Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
close call/s thread

Hey guys, reading the "so i was doing a massive burnout" thread and was entertained by the near misses with the law. I thought, why not have a fun thread dedicated to such stories. I don't of course mean hell raising putting others in danger type but sort of the typical stuff...I will start.

One day this fall shortly before putting away the car for winter I wanted to walk on it a bit. I followed a small line of traffic up the on-ramp and then merged into traffic as normal (where I live traffic is very light on highway most of time). I then drop a gear, signal left hand passing lane and hit the fun pedal. Head snapped back and I put it into 4th, clear road ahead so I stay into it...see speedo tells me 160 (kmh) and shift to 5th as my fun must end so as to not get a "stunting" charge. The minute I do this I see cheeries light up in the opposite freeway direction - lucky for me there is no close way for the law to get on my side of road in this area so i beat it for my next exit and then cruise home on the back roads.

I won't lie, it was a bit exhilarating - felt like the Dukes boys except I didnt jump any bridges

Before anyone jumps on me or this thread relating to public safety again recall I did this on highway, clear highway in fact. Also, you can barely get to your shift points in 2nd before you are speeding in the city. So, I dont want to hear anyone say "i never speed"

Thanks guys,
B
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
LOL good idea for a thread.... Heres what I posted in the other thread...

I had a near miss this year after I reloaded my Custom tune & decided the car needed to be "tested" out. I was laying into it pretty good on the highway and then I realize an unmarked car has been following in my drivers side blind spot for I'm not sure how long. I slowed down of course and I suspect my clean driving record & maybe my age made him not bother me any further..... I should have bought a lottery ticket after that.

About 3 years ago I was going to my RC flying field on a Sunday afternoon. Beautiful day, sunroof open and tunes cranked. I come up on a POS Prius or something other and want to pass him. I see a car coming at me not very far away but hey the mighty SS can snap out & snap back in, in a heartbeat right?

Well that car coming turned out to be a cop and as soon as I punched it full throttle on came the lights. So I shamefully pulled over and accepted my fate. The guy was great and said he wasn't allowed to issue any warnings and gave me a $65 ticket for "not obeying a sign"Whatever that meant ha.... I thanked him and was on my way. No way I was disputing that wee ticket LOL.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
yzinger

yup, no sense in disputing that ticket.

Its a tough spot to be in for LEO sometimes. One of our local LEO this year bought a new Mustang GT - you know he has had that over the limit on many occasions.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzinger View Post
yup, no sense in disputing that ticket.

Its a tough spot to be in for LEO sometimes. One of our local LEO this year bought a new Mustang GT - you know he has had that over the limit on many occasions.
So it’ll be speeding around in between visits to the dealer?
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
yzinger

hahahaha, love it Royal Tiger!
Old 12-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
ColdfuzionTN

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
In b4 they're sold out lol!

https://cleetusmcfarland.com/product...stmas-sweater/
ColdfuzionTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Ha or they will have to drive under 50 or over 70 due to the driveline vibes the Stangs mostly all have... I've been reading a lot about this one on the anti-Camaro forum....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
My most recent near miss story happened about a year ago when I was driving my previous toy through town early one Sunday morning.

I was taking the scenic route to the local donut shop and had just turned left from a traffic light and entered a long straightaway with nothing but empty streets and green lights.

I had 4.08 gears in the ass end and a 6 speed paddle shift, so she liked to get going quickly. I burned first, screeched 2nd and chirped 3rd, when a cop passed me in the opposite direction as I was easily rolling 60 in a 40.

My blood ran cold as I looked in my review and saw him whip around (lights off) at his next traffic light.

I didn't want to pull over in the middle of the street, so I turned into a hardware store and waited...and waited...and waited. I looked around and realized the parking lot was surrounded by high bushes, so I was hidden from sight.

I ran her home, closed the garage, then went about my day. Later, me and the missus were chillin' by the pool enjoying tunes and adult beverages. I walked through the gate and into my driveway and guess what was parked on the street. Yep, it was him!

He stared at me for a few seconds, then drove away slowly. I raised my drink to cheer him a great day, then returned to the pool at which time my wife says, "Why was a cop at the end of our driveway?" I dunno...
Old 12-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
yzinger

hahaha, thats an awesome story. Remind me of back in the day pulling into some strangers driveway and turning out the lights as fast as you could.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Is that for regular issues or body damage from Cars & Coffee?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
May or may not have put the screws to a late model LS4 Monte Carlo....... that quickly turned into the police station that i pass daily. I see it there everyday now.
Was minding my own biz, cruising and this white Monte comes flying up beside me right b4 a merge point..... fly by shot down. He then started aggresively tailgating which i cannot stand. Punched it. Right as I let off top of 3rd he turns left into the precinct. My heart sank. I work down the street. God was merciful on my dumb ass that day.

Another almost unbelievable story, had a new accord sport pacing me on an early morning hwy commute. Was about 6am on a Saturday so no traffic and I live in the sticks anyways so i thought why not play a lil. So we play a lil cat and mouse nothing too super speederish but definetly a few 2nd and 3rd gear pulls. This went on for about 10 miles. Just effing around. I exit the hwy, he follows. At the traffic light at the bottom of the ramp he pulls up beside me and rolls down his window. On his shoulder a big gold star......... sheriff dept. uniform.****! Caught off guard i simply say "late to work huh?" He chuckled and said "yep you too", he turned right, i turned left and tried to calm my heart rate b4 going in the shop. I should've played they lottery immediately! Im guessing me not instigating either encounter allowed the Leo's to show a lil mercy. Plus they both had their own hot shoe. I dated a Leo b4 i got married, she also drove like a maniac. Definitely some lenient ones out there if you don't behave tooooo foolishly
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
yzinger

hahaha, he trolled you on the highway.

He cast, and you bit my son.

2nd story...that is almost unbelievealbe...but, he was pacing you so....
Old 12-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
I know i felt really juvenile for that one. I could not believe that second one though. Talk about an ass puckering moment! Lesson learned.
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
Mattzkatz

Drives: Not yet, but soon
Not in a Camaro, but close call nonetheless...was headed to the lake last summer with the wife and kids and got behind an expedition with blacked out windows/no signs of suspicion (didn't pay attention to the plate which is unusual for me)...anyhow, said SUV was on a typical IN flat, straight for as far as the eye can see without traffic kinda road and was running 55mph on the dot (should've been the tale tale sign...nope, not for this GENIUS). So after about 15 seconds of doing 55mph in a 55mph (WHO WOULD EVER DO THAT ?!?!? LOL) I slide over to verify no traffic and go ahead on my way around this bozo.

I didn't even make it to the driver window and he had his lights on hahahahah (FAIL). Of course, my wife immediately lets me know her opinion on the situation. Luckily, my (3yr old at the time) was easily provoked by the power of suggestion and as I was rolling my window down he was screaming "I gotta go daddy, I gotta go". As I'm getting my window fully down and the officer was standing there, I conviently said "just a minute honey, this fine officer needs to speak to daddy for a second".

Ended up with a warning, mad wife and great day at the lake with a funny story to tell.
Mattzkatz is offline   Reply With Quote