Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-21-2018, 12:55 AM   #15
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I think I remember reading that one of the CAI makers have a doodad they can put somewhere in the CAI/filter that gives the sound of a supercharger. Anyone know anything about this product.....or was I just drunk & never really heard this?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:26 AM   #16
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
On the contrary. It absorbs reverse pulses and allows more complete cylinder filling.

What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do? | eHow
I read the article and it made me think, if it fills the cylinders more completely for more power, why did they get rid of them on the z28 intake? Seems kinda backwards....
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #17
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
I read the article and it made me think, if it fills the cylinders more completely for more power, why did they get rid of them on the z28 intake? Seems kinda backwards....
I have to believe it is more effective at the lower RPMs that street cars see most of the time. At high RPM operation the air should simply flow past it.

The LS7 in the Z/28 is built to run on a racetrack. I'm sure it is all built and tuned from intake to exhaust to be most efficient at race track speeds.

Anyway, I think we have dispelled the rumor that the resonator hampers performance for the sake of noise suppression.

Last edited by CamaroFred; 04-21-2018 at 09:42 PM. Reason: brain fart
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
rickyrocket

Drives: 2015 blk 1 SS
I fell for this bs with my Challenger k&n made no difference except draining $45 outta my pocket
Old 04-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #19
warnerwh

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I watched a video of Chevrolet engineers that designed the Camaro and they were talking about CAI's they tested. They said that the stock air box actually outperformed some CAI's. The only reason I would put a CAI on my car is if I opened up the exhaust too. The power gains that manufacturers advertise are pretty much all B.S. and the K&N filters are over hyped if you ask me. Not to mention they let a ton of dirt through and if you're not careful with the amount of oil you can cause yourself problems with your car.
warnerwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #20
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerwh View Post
I watched a video of Chevrolet engineers that designed the Camaro and they were talking about CAI's they tested. They said that the stock air box actually outperformed some CAI's. The only reason I would put a CAI on my car is if I opened up the exhaust too. The power gains that manufacturers advertise are pretty much all B.S. and the K&N filters are over hyped if you ask me. Not to mention they let a ton of dirt through and if you're not careful with the amount of oil you can cause yourself problems with your car.
Well, the new unit I have from Cold Air Inductions has shown that with their unit, an increase in 12 to 15 HP is real. I also love the way it looks and the sound difference I experienced after installation. As far as damaging the car, I can attest that I have used K&N and now Cold Air Inductions for many years without one issue. Had a K&N on my Chevy Trailblazer since 2003 and one on my Malibu since 2013 and never had an issue. I suppose if some fool over oils the darn thing, it could be an issue.

I also realize that tests have shown regular paper filters to filter better. This may be true. However, the question everyone should be asking is NOT whether a K&N style filter is worth it, but rather IS THE EXTRA COST FOR A PAPER FILTER OVER THE LIFE OF MY CAR WORTH IT? I pay once for my K&N. Over the life of a car, on average, a user will pay about $280 to $300 for paper air filters. IS THAT WORTH THE EXTRA $225 TO HAVE SLIGHTLY BETTER FILTRATION? Now that's the question you should be asking yourself!
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #21
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
Well, the new unit I have from Cold Air Inductions has shown that with their unit, an increase in 12 to 15 HP is real. I also love the way it looks and the sound difference I experienced after installation. As far as damaging the car, I can attest that I have used K&N and now Cold Air Inductions for many years without one issue. Had a K&N on my Chevy Trailblazer since 2003 and one on my Malibu since 2013 and never had an issue. I suppose if some fool over oils the darn thing, it could be an issue.

I also realize that tests have shown regular paper filters to filter better. This may be true. However, the question everyone should be asking is NOT whether a K&N style filter is worth it, but rather IS THE EXTRA COST FOR A PAPER FILTER OVER THE LIFE OF MY CAR WORTH IT? I pay once for my K&N. Over the life of a car, on average, a user will pay about $280 to $300 for paper air filters. IS THAT WORTH THE EXTRA $225 TO HAVE SLIGHTLY BETTER FILTRATION? Now that's the question you should be asking yourself!
Yes
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #22
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:

Agree 100%. Have used K&N filters or CAI in just about all of my vehicles for decades. Have never had an issue; have sold/traded many of the vehicles with over 100k miles on them, some with over 200K, all were still running strong with no mechanical issues. Figure I've saved a few dollars overall by not buying replacement paper filters, I'm happy with the quality of their product, like the way their CAI systems look and, when combined with Flowmaster exhaust, am very happy with the improved performance and sound of my Camaro (as well as with other vehicles I've owned).
Old 04-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #23
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:

With 50,000 mile air filter replacement intervals I can buy three paper filters to bring me to 200,000 miles for the price of one K&N with recharge kit.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #24
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
A drop in k&n May get 1hp. My old Halltech got about 13 on the dyno, my rotofab 15. But car has what is in my dig so take it for what it’s worth. Car is tuned also. the 5-15 hp gains seem to be from several things, freer flowing filter, larger and smoother flowing tube and larger air box. The rest seems to be how well the Cai keeps the a/f and if it advances or retards timing based on air temps.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:00 AM   #25
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Every single cai is overrated.
And way over priced!
Old 04-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #26
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
With 50,000 mile air filter replacement intervals I can buy three paper filters to bring me to 200,000 miles for the price of one K&N with recharge kit.
50,000 miles??? I believe you are really stretching that out a wee bit. I suppose it all depends on your environment, but the average for a paper filter is more like 10,000 miles. I, for one, refuse to be penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to my Camaro. Letting your filter go for 50,000 miles just to save a few bucks is really not wise.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #27
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Does anyone else have a G5CR CAI like mine? No check engine light ever and no other problems with it. I got this one because I had never seen another one on any Camaro's.
Attached Images

Last edited by OHIOSS; 04-25-2018 at 04:55 PM.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #28
ez1973

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Does anyone else have a G5CR CAI like mine? No check engine light ever and no other problems with it. I got this one because I had never seen another one on any Camaro's.

I just bought my car from a good friend. He had one installed previously. So far so good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ez1973 is offline   Reply With Quote