Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 08-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #15
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
I might be wrong, but my read of the regulations is:
You may purchase and bring any Federal compliant USED vehicle into CA and register it provided it passes equipment and emissions tests.

Only NEW vehicle purchases must be CARB Compliant, unless you qualify for one of the exemptions for replacing a damaged or lost vehicle.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #16
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
I might be wrong, but my read of the regulations is:
You may purchase and bring any Federal compliant USED vehicle into CA and register it provided it passes equipment and emissions tests.

Only NEW vehicle purchases must be CARB Compliant, unless you qualify for one of the exemptions for replacing a damaged or lost vehicle.
That's true. I've done that before myself. I forgot that waiver. Just can't be "too new-ish".

"Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle which is less than 2 years old and has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition"
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...sts/outofstate
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...s/howto/htvr09
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
Boba Vette

Drives: 68 GTO, 85 TA, 94 TA, 99 TA,10 Gen5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
I just moved from NJ to CA and had no problems. All I had to do before getting it smog tested is remove my CIA and put the OEM air box back in as it would have failed the visual. But to answer your question you should not have a problem if the car is stock. ie: no tunes, has it's cats, etc.
Why would you have to remove your cold air?
Old 10-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Vette View Post
Why would you have to remove your cold air?
Because Cali sucks! You're car can pass the actual smog check, but if the aftermarket intake isn't registered in Cali, it will cause you to fail. The aftermarket intake can even be legal nationally, but likely not in Cali.

It has nothing to do with smog and everything to do with Cali squeezing out more $ in the name of the environment.