for that with two major hair-pins. I didn't PDR any sessions until the final (mistake with wrong SD card) so the tires were greasy as underwear after Mexican food. Therefore I am short-shifting everywhere to avoid spins which gives away the only advantage this car has on this track (straights).

You'll need to fast forward as we got black flagged after the first lap and I have yet to edit the video. But you can see some of the company we were with at the start. Took me nearly the whole session to catch back up to the front-runners after the stupid near-spin but I think the Camaro hung pretty well with the GT2's, 3's, and Caymans and small exotics. Momentum rules here. There were S2000's and Spec Miatas eating up Mustang GT's, GTR's and Z28's in this Advanced Expert class. I wish I got it on video. Two white Z/28's showed up and were running pretty good but were fighting spins through the day. For the morning race, I qualified 5th behind a 911 GT 2, M4, and C7 Z06 and either a GT4 or GTR (can't remember) with 21 cars total. I was thrilled given I had not seen the track before qualifying. Excuse the language when I missed my apex and also the goofy-assed jetter pilot groan trying to hold 1.3 lateral at 11:20 mark.

Give this track variation a try if you ever have the chance. It is so much better than the word on the street. Admittedly this is much more true when it is open passing as it makes for some hairy 12" wheel to wheel passes in corners. I'm trying to post every track I run this year in hopes we can get more guys to put videos up. Hope you enjoy. Please subscribe if you do so I can get better hosting options down the road. Thanks!

Last edited by OminouSS; 05-07-2017 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Still trying to embed video
OminouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Nice laps. I love that little track, it's busy but a lot of fun. SpeedSf is a great group to run with and I like the SpeedSF Challenge TT.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
OminouSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
Nice laps. I love that little track, it's busy but a lot of fun. SpeedSf is a great group to run with and I like the SpeedSF Challenge TT.
agreed. Awesome group. I am trying my damndest to try to fit some federal tires on my car. Winner of the race gets a set! 2nd gets a pair. BOMBDIGGITY!
Old 05-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
JRL1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
agreed. Awesome group. I am trying my damndest to try to fit some federal tires on my car. Winner of the race gets a set! 2nd gets a pair. BOMBDIGGITY!
I think they need to make some bigger sizes for our beasts!

Here is my SpeedSF Challenge from that track in March, best was 2nd lap 1.23.8

Old 05-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
OminouSS

Dude, I used your video as a preview before I went!!! It's the only way I could get out there in the first session and push it for qualifying. I had no freaking idea where the hell it went at turn 7W and 1W before finding your youtube! I'll post my times to the session I video'd. With the late afternoon heat and wasted tires, I was stuck in proverbial 1:26 second land. At least I'm consistent
You still bested me by a second though as my PB was in the mid 24's when the tires were fresh. Really good driving, bud. I think a 1:23 would have been good for an overall win on the day in all classes unless you were running TW -200. I got docked for Cup2's that were total garbage with 10 heat cycles so I came in and threw them in the recycle bin. Super Sports would have been a zero mod and I would have done better on them anyway. My fault. Anyway, I really appreciate how our big 'ol Camaros hang at this track. 3 Mile they are serious contenders. We need to find an event to run together.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
JRL1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Dude, I used your video as a preview before I went!!! It's the only way I could get out there in the first session and push it for qualifying. I had no freaking idea where the hell it went at turn 7W and 1W before finding your youtube! I'll post my times to the session I video'd. With the late afternoon heat and wasted tires, I was stuck in proverbial 1:26 second land. At least I'm consistent
You still bested me by a second though as my PB was in the mid 24's when the tires were fresh. Really good driving, bud. I think a 1:23 would have been good for an overall win on the day in all classes unless you were running TW -200. I got docked for Cup2's that were total garbage with 10 heat cycles so I came in and threw them in the recycle bin. Super Sports would have been a zero mod and I would have done better on them anyway. My fault. Anyway, I really appreciate how our big 'ol Camaros hang at this track. 3 Mile they are serious contenders. We need to find an event to run together.

[IMG][/IMG]
Sweet! Great job first time out there. I was on the OEM Goodyears which are surprisingly good.
I look forward to getting together, Speedsf will be on the 3 Mile in July You'll kick some butt on the big track

Tags
race, road course, track, zl1 camaro