Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #253
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
If a Z/28 is under $50k and 500hp SAE rated @ the crank and can beat a Boss 302 lap time, I'd buy one (provided the dealers don't price gouge...)

LS7 would be a dream come true, but I think the engineers can tweak the LS376/480 enough for a Z/28 to outperform a Boss 302.

I would love to see push button start, fine with manual adjustable seats as long as the seats are comfortable (for an average size American male).
No RS option...

I'll add more as I think of it...
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #254
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bada View Post
Here you go guys. Do this with the z/28 body.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #255
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
So, it seems that we're really stuck on the LS7.

Let me throw this out there. Does anyone think that such a Camaro will generate enough lateral g to warrant the LS7s dry sump oil system? The dry sump adds cost and weight you know.
Its not really the dry sump we want, its mostly comes down to that fact that we have no other certified engines at the moment. The LS3 does not rev high enough for what we want and we do not really want a turbo or supercharger, so there goes a possible twin turbo V6 and the LSA and LS9. So since the is really no other engine in use we are left with the LS7, or left crossing our fingers that GM drops the new GenV V8 in the Z28 at the same time as the Vette.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #256
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
If they built the LS7 with the LSX block & LSX-DR heads. And put it in the Z/28. I would be a buyer,and I am 61 years old. I have a street rod with the LS7 now. And love it. But the LS7 block/heads are to weak to put NOS on it safely. So give me the LSX stuff, and then I will put a bottle or turbo on it myself. Like I said GM BUILD ONE FINAL BAD ASS Z/28. THAT KICKS ALL THE FORDS AND DODGES ASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of you want a drag car, get a ZL1.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #257
bada

Drives: 1932 pro street truck ZO6 LS7 power
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Of you want a drag car, get a ZL1.
To heavy!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus my truck is not a full on drag vehicle. I get 20MPG, hit the interstate at 70MPH, and can sit in 3 hour bumper to bumper traffic. I want the LSX block & the LSX-Dr heads. With the LS7 CI.
bada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #258
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
To heavy!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus my truck is not a full on drag vehicle. I get 20MPG, hit the interstate at 70MPH, and can sit in 3 hour bumper to bumper traffic. I want the LSX block & the LSX-Dr heads. With the LS7 CI.
Z28 = Track Car
LSX = Nose Heavy

Not the right direction.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #259
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Anyone know what happened to The Pill?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #260
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I think he crossed the "line".
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #261
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Oh, that makes sense, because he was everywhere for a while, and then nuthin'.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #262
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
I think he crossed the "line".
Quote:
Oh, that makes sense, because he was everywhere for a while, and then nuthin'.
His account is suspended, I don't know for how long.

More less told a mod he was just here to stir the pot.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #263
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
A few cudos...and clarifications:

1) Number 3 is a valued member of this forum, not only for his "insight" from an OEM perspective but also, for his automotive engineering knowledge. He "tempers" our "boyz who dream" exuberance and passion with an occasional dose of reality...and reels us back to "what actually might be" territory. NEVER a bad thing, NOT a roadblock, NOT a killjoy...and certainly he's NOT of "beancounter cloth", although at some point the "beancounter$" WILL play their roll. A roll Number 3 is unfortunately familiar with... I think this is where the "respect" icon is inserted...

2) Z4E, for those of you not aware, moderates the CAMARO sub-forum at gminsidenews.com He's passionate. He's in contact, obviously, with all and sundry kinds of folks...some of whom even work for GM. As some have rightly mentioned, here, NO ONE on the "inside" DARE "spill the beans", in totality or perhaps even in an off-handed way. Doesn't mean "hints" of things that may come to pass are not/won't be present...and it certainly doesn't mean those within GM aren't above a lil "teasing"... After all, those folks put their pants on, one leg at a time, too.

3) My personal keen interest in seeing a Zee with an LS7 is based on personal experience, both street AND road course, with TT'd LS-series engines AND the LS7. And I'm here to tell ya, bang for the buck, gimme the LS7...ANY DAY... As I mentioned earlier, this sort of "concept" is far from new, or even recent. Goes back months 'n months...and there ARE GM folks chompin' at the bit to see a sensible, profitable version of this car come to market...long before the announcement of the BOSS. The BOSS simply (?!) makes the "discussions" more poignant...

And to mitigate "packaging issues" with regard to drysump, GM through GM PP has already created a wetsump LS7 kit...it was featured a few months ago in Hot Rod Magazine...will therefore crash-test like an LS3 (but you still have to "prove" that)...which means no sump tank hung out the front, or anywhere else. Will a wetsump LS7 live? Pete has the answer to that. I doubt he's popped any LS3s from oil starvation...

And for another co-operative venture NOT approved for production, take a gander at this from Thomson Automotive, a company somewhat familiar to GM Powertrain personnel and GM PP peeps:

http://www.thomsonautomotive.com/?page=ultimate_ls7.cfm

Something to consider, when YOU get YOUR Z/28...

And yes, that was a "tease"...too...kinda...

4) My mention of Akerson's quote regarding "special engines for sport(y) cars", even if NOT "accurate", certainly HINTS at "mass usage of existing components"...which builds a better "business case"...and builds it more quickly, with broader consensus...

5) Number 3's "observation" of "streamined production": TAKE NOTE! This car will not be all things to all people. Hell, I don't want no "*****" Zees in Panther Pink with fuzzy seats and illuminated make-up mirrors.

A few colors...a very few options...batch-built...weight-restricted...aero-correct with ZL1 splitter/spoiler...maybe the Heritage Grille for this obviously "heritage" car, as its primary differentiator, appearance-wise, since a crash-test is necessary anyway...

Now...someone start a THREAD on EVERY CAMARO SITE EXTANT...kinda like that luckless "El Camino" deal a few weeks back...soliciting GENUINE ORDER INTENT...

...and THEN send all results/feedback to someone as far up the foodchain in the RenCen as you can reach...

...and I'll raise MY HAND NOW!

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 06-08-2011 at 02:23 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #264
bada

Drives: 1932 pro street truck ZO6 LS7 power
The only reason I am so interested in the LSX block. Is that the LS7 block is to weak to support NOS, turbos or superchargers safely. Plus the LS7 heads have a weak link also, the exhaust valves. And the LS7 rods are also a weak link. Dont get me wrong I love my LS7 motor. I would just like the cubes of the LS7 with a stronger block,heads, rods, & exhaust valves.
bada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #265
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Then buy the ZL1...

Did you read what Thomson could do to your LS7? Spray, aside...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #266
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
Well, for one thing, the LS7 won't be around for much longer. At the end of the day, I really don't see an alternative to a slightly hotter version of the LS3.

We'll see a potentially more powerful DI Gen V in the C7 in about two years, but I'd doubt that GM would spend the money to certify that for the current Camaro, right at the end of it's lifespan.
This is the dilemma I see with the Z. It can't compete with the boss with the current LS3, and upgrading it to the level it needs to be at brings CAFE and emissions problems along with it.

Using the LS7 solves the power problem, but brings money problems. If you were to build a Z/28 with the LS7 and the upgraded drive-train components, plus the brakes. Then add in an upgraded suspension and wheels/tires, you're talking serious money. This car would have and engine that's more expensive than the one that's going the ZL1. Just deleting some comfort and convenience items and the magnetic shocks isn't going to knock 10 grand off the price, so it couldn't compete with the Boss on price with this setup.

It seems the choice is to compete the Boss on price OR performance, but I don't think both are possible.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro